Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yet another 20 over slog! Warwickshire v Notts July 8th
We have the 'pleasure' of our 326,817,924th 20 over slog of the season against Notts on July 8th.

We have named a squad of 14, with Pete McKay and Freddie Coleman added to the squad from Friday, with Sam Hain dropping out.

For those who are unable to attend in person, the game is live on one of the sky sports channels, however if watching at home you'll miss out on visiting the excellent Sir Harry's chip shop!

(alternative ways of watching the game online are available for those without sky, but it upsets the ecb if they are publicly mentioned)
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
Can think of1 person who would say326,817,924 t20 slogs isn't enough!
(07-07-2014, 01:32 PM)The Good Mugabe Wrote: We have the 'pleasure' of our 326,817,924th 20 over slog of the season against Notts on July 8th.

We have named a squad of 14, with Pete McKay and Freddie Coleman added to the squad from Friday, with Sam Hain dropping out.

For those who are unable to attend in person, the game is live on one of the sky sports channels, however if watching at home you'll miss out on visiting the excellent Sir Harry's chip shop!

(alternative ways of watching the game online are available for those without sky, but it upsets the ecb if they are publicly mentioned)

Yes there are some live streams available if you search the internet... Not always perfect and you have to be careful of malware....
(07-07-2014, 02:49 PM)narsty simon Wrote: Can think of1 person who would say326,817,924 t20 slogs isn't enough!
can we go back to 60 over cricket please :thumbup:

T20 has just become so predictable but I realise the importance of it to the club
The original Gillette cup was 65 overs per side, and the umpires used to say "it's one o'clock & time for lunch", but with short form cricket " I know what I like " :-)
There are GOOD Mugabe's
Get rid of the 20 over slog it doesn't give people an appreciation of the game. I got into cricket by watching and listening to test cricket. What gets me now is that even cricketers think 50 over matches are too long...There should be room to bring back the cricket FA Cup. Terrible disgrace that they got rid of that...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul's post:
Leicester Exile
The 60 over Gillette cup games were a high point of the season, staring with a first round game at a minor county. Always a good excuse to visit a new club ground, through to the early September final at Lords, where you hoped you weren't made to bat first. It was a challenging and entertaining form of the game, that required a full set of skills, not just the ability to slog.
In many ways the NFL in the USA have the marketing of their sport almost perfect, with a 'less is more' approach to games, having a 16 game regular season, spread over 18 weeks, followed by a 5-6 week play off tournament.

I'd build the English season around the 16 game championship with a cup style 50 competition and, if essential, a 20 over competition played over a maximum of 3 weeks with no other cricket played in those weeks.

That would allow the weekend short form cricket demanded by some, as well as giving the championship the primary status it deserves, whilst also allowing the shorted forms of the game clear defined windows in the season, so marketing can be planed.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
I agree, I used to love the Gillette/Natwest. It gave proper cricketers the chance to play instead of having 20 over sloggers who now get told they've produced a 'great' innings if they score at more than a run a ball no matter how many runs have come off the edge. A side could get into trouble and still have plenty of time to bat and dig themselves out of a hole and set up a good game. I would also get rid of sill 'powerplay' overs. We keep hearing how dull the middle overs are after a powerplay. Well yes, any overs after the batsmen have been tanking along at 7+ per over will always look dull.
(07-07-2014, 05:56 PM)The Good Mugabe Wrote: The 60 over Gillette cup games were a high point of the season, staring with a first round game at a minor county. Always a good excuse to visit a new club ground, through to the early September final at Lords, where you hoped you weren't made to bat first. It was a challenging and entertaining form of the game, that required a full set of skills, not just the ability to slog.
In many ways the NFL in the USA have the marketing of their sport almost perfect, with a 'less is more' approach to games, having a 16 game regular season, spread over 18 weeks, followed by a 5-6 week play off tournament.

I'd build the English season around the 16 game championship with a cup style 50 competition and, if essential, a 20 over competition played over a maximum of 3 weeks with no other cricket played in those weeks.

That would allow the weekend short form cricket demanded by some, as well as giving the championship the primary status it deserves, whilst also allowing the shorted forms of the game clear defined windows in the season, so marketing can be planed.

Yes we even played Staffordshire at walsall cricket ground. Not the most exciting ground but I have great memories of the Nat West and Gillette cup.. In 76 getting up at dawn to get the coach down to Hove to see us beat Sussex.... We even gave Tony Greig some stick that day :thumbup: Classic songs like "We're going to Lords, you can't go because you lost" :thumbup:
Ok we lost the semi to Lana=cashire but think there was something like 20k in the ground that day....
Isn't cricket meant to be a fair contest between bat and ball, therefore been able to get those middle overs from your 4th and 5th bowler for less than 4 an over was part of the game.

