Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Laurie Evans
I'd leave out Westwood but i know you won't agree. Evans I know hasn't done anything in the championship this season, but his potential is far greater than Westwoods. We have to look at the future as well as the present and if Evans doesn't play he will be off I think. He isn't going to want to stick around to play just one day cricket.

in 2013 Westwood averaged 26 and Porterfield 14. They are both lucky boys the club have been so loyal to them.
Positions6 to8must include Rikki Clarke,doubt Woakes will play as the test starts same day,same time
No think Woakes will keep his place in the England side.
Simon, I was speaking in general terms, not specifically for Friday.
While Robert may be dead, Robert was not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
Speaking in general terms should include Rikki Clarke
I wasn't at the post-match Press Conference but my colleague Tom Huelin told me that Laurie Evans, as well as spelling out his ambition to play for England, admitted that he came very close to leaving earlier this season - not necessarily to go down South, as was rumoured. No county was mentioned but the implication was that Notts were interested. Anyway, with the new contract, he now seems firmly confirmed as a Bear, of both the Birmingham and Warwickshire varieties.
Views on here are my own; but you can keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Good to hear Terry. He's such a good finisher in t20 that I can see England picking him in that format.
(24-08-2014, 02:15 PM)Terry Wrote: I wasn't at the post-match Press Conference but my colleague Tom Huelin told me that Laurie Evans, as well as spelling out his ambition to play for England, admitted that he came very close to leaving earlier this season - not necessarily to go down South, as was rumoured. No county was mentioned but the implication was that Notts were interested. Anyway, with the new contract, he now seems firmly confirmed as a Bear, of both the Birmingham and Warwickshire varieties.

Good old Notts! Don't bother to develop your own players, just pinch them off other counties.
(24-08-2014, 03:37 PM)The Red Baron Wrote:
(24-08-2014, 02:15 PM)Terry Wrote: I wasn't at the post-match Press Conference but my colleague Tom Huelin told me that Laurie Evans, as well as spelling out his ambition to play for England, admitted that he came very close to leaving earlier this season - not necessarily to go down South, as was rumoured. No county was mentioned but the implication was that Notts were interested. Anyway, with the new contract, he now seems firmly confirmed as a Bear, of both the Birmingham and Warwickshire varieties.

Good old Notts! Don't bother to develop your own players, just pinch them off other counties.

I don't think we can get too precious about this. After all, of the winning eleven:
Chopra came from Essex
Porterfield - Gloucestershire
Clarke - Derbushire/Surrey
Evans - Surrey
Ambrose - Sussex
Rankin - Derbyshire
Hannon-Dalby - Yorkshire
and Jeetan Patel is our overseas man.
So that only leaves Bell, Woakes and Ateeq as truly home-grown.
Views on here are my own; but you can keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Yes, but all have improved while being here and most of those were unwanted at their former counties, for example, Clarke was effectively on the scrap heap after, effectively, being fired by both Surrey and Derbyshire.
Rankin, OHD & Evans were in their counties Second teams.

While not playing yesterday, Webb, McKay, Hain, Gordon & Coleman have being developed by the club.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
Chris Adams said that Evans would never play first team cricket while he was at Surrey so he left and came to us...Yes most of our players have come from other counties. We have done very well at recruiting players who wern't exactly first choices for their counties. Chopra wasn't a regular in the Essex side.
We must remember that for many years our player development program's were not the best, and that lots of time and resources were spent on players that failed to develop into viable first team players,we also lost Moeen and Graham Wagg at an early age, when both should have been part of our squads for many years.

