Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bears at Glamorgan
Any thoughts on tonights game ? Hearing trouts may miss this through injury which could be a blow !!
Preview here:
http://deepextracover.com/home/flt20-gla...e-preview/
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
By the way, anyone know why Porterfield didn't play for Ireland and is available to us tonight? Not complaining (though I might do if he gets a first-baller), just wondering.
(03-07-2013, 05:06 PM)Terry Wrote: By the way, anyone know why Porterfield didn't play for Ireland and is available to us tonight? Not complaining (though I might do if he gets a first-baller), just wondering.

He seems to only play in their one-day side.

Anyone know why Ambrose isn't playing?
Presumably to ensure his hip condition doesnt flare up and makes him miss the more important championship games to come.
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
It's going to take a good bowling performance if we're going to win this one from here.
Proud to be a Bear
Poor batting, poor pitch, poor crowd. At least the Bears' bowling and fielding performances kept the match alive almost to the end.
I thought that McKay kept wicket well but there can't be too many sides in the competition with a wicket-keeper batting at number 10.
I can't understand why they prepared a pitch like that. It was a terrible pitch for t20. If you're trying to attract more support, you don't want a pitch where both sides struggle to score more than 6 an over. The fact that there were only 17 4s and 2 6s says it all really.

What's worrying is that we don't seem to have anyone with any real venom or firepower in our batting order, or even someone who can be a bit more creative - all our batsmen like playing 'proper' cricket shots which often isn't good enough in t20 these days.

Need to win our next match and then put some sort of a run together.
Proud to be a Bear
Yes it was a very poor pitch but difference in that game was Nathan Mcullum. Belated happy birthday Lilly
[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul's post:
Lilly
(03-07-2013, 10:45 PM)Paul Wrote: Yes it was a very poor pitch but difference in that game was Nathan Mcullum. Belated happy birthday Lilly

The significance being that McCullum is their second overseas player, whereas we are trying to get by with just one. If the young players come through, it may pay off but I fear that we may be out-gunned.
Being pessimistic is my way of paying homage to Lilly on his birthday.
[-] The following 3 users Like Terry's post:
Lilly, Redditchbear, Warleybear
Yes we really needed a winning start to get some momentum. We definitely have to win the game at Rugby
Disappointing. No power and no creativity from reports.

As for pitches .... This has been a growing problem in T20. The ECB have to act.

We have to move on... Failure is not an option.
I agree 100% Terry.All we are short of is a good overseas T20 batsman.One that can hit sixes at will like McCullum did tonight.We can bowl & we can field but lack that little bit extra in the batting order.

ALWAYS A BEAR
[-] The following 1 user Likes Redditchbear's post:
Warleybear
Dougie thinks it is a good policy.... It worked last year. We saved a lot of money.... although we were out after a few games.
Yes you cant blame Dougie though if the finances aren't there to sign a 2nd overseas player.
Is spending c£30-40K for a few weeks really the best way to develop sustainable long term success for the county? That money could be used to fund development of the current squad and young players.
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
I can see the argument.... But sadly T20 has been seen as the soft touch with the fans by the club for some time (4 games in 7 days at £25 a game was devastating a few seasons ago). Disappointment and no cut and thrust is going to continue that theme. People are going to ask themselves; will I get £20 out of my pocket and go to Edgbaston this evening. Yesterday's 'spectacle' may provide the answer?

By the way..... The ECB need to look at the state of pitches for this competition. Some clubs are taking the p1$$.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Warleybear's post:
bear4life
235 balls in Glam V Warwicks game last night.

203 were dots or singles.

And Glam captain - loyally - says he thought it was a good pitch and a good game. I thought it was dreadful "entertainment" TBH - Waggy on the mike was the highlight.

We can talk about second O/S players as much as we want but a young Brian Lara on acid wouldn't have made that game watchable on that pudding.

By the look of it not many bother to turn up to watch Glamorgan play T20. I have an idea why.
Supporter of the 2014 County Champions
[-] The following 3 users Like Kim's post:
Leicester Exile, Redditchbear, Warleybear
Good point Kim.

Poor pitches have been a reacuring theme over the last few seasons. Is anyone in the powers that be concerned? Are there any plans to sort it out?
Marcus North blamed the state of the pitch on the number of Champions Trophy games played recently, presumably because there are only a few pitches in the right place for the cameras.
I'm not sure I buy that. There's surely enough time between games for the groundsman to get to work.
By the way, nice to see Nick James getting a game, as well as Waggy who seems to be, well, a bit of a wag.