Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A new quiz question
Following on from the Triple international question.

Since 1977, Warwickshire have played first team home games, either First Class or Limited overs, at 5 (five) outgrounds.

Name the grounds and when they were last used?

(Ideally, WITHOUT accessing cricinfo etc)
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
stratford 2004/5
Coventry courthaulds the season villa won the league 80/81 but it was 1980 because I remember villa won at leeds that day, prob played since and before that
Nuneaton sunday league the year we won it in 1980. Andy Lloyd and Dennis Amiss made runs that day

leave the rest for the experts
Well, obviously Stratford. I can't remember the date but Warley will know.
Plus Rugby this year.
I was reading an article recently about the Courtaulds ground and how it is now in total disrepair. I can't remember where I saw it but it made for quite sad reading.
I've resisted the temptation to look up the identity of the fifth ground and will have a further think about it.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
I was thinking Walsall but of course that an away game against Staffs. I think that was 86. I had gaps in following so it must be in one of those gaps. i think Parkfield Bear will know the answer because hes been following since 1870. just kdding!
Here's the article about Courtaulds:
http://www.exacteditions.com/read/backsp...34350/15/3
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Well, you have got 4 of the five
Courtoulds, first class & b&h cup
Stratford, first class & List A
Griff & Coton, first class & list A
Rugby School, T20, list A in 2014
Xxxxxxxx, first class, and a current 2nd xi venue
There are GOOD Mugabe's
(29-10-2013, 04:26 PM)The Good Mugabe Wrote: Well, you have got 4 of the five
Courtoulds, first class & b&h cup
Stratford, first class & List A
Griff & Coton, first class & list A
Rugby School, T20, list A in 2014
Xxxxxxxx, first class, and a current 2nd xi venue
c+nw

[somewhere in Nuneaton maybe??
The last game played by Warwickshire at Courtaulds was a John Player League game in 1983 against Derbyshire. I remember it because I was in my final year at Warwick University and got the bus up there to watch the game.

Warwickshire played at Coventry & North Warwicks (aka The Bull's Head) between 1990 and 1992. I went to the opening day of the first game v Lancashire and (quite by chance) to the final day against Middlesex in 1992. I was on a course from work in Coventry which finished early and having heard a score I rushed over hoping to see an exciting finish. Sadly the Bears were rolled over by John Emburey in their run chase, and I just got there as the last rites were being administered.

Living on the east side of Brum I used to be a regular attender at Griff & Coton. I can't remember off the top of my head when we stopped playing there, but I'm guessing 1989 as after that the "out" games moved to C & NW.

Stratford- my mum and I decided to go and stop down there for a few days in 2005 and we stopped in a hotel right next to the ground. Lo and behold the game finished in two days- which probably cooked its goose as a venue for county games. At the end they were selling off Deuchars IPA very cheaply in the beer tent and as I didn't have to drive home that night... it would have been rude not to! ;)
Well done, but obviously that was too easy.

Next one

Who is the only person to have made his ICC world cup debut as a player after he had taken part in an ICC world cup as a coach?
There are GOOD Mugabe's
Dougie Brown. Coach to Namibia in the 2003 World Cup, played for Scotland in the 2007 version.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Red Baron's post:
The Good Mugabe
Here's one for you- which Warwickshire player made his first-class debut in 1974 and did not set foot on the field of play in his debut match.
Steve Perryman

http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scorec...34392.html
There are GOOD Mugabe's
(29-10-2013, 07:32 PM)The Red Baron Wrote: The last game played by Warwickshire at Courtaulds was a John Player League game in 1983 against Derbyshire. I remember it because I was in my final year at Warwick University and got the bus up there to watch the game.

Warwickshire played at Coventry & North Warwicks (aka The Bull's Head) between 1990 and 1992. I went to the opening day of the first game v Lancashire and (quite by chance) to the final day against Middlesex in 1992. I was on a course from work in Coventry which finished early and having heard a score I rushed over hoping to see an exciting finish. Sadly the Bears were rolled over by John Emburey in their run chase, and I just got there as the last rites were being administered.

Living on the east side of Brum I used to be a regular attender at Griff & Coton. I can't remember off the top of my head when we stopped playing there, but I'm guessing 1989 as after that the "out" games moved to C & NW.

Stratford- my mum and I decided to go and stop down there for a few days in 2005 and we stopped in a hotel right next to the ground. Lo and behold the game finished in two days- which probably cooked its goose as a venue for county games. At the end they were selling off Deuchars IPA very cheaply in the beer tent and as I didn't have to drive home that night... it would have been rude not to! ;)
It was a good two days though with us winning by 10 wickets and KP and Warne in the opposing side. The sunday didn't go too well though.

(29-10-2013, 09:03 PM)The Good Mugabe Wrote: Steve Perryman

http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scorec...34392.html

Memories of players when I first went down to watch us.
Ok how many Scotsmen have played international cricket for England?
I remember the Daily Telegraph report had a great photo of Dougie taking a wicket.

There are GOOD Mugabe's
(29-10-2013, 09:34 PM)Paul Wrote: Ok how many Scotsmen have played international cricket for England?

Can think of a few:

Mike Denness
Peter Such
Gavin Hamilton
Dougie Brown
Gregor McGregor
Ian Peebles
David Larter
Alec Kennedy

If we're including "of Scottish parentage" then we can throw in Douglas Jardine and Tony and Ian Greig as well.
I don't know the answer. I was just interested other than Dougie how many Scottish people had played cricket for England. I remember Mike Denness - he captained England didn't he. He played for KENT And wasn't very good I don't think. Did Ali Brown play for England?
Mike Denness captained England 19 times, though he had the misfortune to be in charge of the team on the ill-starred tour of Australia in 1974-75 when his side was routed by Lillee and Thomson. They lost the series 4-1, the only win coming in the final test when Thomson was injured and Lillee broke down early on in the match. Denness struggled against the pace of the Aussie attack, although he wasn't the only one (Dennis Amiss had a rotten time of it). Denness dropped himself for the 4th test and handed over the captaincy to John Edrich, but returned for the last two tests as Edrich was injured. In that final test, with no Lillee and Thomson to worry about, Denness scored 188.

The end of his test career came at Edgbaston in 1975 when he put Australia in to bat on a good wicket. England then had to bat on a rain-affected pitch and were beaten by an innings. He was sacked and replaced by Tony Greig.

Ali Brown of Surrey did play for England in a number of ODIs, but he wasn't Scottish.

Another Scottish-born player to represent England was the Middlesex opener Eric Russell, who was born in Dumbarton.