Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Ashes (again)
Well England are in the land of the old enemy and we haven't got a thread on here yet.The Bears boys appear to be in fine fettle which is good from our perspective.
How do we think that the series will pan out? I would be happy to return with The Ashes retained.I thought that the last series was closer than 3-0 suggested.It will certainly not be the walkover that some are suggesting in my opinion.
ALWAYS A BEAR
Botham saying 5-0 was rediculous imo. I think it will be a very close series. If Mitchell Johnson get a recall and is firing like he did in the odis he's going to cause a lot of problems for one or two of our batsmen. England haven't solved the opening slot issue yet. Big series for Root! Who will be Englands third seamer. Rankin must be in with a shout.
I fancy Carberry to open with Root at number 6.As for the third seamer,I reckon that our man is in the frame for sure :001_smile:
ALWAYS A BEAR
I see that Shane Warne is stirring the pre-Ashes pot:
http://www.sportinglife.com/cricket/news...5/9007989/-
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
(04-11-2013, 12:46 AM)Redditchbear Wrote: I fancy Carberry to open with Root at number 6.As for the third seamer,I reckon that our man is in the frame for sure :001_smile:

Hmm I think they may start with Root as opener and Balance at 6. I'm not sure they are ready to give up on Root as opener just yet. In any case Carberry is very lucky to get a place in the squad
(04-11-2013, 12:46 AM)Redditchbear Wrote: I fancy Carberry to open with Root at number 6.As for the third seamer,I reckon that our man is in the frame for sure :001_smile:

Looks like your right and I'm wrong. :thumbup: Nothing new there!
don't forget that BBC Radio are providing full ball by ball coverage of all the remaining tour games on Five live sports extra and online.
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
(06-11-2013, 07:19 PM)Paul Wrote:

Looks like your right and I'm wrong. :thumbup: Nothing new there!

Having watched today's highlights on Sky, I thought a lot of the bowling was terrible. But when the quicks (who weren't very quick) bowled a decent line and length, I thought that Carberry's technique was all over the place. So although he may get the nod, I wouldn't bet on him scoring too many against the Australian front-line bowlers on quicker pitches. But then again, I may be wrong.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Good one day player but have doubts about him at this level. In Fc cricket he seems to get the easier runs - last year in div 2 he got one 100 and one 90; both in games where the opposition scored around 500.

Remember that last day 100 v us on a dead pitch in 2011 and from the same season:

http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scorec...16332.html

http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scorec...72476.html
Supporter of the 2014 County Champions
(06-11-2013, 08:49 PM)Kim Wrote: Good one day player but have doubts about him at this level. In Fc cricket he seems to get the easier runs - last year in div 2 he got one 100 and one 90; both in games where the opposition scored around 500.

Remember that last day 100 v us on a dead pitch in 2011 and from the same season:

http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scorec...16332.html

http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scorec...72476.html

Yes decent first class average but The Rose bowl has been the flattest of pitches.
When Hampshire got relegated from Division One I thought Carberry would start setting records in the lower division. He hasn't come close and frankly isn't the player he was before his health problems in 2010. Nice bloke, who once poured me a cup of tea at a Lashings game, but I'm surprised he's on the tour.
Terry,I too watched the highlights and thought exactly the same as you did.He did play and miss a lot whereas Cook didn't.This jury is still out.I still prefer Root lower down the order but who would open then?
ALWAYS A BEAR
There's no other choice, its Carberry or Root.
I think it was the less talented member of the cricketi Pringles, Derek, who on the Bbc coverage of the first days play said the feeling was that "Compton was high maintanence".
Something I found surprising, as he would surely have been a better opening option.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
What exactly does he mean by high maintanance? I agree Compton or Carberry no contest in my view!
(07-11-2013, 11:47 AM)The Good Mugabe Wrote: I think it was the less talented member of the cricketi Pringles, Derek, who on the Bbc coverage of the first days play said the feeling was that "Compton was high maintanence".
Something I found surprising, as he would surely have been a better opening option.

And we can't have that in the squad can we?

KP??
What do people think about the third seamer?

Finn: got 5 wickets in the first innings but he's leaking runs. The Aussies will target him.
Rankin: Hasn't got the wickets but he's been a lot more economical in this match
Tremlett: Surely not. Shadow of the bowler last time we were over there.

(15-11-2013, 01:16 PM)Paul Wrote: What do people think about the third seamer?

Finn: got 5 wickets in the first innings but he's leaking runs. The Aussies will target him.
Rankin: Hasn't got the wickets but he's been a lot more economical in this match

Finn was dropped last time because he went at 4.30 an over in tests.

This time hes gone at 4.44 in warm ups.

Tremlett 1 wicket at a SR of 222 on tour; only justification for picking him is that he did well on a tour that ended in Jan 2011. As its Nov 2013....

Boyd is harder to judge as he is learning about Aussie wickets - read that his lengths haven't been right.

So dunno really.
(17-11-2013, 07:55 PM)Kim Wrote:
(15-11-2013, 01:16 PM)Paul Wrote: What do people think about the third seamer?

Finn was dropped last time because he went at 4.30 an over in tests.

This time hes gone at 4.44 in warm ups.

Tremlett 1 wicket at a SR of 222 on tour; only justification for picking him is that he did well on a tour that ended in Jan 2011. As its Nov 2013....

Boyd is harder to judge as he is learning about Aussie wickets - read that his lengths haven't been right.

So dunno really.

I sense they will go with Finn but its a huge risk to pick him when you only have three seamers. There's talk of Bresnan playing in the 2nd test. That would be a strange one.

Even more worrying, is that if Graham Swan is injured the whole balance of the side is affected, as the replacement spinner is totally incompetent with a bat, and in the field at this level.

Maybe not this trip, but with KP, Swann & possibly, Prior reaching the end of their test careers, there will be chances for Chris Woakes, Varun & even Moeen, provided the "Yorkshire mafia" don't have the entire Yorkshire squad in the England side.
There are GOOD Mugabe's