Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Laurie Evans
There's no doubt that Laurie has had a great few weeks. Brought us a trophy. Got his name known. Good lad.

Now the reality check. Does anybody remember James Benning? Thought not. In the early days of T20 he was the hot prospect. Smacked it about a lot, got talked up as England's future. Then someone pointed out that if he didn't have the technique to get into Surrey's CC side (which he didn't) it wouldn't take international bowlers long to sort him out in limited overs games. He drifted off to Leicestershire then faded away.

So if this is not going to be as good as it gets for Laurie he needs to work on building an innings. He had a very good year in the CC last season and had every opportunity to build on that this season. Instead he's averaging 10 in red ball cricket with a highest score of 24. There's work to do.
Yes I remember him. Is it a technical issue with Laurie and the red ball or is it just a blip in form! Who knows, it happens to a lot of players, one great season, followed by a poor one. Bell in 2001 then the next two years he could barely get a run.

Lot of luck involved in batting too. If the luck goes your way and you get some runs, then the next time you go out to bat you have more confidence, move your feet better. He just needs a chance again and a bit of luck and get back into form. He is more than just a hitter in my opinion.
The difficult thing will be getting and taking the chance, I'd think our top five is settled for the rest of the season.

Laurie & Ateeq will have to start next season scoring lots of second team runs, so they are the player chosen when a vacancy opens in the first team.
While Robert may be dead, Robert was not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
They probably are but things can happen which can change things.
I think there may be an opening for at least one of the remaining championship games, as there is a Scotland v Ireland ODI series, meaning that Porterfield and Coleman will be off representing their countries.

Time for Jon Webb to make his championship debut perhaps?
There are GOOD Mugabe's
Would you pick Webb ahead of Evans?
(26-08-2014, 08:18 PM)Paul Wrote: Would you pick Webb ahead of Evans?

I don't think you really need to ask that question...
Proud to be a Bear
You will never know :-)
There are GOOD Mugabe's
Wouldn't make much sense after giving Evans a 3 year contract.
(26-08-2014, 07:33 PM)The Good Mugabe Wrote: I think there may be an opening for at least one of the remaining championship games, as there is a Scotland v Ireland ODI series, meaning that Porterfield and Coleman will be off representing their countries.

When is this'vital'Scotlandv.Ireland series& how long does it last?
Yes 3 vital games between the 8/12 september so I'd imagine its just the Northants fixture.
(26-08-2014, 11:01 PM)Paul Wrote: Yes 3 vital games between the 8/12 september so I'd imagine its just the Northants fixture.

Thanks Paul,could have been worse
Hopefully there will be some good cricket
There are GOOD Mugabe's
(26-08-2014, 07:33 PM)The Good Mugabe Wrote: I think there may be an opening for at least one of the remaining championship games, as there is a Scotland v Ireland ODI series, meaning that Porterfield and Coleman will be off representing their countries.

Porterfield is not in the squad to play Scotland- neither is Ed Joyce. As the games are against another Associate the county matches presumably take preference.

Freddie Coleman seems to have dropped out of the Scotland side but if the likes of Coetzer and MacLeod are not available he might get a chance this time. I'm sure he will be released to play for Scotland if selected.
Excerpt from ECB statement about outcomes from the ECB’s Cricket Discipline Commission:
"[Paul] Collingwood was reported by umpires David Millns and Graham Lloyd during Durham’s LV= County Championship match against Warwickshire on 12th – 15th July 2015 for a Level Two breach of the code (showing serious dissent at an umpire’s decision by word or action). The penalty for this offence is three penalty points.

[Laurie] Evans was reported during the same match for a Level One breach of the code (using language that is obscene, offensive or insulting and/or making an obscene gesture). The penalty for this offence is a reprimand."
Views on here are my own; but you can keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
(15-07-2015, 05:24 PM)Terry Wrote: Excerpt from ECB statement about outcomes from the ECB’s Cricket Discipline Commission:
"[Paul] Collingwood was reported by umpires David Millns and Graham Lloyd during Durham’s LV= County Championship match against Warwickshire on 12th – 15th July 2015 for a Level Two breach of the code (showing serious dissent at an umpire’s decision by word or action). The penalty for this offence is three penalty points.

[Laurie] Evans was reported during the same match for a Level One breach of the code (using language that is obscene, offensive or insulting and/or making an obscene gesture). The penalty for this offence is a reprimand."

Collingwood showed dissent at both of his dismissals, surely this means he should get six points?
Proud to be a Bear
It sounded like the players didn't have too much faith in the umpires.

There was an abnormally high number of LBW decisions.
LE - aka John
Joined Northants on a month's loan for red ball cricket only. In the squad to play Glamorgan.

Presumably he is still available for the RLODC quarter final.
Red ball cricket only - a good idea.
Views on here are my own; but you can keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/