Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Cup
It is a very relevant issue as he is not committed to the country he is representing.
He isn't a British citizen, there fore he does not hold a UK passport & his refusal to make any attempt to sing the national anthem is symptomatic of his lack of commitment to the team and country.

I wonder if he sang the Irish national anthem when he was playing for them?
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
Sorry Paul but he is CAPTAIN of our country. I therefore expect him to show some loyalty to England. This criticism was never levelled at KP and he has always had an army of critics, including me who would have been very quick to accuse him of showing disrespect to our country.
LE - aka John
(01-03-2015, 05:13 PM)The Good Mugabe Wrote: It is a very relevant issue as he is not committed to the country he is representing.
He isn't a British citizen, there fore he does not hold a UK passport & his refusal to make any attempt to sing the national anthem is symptomatic of his lack of commitment to the team and country.

I wonder if he sang the Irish national anthem when he was playing for them?

and the answer is no

"“It’s pretty simple. I have never sang the national anthem when playing for Ireland or England. It does not make me any less proud to be an English cricketer."

Do all the England players sing it? I wouldn't because i don't agree with the royal family.
The other members of the team are UK citizens, carry British passports and have only played for England at a senior level.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
Anyway do you think dropping Morgan is going to make any difference, I don't! If the bowlers can't take wickets then we aren't going to win anyway.
Neat change of direction there :-)

It won't make the situation any worse,and will probably be a significant improvement.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
I agree TGM. A bit like football - If the team aren't scoring change the manager - oops that was not a good comparison:-) Team not winning change the manager like at Blues and Forest.
LE - aka John
significant improvement on what though? The biggest issues for me are Anderson, Broad and Finn. All three are well below where they should be. Woakes needs to be given the new ball. Stubborness to change is the biggest problem for England.

This talk about KP returning is nuts unless he's suddenly learnt how to bowl 90 mph.

Replacing Morgan will make no difference at all in my opinion. Bring on the ashes!
"Stubborness to changes is the biggest problem" - well that's the captain when it comes to bowlers out on the field and the captain and coach when it comes to batting line up and overall team selection.

Anderson has a poor record when it comes to the world cup so why do we keep him in the side.

For these reasons replacing Morgan could make a big difference.
LE - aka John
The overall strategy of the team will have being developed by the coaches and the captain.
We wasted over a year trying to keep Cook in the team, when it was obvious he wasn't 'fit for purpose' in the required role. As a consequence of the, not only were players denied the chance to play, but significant underperformance from others became an accepted norm. There was no way the management could remove a player who's form didn't justify his selection, when they were retaining Cook who was performing only fractionally better.

The result of the above is a team that, despite having all winter to concentrate on the fifty over game, is under prepared & has muddled strategy from the coach, that is being delivered badly by a stand in captain with no ability to think flexibly, nor indeed, any commitment to the team & country he is representing.

We have selected a wicketkeeper, who is barely of county standard as a keeper, because of his batting abilities, & we are failing to make the most of the bowlers we have available. Again as a result of faulty and confused strategic and tactical thinking from a coach that has already shown he isn't good enough, and a captain that is more concerned about playing in & promoting a corrupt domestic 20 over slog league in India than he is in the welfare and development of the team he is paid to lead.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
(02-03-2015, 05:17 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: "Stubborness to changes is the biggest  problem" - well that's the captain when it comes to bowlers out on the field and the captain and coach when it comes to batting line up and  overall team selection.

Anderson has a poor record when it comes to the world cup so why do we keep him in the side.

For these reasons replacing Morgan could make a big difference.

Slight difference maybe. I would guess its pre-determined who opens the bowling and more down to Moores but I concede we need a stronger character who makes his own decisions as captain. As much as people dislike Vaughan i think he was a captain who thought on his feet. 
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/icc-cricke...tournament
As usual an excellent article by George hitting the nail right on the head. The stats give a very sad account of England.
LE - aka John
yes its the bowling stats of the seamers in particular that stand out like a sore thumb. Woakes the most economical at 6.14 and the wickets column is very unimpressive. Anderson and Broad two wickets apiece and averaging over 90. Thats the two opening bowlers bowling at the time when the two white balls are doing the most. I'm sure Woakes would have much better stats if he had opened the bowling. Drop them both and bring in Jordon and Tredwell.
Who?  Biggrin

Im just so underwhelmed by it all with the England set up. Those stats make shocking reading.  20
South Africa are showing how to build an innings, starting from a solid foundation and then accelerating.

This game may well have a very large margin of victory.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
ZA win by over 200 runs, despite using their occasional overs for much of the innings.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
Well what do you expect. Its just a free game for Ireland. Its like Blues against Barcelona a mismatch, They are still in a good position to qualify though which is their main aim.
The Zimbabwe v Ireland game on Thursday will the game game for both sides, as the losers are unlikely to qualify.

Having seen all the sides play several times now, I think its fair to say that none of the other sides would replace swap their coach for Moores, or their captain for Morgan. Indeed all the other sides only play citizens of that country, countries in the case of the West Indies.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
I would argue that if Morgan was playing for Ireland he would be good because there would be no pressure and its pressure that makes players underperform. We have seen it with Bell at times. It takes a tough man to captain the England side with all the media attention that comes with it.

I think Ireland could cause an upset against Pakistan