I'd advocate going back to 50 or 60 overs, no fielding circles, no power plays and push the boundaries back as far as possible, so the stroke players that can work the ball return to been as important as those who can just slog.

Play the cup competition in whites with a red ball as well.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
[-] The following 3 users Like The Good Mugabe's post:
Leicester Exile, paulbear, Redditchbear
Yes good to see the legends game at lords played with whites and a red ball... I totally agree I think the middle overs are intriging
Why don't we introduce a t2 competition, 2 overs per innings and you can get the whole competition done in one day! :thumbup:
Proud to be a Bear
Just think of the match fixing opportunities there :-)

Serious point though, much less chance of match and spot fixing in long form cricket.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
Why leave it there. Why not just have the play-off over. 3 batsmen, 1 bowler, 1 over. Whole competition played on a Sunday Afternoon.
LE - aka John
Careful, might be too exciting for Warley, you know with his diet he isn't meant to have too much excitement or stress.

:-)
There are GOOD Mugabe's
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Good Mugabe's post:
Leicester Exile
(07-07-2014, 07:05 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: Why leave it there. Why not just have the play-off over. 3 batsmen, 1 bowler, 1 over. Whole competition played on a Sunday Afternoon.

Why leave it there. One batsman 1 bowler, I ball. Get it all over in 5 minutes

:thumbup:
Leicester Exile
Now we are getting silly :thumbup:
LE - aka John
[-] The following 1 user Likes Leicester Exile's post:
Paul
Yes I remember going to lords to watch the world cup final when India won with around 160 off 60 overs. Sadly those days have gone... the 50 over domestic finals were dying and many counties will be fearful of what is to come later in the sesson (has that competion even got a sponsor yet?). The biggest thing the gillette cup offered was a chance for people in the neglected outbacks of Devon, Norfolk etc. to see a 'proper' county occasionally.... however acts of giant killing were few and far between.

Without T20, I would just walk away from Cricket... its difficult enough to fit the game into a modern lifestyle and the CC and T20 allows a mix that works for me. So for someone who actively supports the 4 day game and test cricket, the dismantling of T20 by the 'purists' with comments such as slog etc. (there havent been that many T20 home games in a world cup year) could commercially lead to a smaller number of counties..... something I dont want to see.

But ... each to their own on this..... I suppose there arent many people who actively support / attend the CC and T20?
(07-07-2014, 09:14 PM)Warleybear Wrote: Yes I remember going to lords to watch the world cup final when India won with around 160 off 60 overs. Sadly those days have gone... the 50 over domestic finals were dying and many counties will be fearful of what is to come later in the sesson (has that competion even got a sponsor yet?). The biggest thing the gillette cup offered was a chance for people in the neglected outbacks of Devon, Norfolk etc. to see a 'proper' county occasionally.... however acts of giant killing were few and far between.

Without T20, I would just walk away from Cricket... its difficult enough to fit the game into a modern lifestyle and the CC and T20 allows a mix that works for me. So for someone who actively supports the 4 day game and test cricket, the dismantling of T20 by the 'purists' with comments such as slog etc. (there havent been that many T20 home games in a world cup year) could commercially lead to a smaller number of counties..... something I dont want to see.

But ... each to their own on this..... I suppose there arent many people who actively support / attend the CC and T20?

I'm sure theres quite a few. Maybe the bubble has burst a little bit...You can revamp it and change our name but its still the same 20 overs a side....I actually think its done a lot of good to the game. We have seen a lot of new inventive shots introduced. When Dilshan first played his scoop in the world t20 we were all amazed, now most batsmen have different variations of it. Fielding has come on enormously. There are a lot of positives to come out of t20 and its not all slogging...
Warleybear
Tonights teams

Warwickshire Team
V Chopra*, WTS Porterfield, JP Webb, R Clarke, LJ Evans, A Javid, FRJ Coleman, JS Patel, PJ McKay†, CJC Wright, WB Rankin
Nottinghamshire Team
AD Hales, SJ Mullaney, MH Wessels, SR Patel, JWA Taylor*, CMW Read†, JEC Franklin, SKW Wood, A Shahzad, LJ Fletcher, HF Gurney

Great to see Freddie Coleman, making his Bears t20 debut, and Jon Webb in our team, along with Laurie, Attiq and Pete McKay. We have five young, home produced players in the team, that has to be good for our long term future.
There are GOOD Mugabe's