Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Global Warming
(15-02-2014, 01:23 PM)Paul Wrote:
(15-02-2014, 12:57 AM)Redditchbear Wrote: Was there global warming then I wonder?

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/short...uk-history

If a batsman gets out to short ball once it doesn't mean he has a problem with short bowling but if he gets out on numerous occasions to a short ball it does.

A good analogy! This line of "Was there global warming then..." gets trotted out far too much.
Proud to be a Bear
(15-02-2014, 02:17 PM)Exiled Bear Wrote:
(15-02-2014, 01:23 PM)Paul Wrote:
(15-02-2014, 12:57 AM)Redditchbear Wrote: Was there global warming then I wonder?

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/short...uk-history

If a batsman gets out to short ball once it doesn't mean he has a problem with short bowling but if he gets out on numerous occasions to a short ball it does.

A good analogy! This line of "Was there global warming then..." gets trotted out far too much.

The Thames used to freeze regularly... even as late as 1963. Mini Ice age? http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=thames+...8&bih=1024

It was even droughts.... let's install those water meters? The multi billion global warming swindle... tax, tax, tax and put those utility bills up!

If all this was really important, the government would have forced the building of windmills in the shires and off the coast ignoring the Nimbys and built those nuclear power stations from the profits of the utility companies.

The scientists get happy on their grants to try and prove we should all be taxed.... the vested interests jump with glee at the thought of new ways to fleece the public. The builders continue time build on the flood planes to house our population growth and the environmental agency flog off dredging equipment.

Let's have a balanced power generation system in this country that is affordable. Let's stop building on the flood planes. Let's stop increasing the uk population at an unsustainable rate. Let's build more railway lines (remember Breeching :cursing:) start HS2 quick.... and as for buses.... used one last week... it was a disgusting, dangerous and (I thought) relatively expensive place to be.

http://www.wccc.co.uk/webcam.html
[-] The following 1 user Likes Warleybear's post:
Leicester Exile
Some of these floods have been described as being the worst since 1600 and something. Was this when we invented the bow and arrow.

I see the "experts" don't say global warming anymore - it's now Climate Change. Well of course it is - it always has changed. What is in dispute is how much is being caused by man and preventable.
LE - aka John
Warming is due to vastly increased - and still increasing - quantities of greenhouse gas in the atmosphere. The cutting down of forests further increasing the imbalance between the CO2 we emit and the planet's capacity to re-absorb it. So yes climate change is largely caused by man.
(16-02-2014, 04:43 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: Some of these floods have been described as being the worst since 1600 and something. Was this when we invented the bow and arrow.

The rainfall records for England and Wales began in 1766, before this it is difficult to determine what the climate was like - but what we now know is that this winter has been the wettest in the south of England since these records began. It may well be that it has been the wettest ever, we just don't know.

Quote:I see the "experts" don't say global warming anymore - it's now Climate Change. Well of course it is - it always has changed. What is in dispute is how much is being caused by man and preventable.

Global warming and climate change have always been used interchangeably. Frankly I think it is quite rude of you to put the quotation marks around experts there, these are people of tremendous knowledge who have devoted their whole lives in many cases to research and the advancement of climate science.

Below is a graph taken from one of my recent climate change lectures. It shows atmospheric CO2 levels over the last 10,000 years and to me it is a truly shocking image - that's one heck of an increase over the last 200 years. And I can tell you that the levels of CO2 in the atmosphere are higher than they have been for millions of years. Do you really think that this will have no impact on our climate? The science is really quite simple: more CO2 means that less solar radiation leaves the Earth's atmosphere, which results in a warming.

[Image: CO2.jpg]

Here's a few other facts for you:
  • Northern Hemisphere June snow cover has decreased by 53% since the late 1960s
  • Arctic summer sea ice extent has decreased by 11.5% per decade since 1979
  • Northern Hemisphere average sea ice thickness decreased by 1.3m to 2.3m from 1980 to 2008
  • Global sea levels have risen by about 0.2m since 1900

If those facts don't scare you then I don't know what will.
Proud to be a Bear
[-] The following 1 user Likes Exiled Bear's post:
Thefacebookbear
So why do some experts dispute the claim we have man made climate change?
LE - aka John
Could you tell me which experts you are referring to?
Proud to be a Bear
Let's start with the Daily Mail :thumbup:
LE - aka John
The Daily Mail have their own agenda.
Is Nigel Lawson one of the Daily Mail's experts? :lol:

[Image: 1800339_10152048853142648_1912603264_n.jpg]

Also, this is an entertaining read:

