Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Cup
(25-02-2015, 02:01 PM)The Good Mugabe Wrote: It is actually an ECB proposal to reduce tests and ODI's to have even more 20 over slog cricket.

No thank you, the longer forms of the game require more skill, and physical and mental ability, also requiring a greater range of skills.

Having read the cricinfo article on the proposals, there is very little that I would consider will actually make the game more attractive.

Is it Colin Graves? his plans are to cut the number of championship games, have a ipl type tournament and stop 50 over cricket. He will turn it into a cheap convenience store. He talks about highlights on terrestrial. I tell you its meaningless. How many people on here watch the itv highlights of the world cup. They need to get live cricket back on free to view tv. Nobody cares about highlights when you know the result. Football yes cricket no!
I'm all for stopping 50 over cricket..... But the bit I can't believe is that they want to reduce the number of teams ???? The associate members have contributed quite a bit at the last few 50 and 20 over world cups... Indeed the last few 50 over versions would have been even duller without them. Ireland versus UAE was a cracker..... Why do away with that ?

Don't get me going on cricket and TV.....
Yes if theres one sport that needs to expand its horizons its cricket. Are we going to go back to the days of 6 or 7 countries. The problem they have is the world cup is too long. They should be playing two matches a day at least.
Totally agree Paul.

Keep the associates ... But more games a day. The great thing about the T20 World Cup is that it happens quickly and countries like Netherlands, Ireland etc are in it. Strip down the countries in the 50 over World Cup and what have you got? The champions trophy take 2? Perhaps it's a plan to get rid of international 50 over cricket?
Yes they'll just get rid of the champions trophy and replace it with another one every 4 years. Oh well we have the Qatar world cup to look forward to in November 2022. At least no clash with the drastically reduced county championship. Or maybe not because we'll just have 5 games in April and 5 games in september.
I suspect the domestic football season will start in June until September. Stop a month before the world cup restart a couple of weeks after the wc final and go on until end of May. That will impact on the cricket season in both 2022 and 2023.
Although I suppose by then all the ECB has to do is find a way to reschedule the T20 games because there wont be anything else played by the franchises.
LE - aka John
I wouldn't have thought it would start that early. If the world cup starts in late November they will break the season in early November and return possibly for boxing day 3 days after the world cup final. The season might start a week or two early and finish a week or two late.
Back to cricket!

A fascinating low scoring match between Scotland & Afghanistan, yet again with swings in the advantage that you wouldn't get in shorter forms of the game. This is a lot more interesting and tense than a 8 runs an over slogfest.
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
That was probably the best and most tension filled game so far in the tournament.

It was a great example of how 50 over cricket allows time for team to recover from bad positions and for the balance of the game to swing dramatically.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
Yes Macleod is having a mare of a tournament. Maybe Coleman will replace him next match
Without the associates the World Cup would be dross..... They add something and need to be nurtured and encouraged...... What the ICC plans to do is wrong IMHO.
and congratulations to Andy Moles and the Afghanistan team. He's doing a terrific job, brave, helping unite the Country. With all the problems over there, this result will make such a difference to the morale of the people. I can only imagine how excited they will be by this.
(26-02-2015, 12:55 PM)Warleybear Wrote: Without the associates the World Cup would be dross..... They add something and need to be nurtured and encouraged...... What the ICC plans to do is wrong IMHO.

Dross is a bit strong!
The logical compromise is a 12 team tournament, with regional qualifying tournaments for all countries.
The top three countries from each reqional tournament qualify for the finals competition.
Europe & North America, Australasia & Pacific, Africa & South America, Asia including the middle east.

A simple, logical and fair solution that rewards the teams that do well in the qualifying tournaments.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
deja vu
Sometimes the idea is so right it needs repeating until the rest of the world realise!

:-)
There are GOOD Mugabe's
But theres no ddb anymore to tease.
Whatever happened to DDB?

Hopefully a long long sentence with hard labour :-)
There are GOOD Mugabe's
The NZ v Aus game was wonderful, even though it was low scoring, it was full of high quality bowling, tension & advantage swings.
Yet another great example of the entertaining high quality cricket found in the 50 over game.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
This was a cracker... But outside this, scotland v Afghanistan, Ireland UAE ... I think there's also been a lot of one sided tosh. Plenty of three figure run wins .... Even one over 250. 9898 

Lets hope the tournament improves.... The Aus / NZ game gives me hope..... It may have low scoring..... but it was very exciting and shows what can be achieved in even 40 overs.  Lightbulb