Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tennis
I understand bringing the boundaries in a bit to allow for a dive, but sometimes it's brought in 10 yards. An Olympic long jumper would struggle to clear that distance.

Which reminds me of the time we played on a ground next to an old Victorian wall. Our skipper chased one to the boundary and ran into the wall, fracturing both his wrists. He did have quite a lot of bodily momentum.
I played at a ground recently where the boundary at one end of the ground was a wall - if the ball hit the wall on the full it was 4 runs - it had to clear it for it to be a six.
Proud to be a Bear
How many sixes did you hit?

(13-07-2015, 10:48 PM)Paul Wrote: How many sixes did you hit?

None 001_07  But then I did only face 4 balls for my 2 not out!
Proud to be a Bear
sr of 50 not bad.

(13-07-2015, 10:55 PM)Paul Wrote: sr of 50 not bad.

It also doubled my batting average for the season to 4 Biggrin
Proud to be a Bear
You'd fit in well with the Warwickshire top order then.

Another great win for Novak Djokovic. Thats 3 out of the 4 slams he has won this year matching his record in 2011 and he was also in the final at Roland Garros losing to Wawrinka.

Thats 10 now in total 7 behind Federer and 4 behind Nadal who he will surely catch up. At 28 and in the peak of condition 6 years younger than Federer who is his only real challenger at the moment he can win many more slams and be up there with Federer as the greatest of all time.

Dissapionting thing from my point of view you would of hoped by now the next young guns would be snapping at the heels of the big four to be competing to win the grand slam events. Good to see Serena not win this event, with an outsider winning it
Yes but its a one off era which has produced 3 of the 4 greatest players of all time so the young ones have a long ladder to climb. I don't go along with the big 4 now anyway. You have Djokovic who is in front of Federer then the rest really. I'd put Murray on a par with Wawrinka although that may be being too kind.

Serena just hasn't had any great players to compete against unlike Graf who had Evert, Sellers, Navratilova during her era. Vinci looks like a throw back to the 60s and 70s type tennis players.

shame the likes of henin clisters retired early because of injury and sharapova being completly useless when playing against serena. thought when kivitova won her first wimbledon she was going to challenge her at all the big events so i was wroung thier
Serena has such a physical advantage. She serves as fast as some men. If she was the same size as say Halep then she would be nowhere near the record number of grand slam wins. Henin pound for pound a far superior player imo. Players like Kivitova and Lisicki can match her physically but they have no consistency. Azarenka looked her main threat for a while but shes had too much time out.

Different in mens tennis, its more equal.

totally agree paul
Novak is out on his own, very likeable man, when he finishes he could have beaten all the records. Federer still best player to watch but his age is against him. a golden era for the sport. It is not Serena's fault if the opposition is not good enough, her service is the clincher in close matches which means she has not really played many matches that last long in the memory. The under performing Heather Watson played a lovely match against her but it is the exception. Her latest defeat is just one of things i think, like Novak she is clearly still the best player.
An incredible season ends with another win at the ATP tour finals for Djokovic. The most dominant season i can remember by a single player ever. Maybe Federer when the competition wasn't so tough equalled it but for me he's moved the game to another level entirely.

well done to the murray brothers today one hand on the trophey
Yes first Davis cup since the 1930s

andy murray what a player, well done scotland
Its a great achievement I agree but he's still not in the class of Federer or Djokovic.

Hardly Great Britain winning the Davis Cup - Murray family v the world which indicates that despite millions being poured into the game we just keep on failing to produce top quality players.
LE - aka John