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comm...26449.html
Proud to be a Bear
Silly juvenile article. My argument is - yes there is climate change and the world is a bit warmer than it was. But was is not conclusive is that it is solely man-made.
Plus - even if it is just what can I do about it? Sell the car - but that just results in someone else driving it. Only get a bus to go on holidays - but there will be no reduction in the number of planes flying. Only buy local organic produce with no carbon miles - but the government will have to increase my pension to help pay for it. And finally turn of the heating and give up!
LE - aka John
[-] The following 2 users Like Leicester Exile's post:
Redditchbear, Warleybear
I do my bit for the environment – I recycle my waste. I use my blue bin. I do it because I think we should, where possible, try to do our bit. What gets me, is the constant being ripped off whilst there is no plan in place. Im currently sitting on a train… Its packed and expensive. The type of help I get in keeping my house warm is useless (lag the tank and the roof…. Its been done). No real help with a wall with no cavity. What use has the environmental tax really been? A few light bulbs (as an environmental tax dodge… Npower delivered them?) that weren’t very good (they now charge £ 3 for an environmental light bulb in many shops???)

Build those windmills and nuclear power stations now. If people don’t want them then get fracking. But no more of this tax, tax, tax and make the country uncompetitive. Understand the price of population increase…. Sadly (and I don’t want it to happen) – it may mean building on the green belt rather than the flood planes…. But at least everyone will understand that pressure on our resources from uncontrolled population growth has an impact beyond the cities….
[-] The following 2 users Like Warleybear's post:
Leicester Exile, Redditchbear
If they continue building on floodplains then they are bonkers. As was on Panorama last night parts of the country will become uninhabitable, Somerset in particular and areas near the coast. The Govt have cut spending on environmental protection and now people are paying the price, yet HS2 has cost at least 60 billion of our taxes so far.
From 2000 the annual increase in population far exceeded the number of new builds, which means that the UK's chronic long standing housing shortage is going to get worse. Brown field sites cant handle this increase. So we either control population increase through reducing low skill immigration (unless we have a logans run system), continue to build on the flood planes or build on the green belt. Decisions that are difficult.... especially for the do gooder (who doesn't like windmills in the shires let alone nuclear power or HS2). Infrastructure is good... but why waste tax payers money on defences so people can live the dream by a river or live in houses that should have never been built on a flood plane anyway? Tax payers funding a king Canute policy of the unseen effects of population growth. Why should I pay for it..... why hasn't government factored in some of these problems when they talk so positively about 2, 3, 4 or 5 decades of importing an uncontrolled cheap labour work force? Our lives enriched? Perhaps..... but not at some of the unmanaged extremes.

In 2013 our population grew officially by the most in Europe at nearly half a million (source Independent etc. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/hom...51929.html), this is bound to impact on the environment, education, health and housing etc. It is estimated that it will grow on a recorded basis (not including those who hide) by 10 million in two decades..... so if we go on like this, we cant escape the fact that we will need more and more houses. They say health is ring fenced. True... but if the pot goes up by inflation from £ 100 to be shared by 10 people to £102 to be shared by 15.... is it really ring fenced? Same with other services and utilities. Should we be surprised that we are squeezing our environment in the UK?

What do the do.....? Bang on about climate change and how are young people are lazy..... or plan for what we can handle as a country in numbers and put in an infrastructure around it.... such as a balanced power and transport policy that create jobs and skills for the 21st century?

Difficult decisions.... the answer isn't tax, tax, tax and stick the bills up. The answer isn't to make Britain uncompetitive!

We need a balanced system that doesn't spank the British tax paying public for problems caused by successive Governments failure.

Must remember to put out my recycling bin tonight :thumbup:
(18-02-2014, 04:45 PM)Warleybear Wrote: From 2000 the annual increase in population far exceeded the number of new builds, which means that the UK's chronic long standing housing shortage is going to get worse. Brown field sites cant handle this increase. So we either control population increase through reducing low skill immigration (unless we have a logans run system), continue to build on the flood planes or build on the green belt. Decisions that are difficult.... especially for the do gooder (who doesn't like windmills in the shires let alone nuclear power or HS2). Infrastructure is good... but why waste tax payers money on defences so people can live the dream by a river or live in houses that should have never been built on a flood plane anyway? Tax payers funding a king Canute policy of the unseen effects of population growth. Why should I pay for it..... why hasn't government factored in some of these problems when they talk so positively about 2, 3, 4 or 5 decades of importing an uncontrolled cheap labour work force? Our lives enriched? Perhaps..... but not at some of the unmanaged extremes.

