Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Global Warming
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24833148
(06-11-2013, 01:25 PM)Paul Wrote: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24833148

Oh dear oh dear, not good news. But don't worry though, as global warming doesn't exist Rolleyes
Proud to be a Bear
Quote:....Scientists believe that the new data indicates that global warming will be back with a vengeance, after a slowdown in the rate of temperature increases over the past 14 years......

Glad to see you and the BBC have finally come round eh Paul? :fishing:
[-] The following 1 user Likes DaveC's post:
Warleybear
There hasn't really been a slowdown. What they have done is picked a starting point in in 1998 when we had unusually high temperatures. If they had started a year earlier or a year later we would see a totally different picture. anyway it doesn't reflect the sea temperature rises.

Attached Files Image(s)

As I see it, the big advantage of global warming is that it will solve the problem of too many international grounds in this country.
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2013/0...melted-map
Looking at the European map, I reckon Edgbaston and Trent Bridge will be fine; but you can forget most of the others, including Lord's and the Oval. So on that basis, Stadium Edgbaston should get at least two or three international matches a year.
Result!
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
[-] The following 1 user Likes Terry's post:
Warleybear
We'd be pretty congested around here and there wouldn't be enough houses for everyone.
So it's good bye to Holland, then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LE - aka John
All a load of do gooder bollox to frighten people..... Solution...... Build those nuclear power stations and introduce two tariffs.... The do gooder tariff and the cheaper "I don't want to freeze" tariff. Let the people decide! If you are an eco fascist (not bothered about the poor struggling to keep warm) who doesnt like Nuclear Power and wants windmills and a world free of passports you pay 50p a unit, otherwise its 5p a unit. The do gooder is devoid of real solutions... Windmills and tidal barriers. Indirect taxation on the poor is their motto. A few hundred years ago, they thought they were entering an ice age http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Thames_frost_fairs Then in 1858 they thought it was going to be tropical http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Stink The do gooders need to stop playing the politics of fear and come up with real workable multiple solutions rather than delay and procrastination.

By the way.... Nice to see the Indians launch their mission to Mars this week. They don't seem to worry about namby pamby do gooders, windmills and charity (well not the giving part).....
[-] The following 2 users Like Warleybear's post:
Leicester Exile, Redditchbear
Well Nuclear is low carbon but there's still a problem dumping the waste which nobody wants. Anyway its a falicy to believe that renewable energy investments are responsible for high fuel bills. it only takes up a small proportion of your fuel bill. And even if they built 10 nuclear power stations we are talking 10 years before they will be connected to the national grid. So you sill still freeze the next 10 winters.
Get those power stations built Warley.We could have two for the price of HS2!
I'm appalled that we appear to be funding India's Space & Nuclear prorammes in the name of foreign aid.
I bet that the people that live in poverty really feel the benefit of our hard earned taxes....NOT!

ALWAYS A BEAR
[-] The following 1 user Likes Redditchbear's post:
Leicester Exile
(07-11-2013, 07:17 PM)Warleybear Wrote: All a load of do gooder bollox to frighten people..... Solution...... Build those nuclear power stations and introduce two tariffs.... The do gooder tariff and the cheaper "I don't want to freeze" tariff. Let the people decide! If you are an eco fascist (not bothered about the poor struggling to keep warm) who doesnt like Nuclear Power and wants windmills and a world free of passports you pay 50p a unit, otherwise its 5p a unit. The do gooder is devoid of real solutions... Windmills and tidal barriers. Indirect taxation on the poor is their motto. A few hundred years ago, they thought they were entering an ice age http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Thames_frost_fairs Then in 1858 they thought it was going to be tropical http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Stink The do gooders need to stop playing the politics of fear and come up with real workable multiple solutions rather than delay and procrastination.

By the way.... Nice to see the Indians launch their mission to Mars this week. They don't seem to worry about namby pamby do gooders, windmills and charity (well not the giving part).....

I hope for the same of humanity in decades and centuries to come that the majority of the population of this country doesn't think like you...yes nuclear power is a carbon-free form of energy but that does not mean that we should completely scrap renewable energy. It is a viable source of energy if deployed in the correct way. I maintain that solar power across much of the country would solve much of the country's problems. The real thing that is driving up energy prices is private companies controlling our supplies - re-nationalise gas and electric supplies and prevent the rising prices from filling shareholders and energy bosses' pockets.
Proud to be a Bear
(08-11-2013, 12:15 AM)Exiled Bear Wrote:
(07-11-2013, 07:17 PM)Warleybear Wrote: All a load of do gooder bollox to frighten people..... Solution...... Build those nuclear power stations and introduce two tariffs.... The do gooder tariff and the cheaper "I don't want to freeze" tariff. Let the people decide! If you are an eco fascist (not bothered about the poor struggling to keep warm) who doesnt like Nuclear Power and wants windmills and a world free of passports you pay 50p a unit, otherwise its 5p a unit. The do gooder is devoid of real solutions... Windmills and tidal barriers. Indirect taxation on the poor is their motto. A few hundred years ago, they thought they were entering an ice age http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Thames_frost_fairs Then in 1858 they thought it was going to be tropical http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Stink The do gooders need to stop playing the politics of fear and come up with real workable multiple solutions rather than delay and procrastination.

