Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Cup
Is it acceptable to have a team captain that isn't a citizen of the country he is representing, and furthermore refuses to sing the national Anthem of that country?

It would help if his form merited a place in the team too, something it doesn't now, or indeed all winter.
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
To counter that argument is it any less acceptable for a person born and brought up in South Africa or Australia to play for England. I have no issues with either but i don't think you can use the argument about an Irishman captaining this country when you agree with the other.
All the people brought up in Aus or SA have a British passport, and have family links with the UK, so have a commitment to the UK. That is not the case with Morgan, he is not a UK citizen, has no family links with the UK, nor does he hold a UK passport.

There is a world of difference between someone like Sam Hain who was brought up in Australia by British parents and Morgan who after playing for Ireland decided he'd make more money if he changed nationality. For the record, Boyd Rankin is from Ulster, so is a British citizen.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
Ireland are only an associate member, he couldn't fufill his potential by continuing to play for Ireland. He wanted to play for England since he was a young boy. I have absolutely no problem with it, Further more I think Morgan is a great role model for Ireland and will encourage more kids in Ireland to take up the game

Further-more my late father was born and brought up in Kildare and moved to this Country to work in the mines in Hedesford. he married a local girl and I know if he was alive to day he would be loving it.

I wish Morgan every success. I think he should bat in a position where hes going to be there at the end of the innings.
In that case we need to hold him back for 49.5 overs so he only has to face the last ball!

I feel if you are going to represent a country you should be a citizen of that country, carry that nations passport and make a commitment to that country.

None of the above apply to Morgan.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
The only way Morgan can have a chance at being there at the end of the innings is to go in when there is a fall of wicket after the 45th over. Tongue

At what age was he interviewed when he stated he wanted to play for England when he grows up? And if that really was the case why did he ever play for Ireland?

However, like you I wish him every success - I just wish he would hurry up and be consistently successful.
LE - aka John
13, maybe I am thinking diffeently, but South Africa is a million miles from England, Ireland is next door, theres a closer connection and Ireland are only an associate member and he did his time in county cricket, qualified for England under the current rules and so whats the problem. Same as Boyd, maybe he's from the north, but he still played a lot more years for Ireland than Morgan did.
Incidently do you still think Coleman will score more runs than Porterfield and which Country will do best. For me Ireland have a very good chance of getting to the last 8 which would be a major achievement. Scotland although they did well with the ball against New Zealand look a little out of their depth.
Yes, I still think Freddie will do well. Scotland now have their two easiest games with Bangladesh and Afghanistan.

The Scotland team are lacking experience against test playing nations, but I'd expect them to improve throughout the tournament. I can't see Ireland getting close to South Africa, Pakistan or India, so to qualify they will have to beat both Zimbabwe and UAE.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
They could beat Pakistan I think, no Ajmal to worry about and Irelans have already beaten the windies so are now in prime position
It looks like UAE may record their first CWC win today, Ireland currently 97-4 having wasted their one decision review.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
Yes nearly 10 an over now. Come on Ireland!
Great knock from O'brien. Now just finish the job off Ireland
Interesting that there wouldn't be the massive position swings in the game if this was a shorter form of the game.

At the moment the game could go either way.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
Yep great game, best for of one day cricket by a mile. They made a great case for having the associates in the world cup.
and Ireland get over the line. Well played the UAE though!
The ECB scrapped the more enjoyable 40 over game to match the ODI's 50 over format. Now the ICC is to consider changing the ODI format to 40 overs.

Also looking to reduce test matches to 4 days.
LE - aka John
Well I really hope they don't reduce the odis to 40 overs. A the Good Mugabe stated when you shorten the format theres less fluctuations in games. Ok maybe people have a shorter attention spans these days and we like to see 4s and 6s off every ball but that isn't what cricket should be just about.

I understand why test cricket should be reduced to 4 days as most tests are over within that time but there has to be some provision for the weather.
It is actually an ECB proposal to reduce tests and ODI's to have even more 20 over slog cricket.

No thank you, the longer forms of the game require more skill, and physical and mental ability, also requiring a greater range of skills.

Having read the cricinfo article on the proposals, there is very little that I would consider will actually make the game more attractive.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
For me -
20 over cricket has no plsce at international level -it is a fun game for short span entertainment at club level.
40 over cricket is long enough to allow for skills rather than slog. Also I feel the time span fits in better than 50 over cricket for spectators.

Test matches being reduced to 4 days has a lot of merit these days as runs are scored at a faster rate. However, the number of overs bowled in a day has to be increased. Perhaps, the 5th day could be changed to a reserve day to make up whatever time has been lost due to weather.
LE - aka John