Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ian Westwood
Sorry to see him go.
I'm sure that he will make a great umpire.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Warwickshire have appointed Ian Westwood as Development Coach.
He will work with players across the academy and professional teams on improving their batting skills and as a mentor with the club's young players to ensure that they understand what is required to play at the top level.
https://warwickshireccc.com/news/warwick...oach-role/
Although he adds to the quota of ex-Bears on the coaching staff, he is surely just the kind of respected figure that players will listen to and want to work with.
(07-11-2017, 04:25 PM)Terry Wrote: Warwickshire have appointed Ian Westwood as Development Coach.
He will work with players across the academy and professional teams on improving their batting skills and as a mentor with the club's young players to ensure that they understand what is required to play at the top level.
Although he adds to the quota of ex-Bears on the coaching staff, he is surely just the kind of respected figure that players will listen to and want to work with.

Sorry Terry disagree strongly.  Whilst I'm reasonably OK with the appointment of Pop Welch after he's done the rounds of a few other counties - for me this is yet another FFS moment.

I know he is respected, I know he was a dedicated servant to the club. But I stand by my opinion that he was a player of limited ability who managed to eke out a very long county career from a a mediocre talent.

Surely there are other none-Bears ex-players out there who could perform this role just as well and bring a neutral eye to the ongoing problems with the batting side.

I don't like this appointment one jot.
[-] The following 2 users Like DaveC's post:
Bald Reynard, Fuerteventura Bear
(07-11-2017, 06:02 PM)DaveC Wrote:
(07-11-2017, 04:25 PM)Terry Wrote: Warwickshire have appointed Ian Westwood as Development Coach.

Sorry Terry disagree strongly.  Whilst I'm reasonably OK with the appointment of Pop Welch after he's done the rounds of a few other counties - for me this is yet another FFS moment.

I know he is respected, I know he was a dedicated servant to the club. But I stand by my opinion that he was a player of limited ability who managed to eke out a very long county career from a a mediocre talent.

Surely there are other none-Bears ex-players out there who could perform this role just as well and bring a neutral eye to the ongoing problems with the batting side.

I don't like this appointment one jot.

I agree with you Dave.  It strikes as 'old boy favouritism' again.  I'm happy with 'Pop' Welch's appointment, he has at least has gained experience at other Counties and can bring a fresh insight into the Edgbaston Dressing Room.  IW has been, 'man and boy, a Bear' - and can bring no outside thoughts on what needs to change.  If they were going to appoint a Development Coach, at this stage in the Club's fortunes, when 'in-house remedies' seemed to have failed, I would have thought new blood was vital.  However, perhaps a more significent disappointment in the Coaching staff announcement, was the fact that Tony Frost stays as Batting Coach - how they can ever justify his retention, given the batting failures over recent years, I'll never know !
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bald Reynard's post:
Fuerteventura Bear
I guess that time will be the judge.
Just because a player had limited success on the field does not mean he can't be a good coach and vice versa 9 perfect example being Blues manager before 'Arry.

However I do agree it is a strange appointment bearing in mind his ambition was to move on in to umpiring - in May no mention was made regarding going in to coaching. I would much rather have seen the club appoint a top batting coach and let that person decide if he needs assistance.

But, as you say Terry, time will be the judge.
LE - aka John
Ian did spend time after he stopped playing with the squad in a 'mentoring' role. Obviously the clubs management decided they wanted to make that permanent position, and it is good that the club see the importance of having someone to help and advise players moving from age group cricket to the professional game. As a player who had to work hard to make the most of his talent Ian is more suited to the role than a more "naturally talented" player, who didn't have to work as hard to succeed.

Coaching and playing require different skills, just because someone was successful as a player does not mean they will succeed as a coach. The club is restructuring the coaching structure and we need to allow the new coaching team time to work with the current squad and academy players to rebuild the squad.
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
(08-11-2017, 05:31 AM)The Good Mugabe Wrote: Ian  did spend time after he stopped playing with the squad in a 'mentoring' role. Obviously the clubs management decided they wanted to make that permanent position, and it is good that the club see the importance of having someone to help and advise players moving from age group cricket to the professional game.  As a player who had to work hard to make the most of his talent Ian is more suited to the role than a more "naturally talented" player, who didn't have to work as hard to succeed.  

Coaching and playing require different skills, just because someone was successful as a player does not mean they will succeed as a coach.  The club is restructuring the coaching structure and we need to allow the new coaching team time to work with the current squad and academy players to rebuild the squad.

Sorry - again strongly disagree.

Westwood's occupancy of a first-team place at Edgbaston over a long period when his limited effectiveness was reducing exponentially over that time was symptomatic of the hubris and complacency that has afflicted the club in all areas.

Frankly, had our scouting,coaching and development system been working properly he would have left Edgbaston a long time ago.

To now bring him back in as a "development mentor" due to some perceived gut feeling amongst the senior management and after only a couple of months of informal  freelancing is indicative to me that lessons have still not been learnt.

This is not about whether a test batsman with plenty-thousand runs to his name makes a better coach than a journeyman pro.

It's about embedding failure into a an already fragile eco-system. The coaching team needs a completely fresh start.

This appointment and Tony Frost's continued presence in his role sends out all the wrong messages IMO.

I just hope I'm proved wrong.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DaveC's post:
Fuerteventura Bear
The fact that Ashley made the presumably-not-easy decision to dispense with Richardson and Armstrong shows to me that he won't employ someone just because they're a former Bear or a nice person. That makes me think that he's thought about this appointment and must be sure that it's for the best.
Proud to be a Bear
[-] The following 1 user Likes Exiled Bear's post:
rednalbear