Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
for all you music lovers part 2
I am a massive Floyd fan, I managed to get hold of an autographed page from the MarkII line-up ( Waters, Wright, Mason, Gilmour) last year from someone who waited outside some event about 5 years ago when all four were present. This bloke authenticates the signatures by getting his mate to actually film or photograph the actual signing. His mate filmed Amy Winehouse signing a guitar about a year before she died. Well done Pete on going to see Neil Young. When I found out tickets were on sale, the best ones had gone and I wasn't prepared to sit in a seat where the view is no better than a carpark.
[-] The following 1 user Likes paulbear's post:
littlepete
cool paul i sure would have loved to have seen them perform live, but the Australian Pink Floyd Show is fantastic to go and see, so is Brit Floyd.
Keep Calm i am a Warwickshire Bear
(26-05-2013, 07:34 PM)littlepete Wrote: cool paul i sure would have loved to have seen them perform live, but the Australian Pink Floyd Show is fantastic to go and see, so is Brit Floyd.

I did see Pink Floyd live a few times including at the old Bingley Hall Stafford. They were fantastic (I was of course a babe in arms - ahem!). Agree with Pete that a fantastic substitute is to see probably the best tribute band around - the Brit Pink Floyd who came out of the very acrimonious split of the Aussie Pink Floyd. I do prefer the Brit one because they have Damien Darlington, one of the best guitarists out. They are at the Symphony Hall in the Autumn.
[-] The following 1 user Likes stingray's post:
littlepete
I must try and get to see a Floyd tribute. I never did get to see the Gilmour, Mason, Waters, Wright line up but did see the group without Waters 3 times 1988-90 and Waters himself at the Berlin Wall Concert in 1990. The Trouble with Floyd is they hardly played Birmingham, 1970 (I have a Bootleg of this) and 1974 is the last time they did so going to see them as a schoolkid in 1977 and after was always going to be a problem. I still have all my tickets and I even have one from a U.S gig in 1967 at the Fillmore in San Francisco and a handbill from the same year at New Yorks Cheetah Club. Stingray, you must have gone to the 'Animals' tour in 1977, I'd love to have seen that, a really under-rated album. Saw a ticket and programme on E-bay a year ago but was outbid for it. There is a great book containing all gigs and other assorted things by Glenn Povey called 'Echoes' and it is absolutely brilliant. I got it for £10 at Virgin but Amazon has it at £22 but it is still great at that price.
I didn't know there were so many Pink Floyd fans around still :thumbup:

I was a fan myself when I was in my teens. I guess I was as much intrigued by the Syd Barrett mystery as anything. Dark side of the moon and Wish you were here were classic albums.
(27-05-2013, 11:59 PM)Paul Wrote: I didn't know there were so many Pink Floyd fans around still :thumbup:

I was a fan myself when I was in my teens. I guess I was as much intrigued by the Syd Barrett mystery as anything. Dark side of the moon and Wish you were here were classic albums.

It's not just our generation Paul. My godson who is 25 is very keen on them as are a lot of his friends. Great music stands the test of time I guess!
Yes I was joking Stingray. My daughters boyfriend is a big fan as well.
Dark Side Of The Moon has now sold 50 million copies and there is a radio play about it on radio 2 in August. Roger Waters said a few years ago in Mojo magazine that it sells 500,000 copies a year just in the U.S.A. alone so there are still enough people discovering them all the time - I can't think it is just a case of all the 70's Floyd fans replacing their vinyl copies. There are probably loads of people out there who don't even know what they sound like due to - not releasing many singles over the years and not getting any airplay, a lot of their songs being too long for commercial radio and because a lot of youngsters are just not curious enough to listen to a band they don't know because they haven't been force fed them on MTV or any other 'in your face' ways and means.
i always listen to Planet rock they play songs that dont get Air Play on other radio stations, always playing Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath, Stepping Wolf and many more.
Australian Pink Floyd have announced there tour for 2014 NIA in march they will be playing Wish You Where Here, Dark Side Of The Moon & Division Bell Cover To Cover, i will be going 3 great albums.
Can't believe I have just managed to get a Crosby, Stills and Nash ticket for October just by trying different sites and seeing what they have got in the way of better tickets.
[-] The following 1 user Likes paulbear's post:
littlepete
Are they still around? Sorry but the one thing that sticks in my mind about them is when I first got my record shop, back in the 80s I was stuck with a lot old stuck which included Crosby stills and Nash albums and I couldn't shift them despite trying to sell them off cheap .

Oh no, no, no. The eponymous first album is a work of genius that I still play frequently. I even bought it again on CD.

Never thought Neil Young added much though.
(31-05-2013, 03:46 PM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: Oh no, no, no. The eponymous first album is a work of genius that I still play frequently. I even bought it again on CD.

i think the time Neil Young was with the band it helped C.S.N find them selves again, but young didnt need them as he was with Crazy Horse and still plays with him today.

(31-05-2013, 03:46 PM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: Oh no, no, no. The eponymous first album is a work of genius that I still play frequently. I even bought it again on CD.

I wasn't meaning to knock them as a group Grizzly. Just wasn't much call for them in the area the shop was I guess.
There are Floyd fans all over here - good to see. I went to most UK shows post 1987 - amazing band live and the fill in bassist (Guy Pratt) was also a musical hero of mine so worth the price of admission...

I would have loved to have seen the Animals tour - completely agree that the album is an underrated gem whereas I can take or leave lots of some others (The Wall / The Final Cut).

Did anybody make it along to the Rush show at the NEC last week. I took my 12 year old (to his second show) and it was one of the most amazing performances that I've ever been to. They played the second half with a string ensemble playing amongst a pyrotechnics show that would humble most New Years Eve parties... awesome...
Yes, The Final Cut sounds like a Waters solo album which it more or less is and does not feature the late Richard Wright. It was never toured and seems to have been done as a contractual obligation at best. I do like The Wall but do not listen to it if I'm feeling P***** off with anything and would definately not have put it on after last years final. Looking forward to C.S & N and they are not an ongoing thing but get up for a tour every so often. I missed them last time as I didn't want to pay £45 in 2004 but all gigs with established artists are expensive and now I just say to myself "I like that band/artist so I'm going to see them". Sheer indulgence.
Yes I actually liked Meddle too. Atom heart mother was ok. Animals is probably the only one I still listen to. My reason is that I played Dark side of the moon and wish you were here to death when they were out. The wall was a long time coming. I think it was released in 1980 3 years after animals. A good seller, highly rated album but maybe not enough good stuff to warrant a double album. The Final Cut was poor and it was basically a Waters solo album.
well my favorite Birmingham band Editors have released there 4th studio album The Weight Of Your Love, and i got it on day of release pre ordered and i got a signed picture from the band, looking forward to see them live again in November.
Yes Pete I have been listening to it non stop. It's really good.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul's post:
littlepete
would you say its their best album mate im starting to think so.