Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tennis
(27-01-2016, 11:02 PM)Paul Wrote: Yes but they are actually claiming that its players in the top 50 and grand slam winners. Let them prove it because i don't believe a multi-millionaire grand slam winner would even contemplate throwing a match for financial reward.

This Guardian article goes into a lot of detail and suggests that the main problem has shifted to the Challengers events:
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/ja...llegations
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
I wonder if it's the group of illegal bookmakers that caused the corruption and match fixing in cricket, as well as other sports.
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
Trial by algorithms, rediculous to suggest a wealty guy like Leyton Hewitt would deliberately loose a match. Like I said I'm sure it goes on at lower levels. To me its poor journalism.

Pleased to see a new grand slam champion today Angeleque Kerber beating Serena, and Jamie Murray getting over the line having lost his last two grand slam finals. Come on Andy tomorow.
Hard fought match but Djokovic always had the edge and straights sets maybe a little unfair on Murray but it shows the dominance Djokovoc has over the rest. 11 slams now 6 in Australia. He has time to catch Federer.

More about corruption in the lower tiers of tennis and the role of umpires:
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/fe...ng-umpires
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Federer looking good here.

(29-01-2017, 11:13 AM)Paul Wrote: Federer looking good here.

Or perhaps not?
Proud to be a Bear
Or maybe he will win it after all! A great final.
Proud to be a Bear
I thought he had lost it when he went a break down in the final set. 18 slams Think its impossible for Djokovic to catch him now! This Australian open has been a throw back to the old days with the Williams sisters in the final of the womens as well. Where are the younger players.

(29-01-2017, 04:04 PM)Paul Wrote: I thought he had lost it when he went a break down in the final set. 18 slams Think its impossible for Djokovic to catch him now! This Australian open has been a throw back to the old days with the Williams sisters in the final of the womens as well. Where are the younger players.

Yes I thought the same, especially when he had break points in the first few games after that and didn't take them! Having not watched the awards ceremony for the Australian Open before I thought it was quite funny how different it is to Wimbledon. I particularly enjoyed the speech by Kia's Chief Executive (or whoever he was)
Proud to be a Bear
I didn't see the full ceremony but I did wondered if Federer was announcing his retirement by saying he might not be there next year. He will probably play this year but he has fought for nearly5 years to win another slam losing to Djokovic in quite a few finals. Might be good to go out at the top. 18 slams, nobody will catch him now., unless Djokovic rediscovers his form and desire from a year ago.

Agree with your post Paul. Just a thought on the women's game if Sereena can still win the amount of slams she has won at her age over the last 2/3 years, it doesn't say much about the standard of the women's game. I think it's also dispionnting that no youngsters are coming through to really challenge the likes of Murray etc.
Kerber won 2 out of 4 last year and got to the final of Wimbledon and Muguruza won the French open so I think the womens game is n better shape that way than the mens. In the mens theres nobody other than the so called big 4 and Stan. Djokovic won 4 out of 5 I think then Murray won one, then Stan and now Federer and before that Stan and Djokovic. So more variety in the womens game than the mens.