Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kim RIP
I read the news with great sadness on Wednesday, and still feel shock each time I remember that Kim is no longer with us. I never had the fortune to meet him, but always enjoyed his informed and intelligent posts on this forum, as well as the less serious ones. As a fellow West Ham supporter, I recognised the shared sense of humour and glass half full approach to life that he had. I hope he realised how much he was liked and respected within the cricketing world and beyond.
My thoughts are with his family, and all his friends.
RIP Kim
[-] The following 1 user Likes DooeyDuck's post:
littlepete
I know that George took messages of support from some of us to Kim just before his passing and that these cheered and comforted him. But if only he could have seen the outpourings of love and respect on this and other forums over the last few days! Because he was a modest man, I suspect he would have been astonished.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
A cricket legend and Gary Sobers.

[Image: ured.jpg]
Message via George Dobell
Kim’s wife, Alison, has asked me to post a message and a poem to thank everyone for their kind words. I’d be grateful if someone else could post it on the Sussex, Worcestershire and 24/7 boards. I’m not registered. Please explain that we won’t be able to reply, either. Maybe in a while when things are a little less raw. But not for now, sorry.

Kim died peacefully at home, surrounded by his family and his dogs. While the speed of the illness was brutal - he had little more than a week after confirmation that there was nothing that could be done - it did allow him the chance to say goodbye and ensure that there was no prolonged suffering. He said only a few days ago that he would feel he had "beaten the system" if he could avoid hospitals and hospices and any of the horrible indignities that so often accompany death.

In his last hours, he listened to coverage of the Big Bash from Australia and drifted to sleep. Hobart was the home town of Alison for a couple of years a while ago, so he was pleased that the Hurricanes won. He died pretty much as he lived: on his own terms, with dignity, with a smile on his face but thinking of other people. He did it his way.

In that last week, we were fortunate to be able to give Kim a couple of albums worth of memories and messages from his friends. Among them was a beautiful hand-written letter from Jonathan Trott and a series of other warm tributes from some of those he met on-line, some of those who were lucky enough to work with him and a selection of friends old and new. It’s probably right that the contents of those messages remains private, but they reflected particularly well on the supporters and employees of Sussex and Warwickshire CCCs.

Most of all, though, they reflected well on Kim. Anyone who elicits such warmth, such love and such gratitude can reflect with pride on a life well led. The messages brought reassurance and happiness in trying times and, as he put it: “in my darkest days… spread sunshine upon me.” He was, you’ll note, an eloquent fellow right to the end.

He didn’t lose his sense of humour, either. He decided that I was to deliver his eulogy in a ridiculous teddy-boy jacket once owned by the lead singer of Showaddywaddy and bought (for a fortune) at a charity auction where I vaguely recall us not being absolutely sober.

There was a theme in many of the messages: thanks for his support; his guidance; his calm good humour. He was credited for nurturing relationships that led to marriage, careers that blossomed and words of encouragement and kindness delivered at just the right time that helped many a friend make it through a tough episode or choose the correct turn at some crossroads or other. He was the best of friends in the worst of times.

Certainly his impact on my life has been immense. I have two notes from him pinned above my desk as I write every day. Without his belief and encouragement, there is no way I would be doing what I’m doing now either privately or professionally. It’s a debt that can’t be repaid. Like everyone else, I guess, I feel lucky to have known him and proud to have had him as a friend.

Kim’s funeral will take place at Wrexham Crematorium at 1.30pm on Feb 10. All are very welcome.

We will, over the next few days, advise of a charity for those who want to make donations in his memory. He did whisper something about me running a marathon to raise money for Scottish Terriers with hay-fever or something, but I like to think he was joking. Please do not send flowers.

Alison says:

I truly want to thank everyone for their kind words about my amazing husband.

They say that cricket is a game for gentlemen. Kim was a gentle man of the highest order. He loved the game, adored the banter online and will be watching the Bears, arriving on time for every match.

With love and true appreciation,

Mrs Kim.

I shall play cricket in heaven
in return for the afternoons
gladly given to the other
pleasure of others' leisure.
I shall walk, without haste, to the wicket
and nod to the angels kitted
in their whites waiting to discern
the kind of batspirit I am.
And one stroke in heaven, one dream
of a cover drive will redeem
every meeting of bat
and ball I've done without.
And I'll bowl too, come on to bowl
leg-breaks with such control
of flight and slight changes of pace
that one over will efface
the faint regret I now feel.
But best of all I shall field:
alert in the heavenly deep,
beyond the boundary of sleep.
[-] The following 9 users Like sweatysock's post:
ddb, DooeyDuck, Exiled Bear, Leicester Exile, parkfield bear, Paul, Redditchbear, Terry, Warleybear
(25-01-2014, 05:43 PM)sweatysock Wrote: Message via George Dobell
Kim’s wife, Alison, has asked me to post a message and a poem to thank everyone for their kind words. I’d be grateful if someone else could post it on the Sussex, Worcestershire and 24/7 boards. I’m not registered. Please explain that we won’t be able to reply, either. Maybe in a while when things are a little less raw. But not for now, sorry.

