Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Laurie Evans
According to Brian Halford writing in the Coventry Telegraph, the Club have withdrawn their offer of a new 3-year contract for Laurie Evans. This was on the table at the end of last season, but Evans opted not to sign it, waiting instead to see if he could get something better if he had another good season.

He may still get a new contract offer but, as things stand, he is out of contract at the end of this season and free, therefore, to talk to other Counties from next month.
"Look at the results. Look at the table. Everything else is just opinion"
Based on this seasons performances, I'd be surprised if he was offered a long term deal by the club, indeed, with the new batsmen developing, he may be lucky to even get the offer of a one year deal.
While Robert may be dead, Robert was not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
It may just be 'second season syndrome' for both he and Ateeq. It happens to a lot of batsmen after a 'breakthrough' season once other teams have worked out their weak areas. Remember that even Ian Bell had a brilliant first full season in 2001 but could n't buy a run the following year.

Roger Twose was even worse. Scored 1400 runs at 40 in 1992, then 224 at an average of 12 in 11 matches the following season before coming back with a bang in 1994.

So don't let's write Laurie off just yet
I wondering whether its just cricketing reasons the offer has been withdrawn. Huge shame if he leaves as you don't become a bad player overnight... Lets be honest here... Will Porterfield has an absolute shocker last season and doesn't get dropped. Evans has a couple of bad games and is dropped.... Whats going on? I suspect he's on his way out though and I don't blame him as he's wasted a number of years scoring runs for our 2nds. I'm sure there will be quite a few counties who will want to take him off our hands...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul's post:
parkfield bear
Remember he's not young, he's 27 in October, and his performances this season have made the club reconsider their position. I'm sure he'll get offers from Division two clubs, but it's unlikely another top division county would sign him. Of course I could be wrong.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/cont...56956.html
There are GOOD Mugabe's
Sounds as if you can't wait to get him out of the door.
Not the case, just analysing the situation & taking an impartial viewpoint.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
Well, if you would be happy to see him stay you will be encouraged to note that Roger Twose was 25 when he had his "second season" mentioned above so he was hardly a youngster either.

As Brian Halford also said in his article about Evans "... the quality which underpinned his 943 championship runs (average 55.47) last season has not disappeared ".
I think Andy Moles was about that age when he broke into the first team.

The next few weeks will be important for many players on the staff, and indeed for young players in the second team and academy who are aiming to get their first full contract.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
Totally agree Kevin. Arguably our best batsman last season. It seems stupid to withdraw the contract, can't be just cricketing reasons. And 26 is young.

Porterfield and Westwood are oldsr

Paul, I would think that the length of the contract may be the issue. His loss of form may cause second thoughts about a 3-year contract, but I can't believe that they won't offer a revised contract for, probably, one year.
Well if another county comes along with a better offer he'll be off. I thought he was the future of our batting...
Link to the article http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/c...re-7408363
There are GOOD Mugabe's
Maybe its a bit of spite from Colin Povey as he stalled on excepting the original offer...
(12-07-2014, 06:12 PM)Paul Wrote: Maybe its a bit of spite from Colin Povey as he stalled on excepting the original offer...

You can't blame CP for everything Paul! Dougie would have a major say in the team contracts........I think he's a fool and should have taken the 3year contract on the table at the end of last year. Based on this year, I wouldn't be offering a contract of that length to him again. Plus Sam Hain has overtaken him probably earlier than everyone thought.
Yes maybe but still think its a player we can't afford to loose. I know Sam Hain has done well but he's still very young and we all know what can happen in cricket.
Perhaps Evans believes he is better than he really is and as such must suffer the consequences. A 1 year contract is the best he can really hope for.
LE - aka John
No doubt he does but don't you think he deserves a bit more than that after last season.... We aren't exactly flush with batting are we?
After last season he was offered more than that but he declined.
LE - aka John
The club DID think he was worth more than one year, because they offered him three, which is a very decent offer based on one very good season. However, he chose to turn it down, thinking he could earn a better deal.

I hardly see how the club can be blamed in all this. I guess Laurie probably has an agent (maybe one used to dealing with footballers and football clubs) and if so that person is probably the real villain of this piece.
[-] The following 2 users Like The Red Baron's post:
Harborne Bear, narsty simon