Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Books
You can talk about any books here. It doesn't have to be related to cricket. What about your favourite book? Fav Author? Book you have read recently.

Last book I read was Chris Cleave Gold....
I enjoy all books by Alexander McCall Smith, I haven't read a bad book by him yet!
Proud to be a Bear
On a topical note I have just read Andrew Strauss's Autobiography - Driving Ambition. I found it one of the best autobiography cricket books. And he was quite polite about KP.

Just past the way through Everywhere We Went bout the Barmy Army. By god can they drink..............
LE - aka John
(07-07-2014, 07:09 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: On a topical note I have just read Andrew Strauss's Autobiography - Driving Ambition. I found it one of the best autobiography cricket books. And he was quite polite about KP.

Just past the way through Everywhere We Went bout the Barmy Army. By god can they drink..............

I don't know how people can have the capacity for so much alchohol. They must pay for it later in life.
(07-07-2014, 07:09 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: On a topical note I have just read Andrew Strauss's Autobiography - Driving Ambition. I found it one of the best autobiography cricket books. And he was quite polite about KP.

I don't know how people can have the capacity for so much alchohol. They must pay for it later in life.
Got to be 'Nordic Noir' for me anytime. Anything by Jo Nesbo, Mankell etc & if you like the style & haven't watched The Killing or The Bridge, you don't know what you're missing. Don't know how they do it but the Scandinavians are just brilliant at crime! Branagh's Wallander was pitiful compared to the original.

On a lighter note, Nasser Hussain's autobiography is one of the best I've read.
Really enjoying the "Nordic lite" books of Jonas Jonasson. Read the first one - The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out Of The Window And Disappeared". Currently halfway through the follow up "The Girl Who Saved The King Of Sweden" Both books mix humourous fictional narrative with real events - a bit like Forrest Gump or Woody Allen's Zelig.

Would highly reccomend. Very different to anything I've ever read.
Just finished my first Stephen King book. .... 11:22:63. Apparently very different to his other books. Very readable in a light way with a different angle on the assassination of Kennedy.
I've just finished reading Touched by Greatness, the book about Tom Graveney by Andrew Murtagh.
Tom was one of the most graceful batsmen I ever saw and this book tells the story of his life very much from his own perspective, based on lots of interviews with him.
The main things that stick wirth me are:
  • the vast amounts of alcohol apparently consumed by him and ohers, including Basil D'Oliveira before, during and after matches
  • how little he earned from the game and how hard up he and his family constantly were
  • how badly treated he was by the national selectors
  • the sadness of knowing that his health has declined and he now needs pretty constant care
Anyway, it's an interesting read, especially for those who remember him.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Vaguely remember the end of career as a cultured stylish batsman, a dying breed in the English game with all this muscular power hitters around today.
He was very good to watch. Somewhere between Zaheer Abbas and Ian Bell.

I remember seeing him knocked out at Edgbaston when fielding for Worcester. He was at gully and one of the slips tossed the ball to him when Graveney wasn't watching. Hit him on the temple and poleaxed him. He got up and carried on though, as you do.
You can catch some glimpses of him here, as well as a few others including MJK Smith and Rohan Kanhai.
Rudolph Cohen who is mentioned played for Warwickshire 2nd XI in 1965:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF8cVKOHpNU
Tom was a very fine player, saw him in his Worcester years. Very stylish, i look forward to reading the book. I believe he lost his England place because he appeared in a benefit game during a Test match he was playing in.
(12-09-2014, 06:08 PM)parkfield bear Wrote: Tom was a very fine player, saw him in his Worcester years. Very stylish, i look forward to reading the book. I believe he lost his England place because he appeared in a benefit game during a Test match he was playing in.

Yes, that's right; and it ties in with him being hard up for money because he was being offered £1`000 to play in the benefit game which took place on the rest day of the Test. I think he was getting £250 for playing in the Test - a bit different from today.
(12-09-2014, 05:45 PM)Terry Wrote: You can catch some glimpses of him here, as well as a few others including MJK Smith and Rohan Kanhai.
Rudolph Cohen who is mentioned played for Warwickshire 2nd XI in 1965:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF8cVKOHpNU

12,000 crowd there. Wouldn't get that now for a game of that type.
On the radio it was said that there were only 500 at Trent Bridge. Thought more Yorkies would have gone down. The Harold Larwood biog by Duncan Hamilton was well worth all the accolades that it got. A real eye opener into 1920's and 1930's cricket as well as the question about amateurs v pro's and if it was Jardine who was responsible for Larwood not being that much of a force after the 1932-33 'Bodyline' series. Have read a lot of Kevin Brooks novels and if you like popular music from the 60's/70's, Graham Nash's autobiography is brutally honest about a time when others have just tried speculating.
I agree about the Larwood book.