Kim died peacefully at home, surrounded by his family and his dogs. While the speed of the illness was brutal - he had little more than a week after confirmation that there was nothing that could be done - it did allow him the chance to say goodbye and ensure that there was no prolonged suffering. He said only a few days ago that he would feel he had "beaten the system" if he could avoid hospitals and hospices and any of the horrible indignities that so often accompany death.

In his last hours, he listened to coverage of the Big Bash from Australia and drifted to sleep. Hobart was the home town of Alison for a couple of years a while ago, so he was pleased that the Hurricanes won. He died pretty much as he lived: on his own terms, with dignity, with a smile on his face but thinking of other people. He did it his way.

In that last week, we were fortunate to be able to give Kim a couple of albums worth of memories and messages from his friends. Among them was a beautiful hand-written letter from Jonathan Trott and a series of other warm tributes from some of those he met on-line, some of those who were lucky enough to work with him and a selection of friends old and new. It’s probably right that the contents of those messages remains private, but they reflected particularly well on the supporters and employees of Sussex and Warwickshire CCCs.

Most of all, though, they reflected well on Kim. Anyone who elicits such warmth, such love and such gratitude can reflect with pride on a life well led. The messages brought reassurance and happiness in trying times and, as he put it: “in my darkest days… spread sunshine upon me.” He was, you’ll note, an eloquent fellow right to the end.

He didn’t lose his sense of humour, either. He decided that I was to deliver his eulogy in a ridiculous teddy-boy jacket once owned by the lead singer of Showaddywaddy and bought (for a fortune) at a charity auction where I vaguely recall us not being absolutely sober.

There was a theme in many of the messages: thanks for his support; his guidance; his calm good humour. He was credited for nurturing relationships that led to marriage, careers that blossomed and words of encouragement and kindness delivered at just the right time that helped many a friend make it through a tough episode or choose the correct turn at some crossroads or other. He was the best of friends in the worst of times.

Certainly his impact on my life has been immense. I have two notes from him pinned above my desk as I write every day. Without his belief and encouragement, there is no way I would be doing what I’m doing now either privately or professionally. It’s a debt that can’t be repaid. Like everyone else, I guess, I feel lucky to have known him and proud to have had him as a friend.

Kim’s funeral will take place at Wrexham Crematorium at 1.30pm on Feb 10. All are very welcome.

We will, over the next few days, advise of a charity for those who want to make donations in his memory. He did whisper something about me running a marathon to raise money for Scottish Terriers with hay-fever or something, but I like to think he was joking. Please do not send flowers.

Alison says:

I truly want to thank everyone for their kind words about my amazing husband.

They say that cricket is a game for gentlemen. Kim was a gentle man of the highest order. He loved the game, adored the banter online and will be watching the Bears, arriving on time for every match.

With love and true appreciation,

Mrs Kim.

I shall play cricket in heaven
in return for the afternoons
gladly given to the other
pleasure of others' leisure.
I shall walk, without haste, to the wicket
and nod to the angels kitted
in their whites waiting to discern
the kind of batspirit I am.
And one stroke in heaven, one dream
of a cover drive will redeem
every meeting of bat
and ball I've done without.
And I'll bowl too, come on to bowl
leg-breaks with such control
of flight and slight changes of pace
that one over will efface
the faint regret I now feel.
But best of all I shall field:
alert in the heavenly deep,
beyond the boundary of sleep.

Words fail me; what an absolutely wonderful post. Reduced me to tears. A lovely, lovely poem as well.
Stingray, couldn't agree more. A post that has left me feeling very humble.
Wonderful. Having never met Kim I feel it's the least I can do to attend and pay my respects. If anybody needs a lift - 3 spaces available - feel free to contact me via these boards and we'll sort something out.
I was hoping not to see this thread.

I was on Twitter browsing and saw the news from Brian Halford. Not knowing Kim's surname, I was hoping it was a coincidence, but of course logging straight in I was dismayed to see that it wasn't.