In 2013 our population grew officially by the most in Europe at nearly half a million (source Independent etc. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/hom...51929.html), this is bound to impact on the environment, education, health and housing etc. It is estimated that it will grow on a recorded basis (not including those who hide) by 10 million in two decades..... so if we go on like this, we cant escape the fact that we will need more and more houses. They say health is ring fenced. True... but if the pot goes up by inflation from £ 100 to be shared by 10 people to £102 to be shared by 15.... is it really ring fenced? Same with other services and utilities. Should we be surprised that we are squeezing our environment in the UK?

What do the do.....? Bang on about climate change and how are young people are lazy..... or plan for what we can handle as a country in numbers and put in an infrastructure around it.... such as a balanced power and transport policy that create jobs and skills for the 21st century?

Difficult decisions.... the answer isn't tax, tax, tax and stick the bills up. The answer isn't to make Britain uncompetitive!

We need a balanced system that doesn't spank the British tax paying public for problems caused by successive Governments failure.

Must remember to put out my recycling bin tonight :thumbup:

We can't do much about immigration if we stay in the eu. So if we want to stay part of europe we have to make our country less welcoming. Will HS2 solve our transport problems? To be honest this govt have showed little interest in climate change. If it wasn't for the libdems they would probably not be interested at all in reducing co2 emmisions
When the bubble burst in 2008 so did interest in climate change. The costs were too high and along with bankers contributed to the slide of the economy by squeezing people and business. The cost of change too high. Tax, Tax, Tax. No alternative power generation structure in place. Get that right and then focus on the other issues.

Whilst I bang on about it, I have no problem with mass immigration - it keeps house prices high and low skilled wages low. It keeps interest rates down through low inflation. There are consequences though and as long as people understand them .... including the liberal do gooders, young people and Union bosses. Sometimes you cant have your bread buttered on both sides?
(18-02-2014, 06:06 PM)Warleybear Wrote: When the bubble burst in 2008 so did interest in climate change. The costs were too high and along with bankers contributed to the slide of the economy by squeezing people and business. The cost of change too high. Tax, Tax, Tax. No alternative power generation structure in place. Get that right and then focus on the other issues.

Whilst I bang on about it, I have no problem with mass immigration - it keeps house prices high and low skilled wages low. It keeps interest rates down through low inflation. There are consequences though and as long as people understand them .... including the liberal do gooders, young people and Union bosses. Sometimes you cant have your bread buttered on both sides?

Are these good things! People who have saved all their lives are now losing money because of quantitiive easing and interest rates below the rate of inflation. I don't really get these low inflation rates either when essential services like gas/electricity has gone up by over 10%. Is it just a con so the bank of england wont increase the interest rate.. I don't believe anything that politicians say anymore.
Inflation rate - the problem is the shopping basket used includes many items bought very occasionally - like TVs I think. There should be an inflation rate based on items bought at least annually.
LE - aka John
[-] The following 2 users Like Leicester Exile's post:
Paul, Warleybear
Low interest rates are excellent for younger people..... High interest rates would lead to mortgage misery and more recession. Older people tend to have benefited in the past with cheap houses, MIRAS mortgage tax relief and now free bus passes and winter fuel payments. Etc. They are the golden generation.... even had free university grants. Good luck to them.... Better than 5% on say £10k?

Do agree with LEs comments on the inflation basket.... My fuel and water bills seem quite high. My council would just love to add 10% to my council tax if it could to fund the gold plated jock strap pensions in the unreal world of the public sector.... Remember the good old days under Labour when the council tax doubled in 6 or 7 years.

Have they started building those windmills and nuclear power stations yet? Probably not......
(18-02-2014, 08:32 PM)Warleybear Wrote: Low interest rates are excellent for younger people..... High interest rates would lead to mortgage misery and more recession. Older people tend to have benefited in the past with cheap houses, MIRAS mortgage tax relief and now free bus passes and winter fuel payments. Etc. They are the golden generation.... even had free university grants. Good luck to them.... Better than 5% on say £10k?

Do agree with LEs comments on the inflation basket.... My fuel and water bills seem quite high. My council would just love to add 10% to my council tax if it could to fund the gold plated jock strap pensions in the unreal world of the public sector.... Remember the good old days under Labour when the council tax doubled in 6 or 7 years.

Have they started building those windmills and nuclear power stations yet? Probably not......

Yes but they made good use of our money with projects like 'The Public' :thumbup:
[-] The following 2 users Like Paul's post:
Leicester Exile, Warleybear