I hope for the same of humanity in decades and centuries to come that the majority of the population of this country doesn't think like you...yes nuclear power is a carbon-free form of energy but that does not mean that we should completely scrap renewable energy. It is a viable source of energy if deployed in the correct way. I maintain that solar power across much of the country would solve much of the country's problems. The real thing that is driving up energy prices is private companies controlling our supplies - re-nationalise gas and electric supplies and prevent the rising prices from filling shareholders and energy bosses' pockets.

ALWAYS A BEAR
Solar power in this country will never work as we only have around five months when there is actually a chance of the sun shining for any length of time.As for the ugly windmills,they both ruin our countryside and our coastlines and when the wind actually blows,they turn them off.Then they get blown over.Top thinking that is isn't it!
Cancel HS2 and build those power stations :thumbup:

ALWAYS A BEAR

100% agree with everything you wrote. Its a real shame people don't care about future generations.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul's post:
Warleybear
(08-11-2013, 01:02 AM)Redditchbear Wrote: Solar power in this country will never work as we only have around five months when there is actually a chance of the sun shining for any length of time.As for the ugly windmills,they both ruin our countryside and our coastlines and when the wind actually blows,they turn them off.Then they get blown over.Top thinking that is isn't it!
Cancel HS2 and build those power stations :thumbup:

That's an urban myth - solar power is a viable source of energy in this country. As I've said previously, my parents' house (in the north of England so not the sunniest place in the country) has a small number of solar panels on the roof and they produce more energy than their 5 bed house uses and the excess gets fed back into the grid to be used by others. It also doesn't actually have to be sunny in order to generate solar power - modern solar panels are efficient enough to be able to produce a surprising amount of energy, even in winter and when it is cloudy too. Wind turbines I'm not so much of a fan of, but they still provide a valuable source of energy, particularly offshore wind farms which can only be a good thing surely?
Proud to be a Bear
(08-11-2013, 01:08 AM)Paul Wrote:

100% agree with everything you wrote. Its a real shame people don't care about future generations.

I'm actually quite shocked that we seem to be in the minority on this forum...
Proud to be a Bear
I think there's 3 of us.

I may as well declare myself as being on the side of those who are scared that we are messing up the world for future generations. I don't want my granddaughter, who is eight, to look back in thirty years or so and wonder why I and others of my generation did so little to prevent disasters that were clearly predicted.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
[-] The following 2 users Like Terry's post:
Exiled Bear, Paul
I love this thread - I'm going to print it out - read it and then put it in my recycle bin. :-)

The politics of fear. Tell people we’re going to kill the planet in thirty years….. this means that muddled eco – fascist scientists get grants to prove that the power generators were right to jack those prices up to protect the environment with an evironmental esclator levy (a price worth paying). No answers or solutions … just happy scientists, utility shareholders, higher bills and people who fear winter. Meanwhile India heads off to mars and China ………..

I care about people ...... people who are frightened when their bill hits the mat. Build those Nuclear power stations before its too late. Two tariffs - one for those who want windmills and a cheaper one for those who want a balanced power generation and dont want to keep putting it off. You see the green activists just want windmills and solar panels. Not in their back yard though. The shire counties dont like winmills or trains. Say 'balanced' and they go into tree hugger mode and want to cherry pick... avoiding nuclear power (which IS part of the equation).
(08-11-2013, 05:18 PM)Warleybear Wrote: I love this thread - I'm going to print it out - read it and then put it in my recycle bin. :-)

The politics of fear. Tell people we’re going to kill the planet in thirty years….. this means that muddled eco – fascist scientists get grants to prove that the power generators were right to jack those prices up to protect the environment with an evironmental esclator levy (a price worth paying). No answers or solutions … just happy scientists, utility shareholders, higher bills and people who fear winter. Meanwhile India heads off to mars and China ………..

I care about people ...... people who are frightened when their bill hits the mat. Build those Nuclear power stations before its too late. Two tariffs - one for those who want windmills and a cheaper one for those who want a balanced power generation and dont want to keep putting it off. You see the green activists just want windmills and solar panels. Not in their back yard though. The shire counties dont like winmills or trains. Say 'balanced' and they go into tree hugger mode and want to cherry pick... avoiding nuclear power (which IS part of the equation).

Maybe you've read Michael Crichton's state of fear Warley! Worst book he ever wrote in my opnion