Not someone I knew personally or had met, but it is always with sadness that such news is received. He always came across well through his posting on here and my sympathies are with family and friends.
Paul fondled my onion bags.
Very sorry to hear this news

I never met him but exchanged many words with him. I found his contributions warm and informative.

A sad loss. RIP Kim
(28-01-2014, 12:00 AM)Jon Wrote: Very sorry to hear this news

I never met him but exchanged many words with him. I found his contributions warm and informative.

A sad loss. RIP Kim

Kim,,,,,,, RIP my friend .............. we`ll meet again............ P
Kim's funeral will take place from 1.30pm on Feb 10 at Wrexham Crematorium. http://www.wrexham.com/crematorium/wrexh...-7020.html

Afterwards there will be a celebration of his life - a Big Bash - at the Sweeney Hall Hotel. http://www.sweeneyhall.co.uk/ The hotel is offering a reduced rate for those attending and wanting to stay the night.

A Just Giving page has been set-up for those wishing to make charitable donations in his memory. Please visit:

https://www.justgiving.com/4Kim-Jones
I have only just heard this news through George's Twitter notification of the Justgiving site and would like to pass on my deepest condolences.

I only met Kim once (at the shop at Edgbaston), but we shared many hours together on this site and its predecessors. Kim was always honest and humorous with a rare ability to provide insight in some of the most mundane cricketing matters. His ability to assess a set of cricket club accounts was admirable. Kim and I shared part of our professional career at the same professional firm and he was a supportive and encouraging voice when that firm ran into difficulties some time ago. I won't every forget that.

We very rarely agreed on cricketing matters, but I always looked forward to his comments, his ferocious wit and will greatly miss his input to this and other forums. RIP

Will (Vice President - Quartiles / Waggy's biggest fan)
Only just spotted the dedication at the top of the home page. Like many others, I never met Kim and as a relatively infrequent contributor to this forum only exchanged a handful of posts with him but even that was enough to be able to tell he absolutely loved his cricket, knew more about it than most of us like to think we do, and was a terrifically loyal supporter. I disagreed with a lot of his opinions but they were nevertheless extremely well thought through and cogently expressed.

I'd like to think it sat a lot about Kim that many people, including me, who had never met him are so shocked and upset to hear this very sad news.
Lara, Tendulkar ... Pilling.
Like coolerking, I was one who never physically met Kim but felt that I knew him well.
It was a privilege to be able to attend his funeral and I had a go at setting out my thoughts and feelings in my blog. Kim's wife saw it and liked it so I thought I would share it:
http://gerryshedd.blogspot.co.uk/
[-] The following 5 users Like Terry's post:
DooeyDuck, Leicester Exile, littlepete, parkfield bear, Warleybear
terry that is brilliant he will be sadly missed by a lot of us on here im fortunate to have known kim well and what a great person he was, just a shame i couldn't get to the funeral but Stingray told me all about it and she gave me a copy of spin and a spin cricket ball also a copy of the service.
R.I.P Kim
Keep Calm i am a Warwickshire Bear
[-] The following 1 user Likes littlepete's post:
stingray
Was not overly sure where to post this and certainly would not want to cause any offence by posting it in the thread concerning Kim, but we have sadly now lost another big Bears fan with the sad news that a long term friend of mine, Mike Reeves, passed yesterday.

Not sure whether anyone on here knew him, I have been going to the Albion with him for some 20 years now and I know that he attended at Edgbaston regularly, I am still in a state of shock really, only seeing him last at the game on Saturday, little did I know that saying goodbye to him that day would be saying goodbye for the last time.
Paul fondled my onion bags.
(18-10-2016, 06:11 PM)Lilly Wrote: Was not overly sure where to post this and certainly would not want to cause any offence by posting it in the thread concerning Kim, but we have sadly now lost another big Bears fan with the sad news that a long term friend of mine, Mike Reeves, passed yesterday.

Not sure whether anyone on here knew him, I have been going to the Albion with him for some 20 years now and I know that he attended at Edgbaston regularly, I am still in a state of shock really, only seeing him last at the game on Saturday, little did I know that saying goodbye to him that day would be saying goodbye for the last time.

I played tennis with him on a regular basis, twice last week, last time on Thursday. Everyone i know who came across him all said the same thing, a thoroughly nice man who would would always help you if he could. He will be missed greatly. R I P "Albion Jim"
[-] The following 1 user Likes parkfield bear's post:
Lilly
I met him a few times. Nice man. RIP.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul's post:
Lilly
Sorry to hear about this.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Terry's post:
Lilly
This isn't the chap who regularly sits with numerous different pals during every session is it? Tall, slim guy who often wears a long WBA coat is it? Always smiling.