Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Peaky Blinders
I agree, of course, about Peaky Blinders. I'm pleased that there's to be a second series, though I thought that the end of the last episode of series one was a bit contrived to create a cliff-hanger for the next series.
My daughter has recently been working on the filming of an adaptation of Jamaica Inn which will be broadcast by BBC and she says will be really good:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestn...sting.html
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
By Any Means is another excellent BBC series.
LE - aka John
(20-10-2013, 05:47 PM)Terry Wrote: I agree, of course, about Peaky Blinders. I'm pleased that there's to be a second series, though I thought that the end of the last episode of series one was a bit contrived to create a cliff-hanger for the next series.
My daughter has recently been working on the filming of an adaptation of Jamaica Inn which will be broadcast by BBC and she says will be really good:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestn...sting.html

Yes the ending was contrived so the romance between Thomas and Grace will continue. In all reality they would have killed her! Jamaica Inn looks good Terry, I will check it out!
I sometimes think John Cleese had the right idea with Fawlty Towers, they wrote a brilliant series and did not spoil the memory by trying to repeat it. Peaky Blinders was outstanding but could easily have come to a natural conclusion in the last episode but as others have said they went for a contrived ending to keep the "suspense" going. The film industry do it all the time with sequels and not many come off.
(21-10-2013, 07:41 PM)parkfield bear Wrote: I sometimes think John Cleese had the right idea with Fawlty Towers, they wrote a brilliant series and did not spoil the memory by trying to repeat it. Peaky Blinders was outstanding but could easily have come to a natural conclusion in the last episode but as others have said they went for a contrived ending to keep the "suspense" going. The film industry do it all the time with sequels and not many come off.

Yes one could also say that Faulty Towers deserved a second series. I've no problem with a second series of Peaky Blinders. We'll have to wait and see if its as good as the first. How many cases have their been where a 2nd series has been better than the first or a film sequel better. I can think of Only Fools and horses. Film wise French Connection 2, silence of the lambs better than manhunter, godfather 2 etc
The series of Dallas where JR was shot by Kristin Shepherd was, I think, the second series and possibly the best soap series of all time.

I also have to admit to being a closet fan of Buffy The Vampire Slayer which just kept getting better and better. Season 5 was my favourite.
Ashes to Ashes was as good (well almost) as Life on Mars. It certainly was justified to do that second series. The Hustle had , I think some 7 excellent series.
LE - aka John
(21-10-2013, 10:25 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: Ashes to Ashes was as good (well almost) as Life on Mars. It certainly was justified to do that second series. The Hustle had , I think some 7 excellent series.

Assuming we are talking about the same programme - Hustle had 8 series in the end, each of them as good as the last!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hustle_%28TV_series%29
Proud to be a Bear
(21-10-2013, 10:25 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: Ashes to Ashes was as good (well almost) as Life on Mars. It certainly was justified to do that second series. The Hustle had , I think some 7 excellent series.

Myself I thought life on mars was better. Hustle - the last series was disappointing and I preferred the ones with Marc Warren and Jaime Murray. Their replacements just weren't as good although the scripts were still good. Robert Glennister, Adrian Lester and Robert Vaughn in particular were excellent. Great series but ran it course.
(22-10-2013, 10:26 AM)Paul Wrote:

Myself I thought life on mars was better. Hustle - the last series was disappointing and I preferred the ones with Marc Warren and Jaime Murray. Their replacements just weren't as good although the scripts were still good. Robert Glennister, Adrian Lester and Robert Vaughn in particular were excellent. Great series but ran it course.

Yes that's true although I still enjoyed the final series. It's a toss up between Ash and Albert for my favourite character but as Ash was the only character to appear in every episode I think it's got to be him. Interestingly the highest audience numbers came during the second to last series.

In terms of programmes being made to run for too long, I think this applies mostly to comedy shows, which is why Fawlty Towers and The Office (the UK version of course) were so good - because they knew when to stop. There's nothing to say that another series of Fawlty Towers wouldn't have been good too, but it probably wouldn't have been as funny as the first.
Proud to be a Bear
Yes I'd prob just go for Ash over Danny Blue. Series Episode 2 The Henderson challenge, I think was the most viewed! Great series though loved it. Mind you as a kid I was a fan of Napoleon Solo, The man from Uncle so Robert Vaughn was a bit of a hero of mine. So great to see him in that series and looking really good for his age.
Peaky Blinders - best new series of 2013 brilliant.

Great news that there will be a new series.

But question is, is the lovely Grace dead or not !!!
(24-10-2013, 04:16 PM)Wolfman09 Wrote: Peaky Blinders - best new series of 2013 brilliant.

I would think not! I think Campbell shot himself instead of her.
(24-10-2013, 04:28 PM)Paul Wrote:
(24-10-2013, 04:16 PM)Wolfman09 Wrote: Peaky Blinders - best new series of 2013 brilliant.

Steven Knight said in an interview about series 2: "All the main players are down for it and really enthusiastic and Sam [Neill, who played Campbell] is like, tweeting all over the place in New Zealand about how he can’t wait."
That implies that they are both in series 2 so maybe he shot and missed!

(24-10-2013, 05:35 PM)Terry Wrote:
(24-10-2013, 04:28 PM)Paul Wrote:

Steven Knight said in an interview about series 2: "All the main players are down for it and really enthusiastic and Sam [Neill, who played Campbell] is like, tweeting all over the place in New Zealand about how he can’t wait."
That implies that they are both in series 2 so maybe he shot and missed!

Ok, its one of those they left ambiguous but I sensed Grace would be in the next series. As long as Cillian is still in it I don't care.

Information about series 2 here:
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a526...eries.html
It seems that the fate of the delectable Grace still hangs in the balance.
Yes good interview with Steven Knight and Cillian Murphy on there. I never realised Steven Knight wrote the screenplay for the films Eastern Promises and Dirty Pretty things. Two very good films.
When the BBC focuses on quality it is superb. Two or three TV channels is enough... Otherwise they focus on telling us what we should be 'politically' thinking or spending millions on F1 (perhaps very nice... but they drive the cost up), Glastonbury (400 staff?) and wages that are ridiculously high but described as 'market level'... throw in gold plated goodbyes etc. and too often the BBC is off piste.

Fortunately it looks like 'minds' may about to be refocused http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24690002

Perhaps the days of the multi million pound contracts for presenters are finally over and the poor TV license payer can see more of what they want, rather than funding Football pundits salaries and the likes of Mr R before he left for ITV.
(27-10-2013, 10:42 AM)Warleybear Wrote: When the BBC focuses on quality it is superb. Two or three TV channels is enough... Otherwise they focus on telling us what we should be 'politically' thinking or spending millions on F1 (perhaps very nice... but they drive the cost up), Glastonbury (400 staff?) and wages that are ridiculously high but described as 'market level'... throw in gold plated goodbyes etc. and too often the BBC is off piste.

Fortunately it looks like 'minds' may about to be refocused http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24690002

Perhaps the days of the multi million pound contracts for presenters are finally over and the poor TV license payer can see more of what they want, rather than funding Football pundits salaries and the likes of Mr R before he left for ITV.

I'm not in favour of the license fee myself. People should have choice!
I take your point that giving people choice rather than levying a fixed fee on everybody is a good principle. But I doubt that a BBC funded by subscription would be any cheaper or if funded by advertising any better. I can't see BBC local radio surviving for long in a purely commercial world.

Greg Dyke's point that every government takes a pop at the BBC just before an election to try and keep them in line is fair. It also indicates that, if all sides think the BBC is biased against them, the BBC is probably doing a good job.