Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Global Warming
(25-11-2015, 08:06 PM)Paul Wrote: Not the same thing at all, that was born out of ignorance not scientific fact. Terry is right we have to think of future generations and not bury our heads in the sand and ignore it.
But back then it was born out of scientific fact, as known at the time. In the same way we have been told how planets have been found over the years that were not known about when I was a kid.

I am still not convinced it has been proven that man is the cause of global warming and indeed that a rise in temperature will be as harmful as they say.
LE - aka John
(25-11-2015, 08:06 PM)Paul Wrote: Not the same thing at all, that was born out of ignorance not scientific fact. Terry is right we have to think of future generations and not bury our heads in the sand and ignore it.

The scientists of the time didn't think that the Earth being flat was born out of ignorance - they wrote scientific papers on the subject did they not? GLOBAL WARMING IS ALSO BORN OUT OF IGNORANCE OR MORE TO THE POINT SCIENTIFIC IGNORANCE - It ain't gonna happen - No sand in my garden - Its all a load of bunkum - The sum comes up in the morning - The world turns - The sun goes down at night - Spring turns up in the Spring - The Summer turns up in the Summer every year etc etc etc.

Global Warming Theory is a Blind Faith - It just goes to prove what we have known for centuries that you can make a case for anything if you really try - It ain't gonna happen - The Earth doesn't work like that does it? Oh but The Flat Earthers cover their backside by saying that Climate Change has nothing to do with the Weather etc etc - Its all a load of garbage! - I'm glad that I was born (and so obviously live) in 'ignorance' - For every scientist that thinks there is Global Warming and that WE are mainly responsible for it their is another scientist who thinks the opposite - So you take your pick do you not?

GLOBAL WARMING in its own right is a MYTH!!!
So you are comparing scientists from the 15th century (Isn't that when it was generally acknowedged the world was round), with scientists of today.

(25-11-2015, 08:35 PM)Paul Wrote: So you are comparing scientists from the 15th century (Isn't that when it was generally acknowedged the world was round), with scientists of today.

I think you are out by 100 years or so (mind you I could be wrong?) - Irrespective thereof The Global Warming Brigade are still Flat Earthers - But as the Germans say "C'est la Vie N'est Pas?"

I know I might be considered to be a Doubting Thomas (Oh no don't get me started down that route) but it ain't happening - It's a myth - There will always be Climate Change - That's the way the Earth works - We should put the Fear Mongers back in their little box and get on with our lives - Well it makes sense to me anyway.

"Despite the fact that Fires always Burn and Candles Bubble
And The Climate Change Brigade think the Earth's in trouble
Let us not forget that Global Warming is a great big con
So let's all wake up, cast off imaginary fears and move on."

Keep up the good work - Enjoy your posts - Best wishes.
Yes thanks its fine to disagree about certain things.

I think back to the extreme heatwave of 2005 (I think) when OAPs died in Paris and the flat-earth weather reports on BBC announced it was the hottest for 400 years. I thought to myself what did we do back then - could it be too many bows and arrows or was it sailing round the world to proved it isn't flat or perhaps the great fire of London with all that smoke.
LE - aka John
(26-11-2015, 04:43 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: I think back to the extreme heatwave of 2005 (I think) when OAPs died in Paris and the flat-earth weather reports on BBC announced it was the hottest for 400 years. I thought to myself  what did we do back then - could it be too many bows and arrows or was it sailing round the world to proved it isn't flat or perhaps the great fire of London with all that smoke.

Or was it Issac Newton's fault - Damaged by an apple that allegedly fell off a tree and hit him on the head?
Of course, before then we didn't have gravity :-)
LE - aka John
(26-11-2015, 04:43 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: I think back to the extreme heatwave of 2005 (I think) when OAPs died in Paris and the flat-earth weather reports on BBC announced it was the hottest for 400 years. I thought to myself  what did we do back then - could it be too many bows and arrows or was it sailing round the world to proved it isn't flat or perhaps the great fire of London with all that smoke.

I think you are taking it out of context a bit.  We're not talking about individual summers but the general global increase in temperatures over a long period of time.

