Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saeed Ajmal
Ajmal's action has been reported. There seems to be a bit of a witchhunt against bent arm bowlers right now....Must be worrying for him and Pakistan. I think if found illegal at 36 theres no time for him to change it and come back. The way things are the doosra will become a thing of the past.
His action has always had more in common with a darts player than a proper bowlers.

It would be better for the game if ALL throwers were cleaned out of the game.
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Good Mugabe's post:
Redditchbear
The common factor here is Ian Gould, who was umpiring in Sri Lanka and was also officiating in the ODI over here when the Sri Lankan "long sleeves" merchant was reported. Maybe he's taking the same strong line as the late Syd Buller?
Good point TRB. I take a different view than most people because i like variety in the game. You take out the mystery spinners and we loose a lot. In Ajmal's case he has a naturally bent arm because of a road accident but the question is whether he is straightening his arm more than the 15 degrees allowance upon delivery. There's nothing in the icc regulations which says you cant bowl with a bent arm.
Amazing how all these throwers seem to have deformities or injured arms!

They are throwing and need to be eliminated from the game.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
(11-08-2014, 07:24 PM)The Good Mugabe Wrote: Amazing how all these throwers seem to have deformities or injured arms!

They are throwing and need to be eliminated from the game.

Just for the novelty of it, I agree with Mugabe on this one
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
[/quote]

Just for the novelty of it, I agree with Mugabe on this one
[/quote]

Are you feeling unwell? This is worrying, although good to see your on the right side of the debate :-)
There are GOOD Mugabe's
To be fair I doubt whether anybody will agree with me on this.
Not when Terry is agreeing with me :-)
There are GOOD Mugabe's
I agree with getting throwers out of the game. Watching the Sri Lankans bowl to England in the last world cup quarter final was like watching throwers at a funfair trying to knock over coconuts. I am sick of the ICC bending the rules to allow a certain percentage of bend just to accomodate certain bowlers. It makes no difference if you are born with some sort of deformity, if you throw then you are not bowling.
I do agree with you Paul,mystery spinners bring something to the game,rather them than medium pace fingers bowling to defensive fields
So let's introduce pitchers from NY Mets and just tell them they have to bring their arm over their shoulder before releasing the ball. Povey could change our name to the Birmingham Hole-In Sox.
LE - aka John
[-] The following 1 user Likes Leicester Exile's post:
paulbear
Yes nothing worse that just watching the same type bowlers over and over again. Malinga's action is perfectly legit. What the icc have got to be careful of is getting rid of the doosra altogether. We could end up with no spinners left in the game....
Play decent length games on well prepared wickets, that have pace and bounce, , and with good sized boundaries, then you will get a variety of legal bowling styles.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
(11-08-2014, 10:29 PM)Paul Wrote: Yes nothing worse that just watching the same type bowlers over and over again. Malinga's action is perfectly legit. What the icc have got to be careful of is getting rid of the doosra altogether. We could end up with no spinners left in the game....

Really !!!! He's not called Malinga the Slinga just 'cos it rhymes.
LE - aka John
Again with wickets, theres no harm in variety to test the bowlers and batters skills in all conditions.
(11-08-2014, 10:36 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote:
(11-08-2014, 10:29 PM)Paul Wrote: Yes nothing worse that just watching the same type bowlers over and over again. Malinga's action is perfectly legit. What the icc have got to be careful of is getting rid of the doosra altogether. We could end up with no spinners left in the game....

Really !!!! He's not called Malinga the Slinga just 'cos it rhymes.

WG Grace bowled with a round arm. Jeff Thompson too. and Round arm bowling is not against the rules. As long as he doesn't straighten his arm by more than 15 degress its fine.
I have watched Malinga over the years and recorded him bowling and have slowed it down whilst replaying it and am convinced he is a chucker. Mystery bowlers are all well and good but not when they chuck. The trouble with a lot of these bowlers in question is that they have gone through the various stages of being picked at youth, U-19 ,etc level and no one has questioned their legitimacy because they have success and lack of proper coaching lets them escape any sort of judging. When I played club cricket there was a bowler who in the nets gave everyone trouble, was accurate and very fast. But he chucked. One of the members of the club commitee who had played for years told him he had better change his action as he would not get picked . I cannot imagine anyone in Sri Lanka or Pakistan saying that to a chucker as any success they had would be seen to be a good thing. That might sound patronising and I would in some quarters be accused of having a 'colonialist' attitude but if you consider how many English bowlers have been spotted and reported by English umpires, you would have to agree that it has nothing to do with having a rant at overseas 'Mystery' bowlers rather a case of trying to stop chuckers or else we might as well let every side have 5 players who just try and throw at the stumps.
[-] The following 1 user Likes paulbear's post:
Leicester Exile
Malinga was looked at by the icc but they were satisfied its legal. It may look wrong but its perfectly within the rules to bowl with a slingy round arm action as long as he doesn't striaghten it by more than 15 degrees, which he doesn't. You don't throw a ball like Malinga bowls it. Ajmal was passed before but if the icc decide he exceeds the 15 degrees limit now then fair enough.
Jeff Thomson didn't bowl round-arm. He just delivered the ball from way behind his back almost behind his left buttock. His action was unusual but probably as Richie Benaud once said, the most natural action you could ever see. There is no way he ever chucked and although I have heard comparisons, I think his action is a million miles away from Malucker (sorry Malinga, got my rhymes mixed up).