Now we have a stated aim to build sustainable long term success based on players we have developed, which given time, & the proper resources, will happen.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
I hear all of that. But seven out of 11 players from other counties doesn't entitle us to look down on others. And that's without bringing Chris Wright and Richard Jones into the equation.
In their quarter final match, Notts had four home-grown players so there's not much difference there.
I could also list the players we tried to get and failed - including one or two like James Taylor who went to Notts.
Maybe if we've got say) eight home-grown players in the team in three years, the situation will be different. I hope so.
Yes Stuart Broad, James Taylor, Stephen Moore, David Sales. Alex Gidman to name just a few. If you think about it we haven't had many home grown come through our academy in the last 10 years. I think we have seen more given an opportunity under Dougie than we did under Ashley though.
The side is at a different stage of its development compared to when Ashley took over. Remember we had been relegated in two forms of the game, players were leaving and confidence within the squad was at an all time low thanks to the mismanagement of the 'Badbatch' era. so the first priority was to regain div 1 status, stabilise the side and restore confidence, as well as devote resources to find and develop our own young players, which takes time.

We have now moved on to a situation where we are one of the top four counties in all forms of the game, we have a stable, but evolving squad and have a number of promising young players coming into the side and contributing. Yes, some of these players have been attached to other counties, but in almost every case their previous counties released the players and their ability has improved with Warwickshire.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
Oh, I forgot to mention that we would have had Shoaib Malik in the team if he'd been able to get a visa; and he quite likely would have replaced Ateeq.
I agree wholeheartedly with the view that the Club has, in general, got the best out of the players it has recruited from other counties, which is a massive plus. But there's every chance that if we'd been able to recruit some of the higher profile players mentioned by Paul, we would have been less inclined to go for other counties' cast-offs.
Anyway, I think the next year or so will be key in seeing how many of the young players will really make it. I hope that none of Mugabe's swans turn out to be geese. I have no doubt about Hain and Ateeq Javid. I also like Recordo Gordon, though based on some of the slow-motion replays of his disastrous over against Notts, he might just need to straighten his elbow a bit less. I haven't seen enough of the others to form a view. If they were all to make it, that would be a fantastic boost for the Club and a credit to the coaching staff.
I just happen to think that we shouldn't be too gung-ho about the potential of all these young players. Some on this Board were willingly waving goodbye to Laurie Evans just a month or so ago, on the basis that he was over-rated and other, younger players were supposedly better.
Yes I spotted that with Gordon too terry. It's just the odd delivery. The likes of Webb, Coleman and Lewis are about 22 so they need to force their way into the first team
in the next year.

It isn't as if we have looked at other counties and seen their form players and said "He's a good player, let's try and get hold of him and see if we can pay him more to leave". So many of our recruits from other counties were going nowhere. Ambrose was competing with Prior at Sussex, Chopra was not getting regular games at Essex, Olly was unwanted at Yorkshire and Rankin was not the bowler he is now and because of it was not getting picked at Derby. Only Porterfield at Glouc was a regular pick. We appear to have lifted these players to heights beyond where they might have gone. A big plus for the club and coaches/management for handling these players and obviously giving them more confidence now. If Evans was told by Surrey he'd get no first team cricket then it's no wonder he left and I bet they regret it now.
[-] The following 2 users Like paulbear's post:
Leicester Exile, The Good Mugabe
All it needs is for a couple of players each year to come into the core group that are considered for every game, obviously not all of the young players will develop into first team regulars, for a number of reasons, including opportunity for a player with their skills, however without putting resources into player development and allowing the opportunity to play we'll never develop our own players.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
(25-08-2014, 11:22 AM)paulbear Wrote: It isn't as if we have looked at other counties and seen their form players and said "He's a good player, let's try and get hold of him and see if we can pay him more to leave". So many of our recruits from other counties were going nowhere. Ambrose was competing with Prior at Sussex, Chopra was not getting regular games at Essex, Olly was unwanted at Yorkshire and Rankin was not the bowler he is now and because of it was not getting picked at Derby. Only Porterfield at Glouc was a regular pick. We appear to have lifted these players to heights beyond where they might have gone. A big plus for the club and coaches/management for handling these players and obviously giving them more confidence now. If Evans was told by Surrey he'd get no first team cricket then it's no wonder he left and I bet they regret it now.

Do you mean when they are out of contract because otherwise that would be illegal. To be fair we have gone after the big names but just haven't got them.