(26-11-2015, 10:59 PM)Paul Wrote:

I think you are taking it out of context a bit.  We're not talking about individual summers but the general global increase in temperatures over a long period of time.

But that's how the BBC reported that hot summer.
Yes I agree the question of global warming should be taken over a long period of time. In the contect that man has been on the earth for quite a few thousand years I don't believe 70 years (from the 1950s) to be a long period of time.
LE - aka John
The IPPC report goes back a 100 years further than that.

Surprised we had the technology in 1850. But even so 170 years compared to 50000 or whatever ain't much
LE - aka John
Its still a sizeable amount of data to work with. Ignore at your own peril.

(28-11-2015, 09:55 PM)Paul Wrote: Its still a sizeable amount of data to work with. Ignore at your own peril.

....or, more likely, your children's and grandchildren's peril.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
[-] The following 1 user Likes Terry's post:
Paul
Quote: If GW was so bad and bearing in mind that governments around the world could tackle the problem at s stroke - i.e. ban all motor vehicles - why don't they do it?

I think thats pretty obvious to be honest. Why do India and China still use so much coal??
 Money is the root of all evil! or most of it anyway
As I sat today on a bench in the sunshine, I was musing that maybe all this global warming stuff was a load of nonsense.
Then I remembered that it was 7 December, the temperature was 15 degrees and I didn't even need a jacket.  So maybe there really is something odd happening.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Well they did say it was going to be the coldest winter for 50 years!!
LE - aka John
Who said? It was 61 degrees Fah somewhere in uk today. Thats rediculous. The consequences will be severe. Much more likely to be floods, as is happening more and more regularly now.

Anyway Global warming doesn't neccesarily mean we will get warmer weather LE, theres many factors that control our weather but what it does mean is we are much more likely to get more extreme weather patterns.

Exiled Bear has gone quiet on this because he could explain it a lot better than me. Must be bored lol.

Don't worry Paul...the cavalry has arrived!

Quote:Well they did say it was going to be the coldest winter for 50 years!!

I assume that you read this in the Daily Express, Mail or some other unworthy source? I've said it before and I'll say it again, these papers publish absolute tripe when it comes to the weather (and a lot of other issues, but that's another story) so please, please ignore them! If you want a reputable source the Met Office is a good bet, also netweather.tv is very good.

As for DJL...

I'm sorry, but I've just had to go and lie down in a darkened room for half an hour after reading so much rubbish! I'm not sure quite where to begin.

It's not often that the scientific community is almost unanimous on a particular subject, but almost all scientists agree that global warming is happening, that it's our fault, and that it poses a major threat to future generations. Why exactly do you think that representatives of countries right across the world are meeting right now in Paris to discuss the next steps to tackle global warming? They're not just there on a jolly!

I went to a very interesting seminar in my department today about future predictions of Arctic sea ice and shipping routes. It was actually quite scary - even using simulations using middle of the road carbon emissions, it's predicted that normal ships (not ice breakers) will be able to sail straight across the north pole between China and the USA/Europe in September/October when the ice is at a minimum. And that's using a fairly conservative carbon emission scenario.

Quite frankly, comparing the science of today with scientists hundreds of years ago is hardly fair. Back then we were ignorant of many things, whereas today science is carried out in a very different way. I don't see anyone casting doubts about the believability of Einstein's work, or indeed Newton. So why do you think that in an age when we have much better technology, the benefit of satellite observations and immensely powerful supercomputers that we've got it wrong about global warming?

I'm quite happy to answer any questions that anyone has about this issue (within reason). I don't claim to be an expert, but I have access to quite a wide range of resources on this and am incredibly passionate about it. I believe global warming to be ones of the greatest threats faced by mankind right now.
Proud to be a Bear
Perhaps it's my age but I still find it hard to believe that man is the cause of the current period of climate change - when the climate has always changed over the thousands of years. Carbon dioxide is absorbed by trees that then produce oxygen so could a lot of the problem be caused by the devastation of rain forests especially in south america?
You praise the met office - is this not the organisation that keeps trying to tell us that the seasons change on the 1st ofMarch,June,September and December instead of at the equinox and soltice?
LE - aka John