Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tennis
(29-11-2015, 07:38 PM)Paul Wrote: Its a great achievement I agree but he's still not in the class of Federer or Djokovic.
Murray has achieved nearly everything in the game, he has given everything for the cause this year and
deserves great credit. He has not had to face the top players but that is not his fault. A world heavyweight champion
and the Davis Cup is this Britain's best ever sporting day?
I don't know surely we have better than this. The 2012 Olympics, 1966 world cup. Sorry I can't get exited about the fact he beat the world no. 16 today and 108 on friday. The top players wern't playing in the competion this year and I agree thats not his fault but you don't not get the top players playing in other major competitions. It just devalues it.

Murray's career has gone backwards since 2013 whether thats because of Lendl not being his coach but it seems he's the only person that made him into a winner.

(29-11-2015, 11:03 PM)Paul Wrote: I don't know surely we have better than this. The 2012 Olympics, 1966 world cup. Sorry I can't get exited about the fact he beat the world no. 16 today and 108 on friday. The top players wern't playing in the competion this year and I agree thats not his fault but you don't not get the top players playing in other major competitions. It just devalues it.

Murray's career has gone backwards since 2013 whether thats because of Lendl not being his coach but it seems he's the only person that made him into a winner.

Difficult to argue with your assessment, however in 50 years time no one remembers who was missing. The 1980 and 1984 Olympics were missing some top athletes. There was the Wimbledon boycott in 1973. Many medals won unfairly by Eastern European athletes in 1970.s and 1980's, Also injuries have prevented the best people competing. We should enjoy the moment you may not get another chance in our lifetime!
I can't argue with that Ken. I give Andy Murray ultimate credit for the sacrifices he made and the effort he put in to win it and in all fairness he had to play against good French players and Australian players to get there and its great to see the Murray brothers playing doubles together. If he's a Scot it doesn't matter because he has done this for Great Britain.

You are right being as the last time we won it was 20 odd years before I was born, it won't be in our lfetime when we win it again. cant see Andy making these sacrifices to win it next year. He's needs to be selfish and close the gap with Djokovic so he can start winning more slams. With no great young players on the horizon, Federer 34, Nadal not quite the same, those two should be competing for the slams in the next 3 years.

(29-11-2015, 10:40 PM)parkfield bear Wrote:
(29-11-2015, 07:38 PM)Paul Wrote: Its a great achievement I agree but he's still not in the class of Federer or Djokovic.
Murray has achieved nearly everything in the gameundefined, he has given everything for the cause this year and
deserves great creditundefined. He has not had to face the top players but that is not his fault. A world heavyweight champion

Question now that he has been stripped of his title is it the the greatest day in Britain's sporting history and now surely he cant be a nominee for sports personality of the year award.

Murray not going to be on SPOTY - surely not :-)
LE - aka John
Australian Open dropped by BBC:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/...-Open.html
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Another nail in the coffin for BBC Sports.

The upside is with all these sports disappearing from BBC Lineker and Balding will soon be looking elsewhere for work !!
LE - aka John
(09-12-2015, 05:09 PM)Paul Wrote:
(29-11-2015, 10:40 PM)parkfield bear Wrote:
Murray has achieved nearly everything in the gameundefined, he has given everything for the cause this year and
deserves great creditundefined. He has not had to face the top players but that is not his fault. A world heavyweight champion

Question now that he has been stripped of his title is it the the greatest day in Britain's sporting history and now surely he cant be a nominee for sports personality of the year award.

I had not realised what sort of person Fury is. Usually boxers come over as quite decent people. Sport is selling
out to the highest bidder which means families without Sky or BT will not be able to enjoy the range of sport we 
all enjoyed in the past. BBC gives every sport it covers a free advert and potentially create the fans of the future.Sky and BT's
audiences are minute in comparison and leaving free to air TV could be short sighted.
I don't get that Parkfield Bear. Two people trying to knock six bells out of each other decent, surely not! I don't know if Fury is nuts or whether he actually lives his life by the Bible or is he just taking the mick?

Obviously you do not like boxing, which is fair enough. Someone like Henry Cooper for example was a great man.
Although it is impossible to defend boxing in a civilised society the boxers themselves from my experience were humble
decent men trying to climb out of poverty by the only means open to them. In this health and safety world we live in now
boxing like smoking would never have been allowed. Some schools used to include boxing in their timetable as a way of
developing character amongst the boys. I admit like you i have lost my taste for it now.
Yes I used to take an interest. The only thing I have against Henry Cooper is that he never acknowledged Joe Bugner's victory against him even he did really beat him. Theres a lot of bad examples of heavy weight champions who aren't decent. Mike Tyson for one and David Haye another. Haven't watched it since the Eubank days!

Well done to Andy Murray and Johanna Konta getting to the semi finals. Great acheivment by Konta so far hope she backs it up in other tournaments as well and doesn't go backwards like others do like Watson and Robson
I agree that this is good news for British tennis.
It's just  shame that tennis is starting to look like the most fixed sport around.  According to bookmakers, in the first 9 months of 2015 there were 49 suspicious activity alerts about tennis compared with 16 for all other sports combined.
Its very likely if there is any match fixing in tennis its at a low level. Its a sport which is very well paid and there would be no point players deliberately throwing a match.

I think its fantastic for British tennis that we have two players in the mens and womens semi's of a slam. Murray will get to the final, Konta has a good chance but Kerber will be a tough apponent

(27-01-2016, 07:35 PM)rednalbear Wrote: Well done to Andy Murray and Johanna Konta getting to the semi finals. Great acheivment by Konta so far hope she backs it up in other tournaments as well and doesn't go backwards like others do like Watson and Robson

I think she will be a top 10 player

(27-01-2016, 09:54 PM)Paul Wrote: Its very likely if there is any match fixing in tennis its at a low level. Its a sport which is very well paid and there would be no point players deliberately throwing a match.

I think its fantastic for British tennis that we have two players in the mens and womens semi's of a slam. Murray will get to the final, Konta has a good chance but Kerber will be a tough apponent

I think the problem is that, outside the top 50, it's not that well paid.  Also, that the authorities have turned a blind eye to it.  Anyway, I suspect that there will be a few revelations in the coming months.
Yes but they are actually claiming that its players in the top 50 and grand slam winners. Let them prove it because i don't believe a multi-millionaire grand slam winner would even contemplate throwing a match for financial reward.

Djokovic gets the better of Federer again and now lead the head to head. It should be another Djokovic v Murray final in the Australian. Thats getting a bit predictable.