Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KP
No it was a great innings by Bairstow. He applied himself well and dealt with the short ball very well. I think he has a little chink in his technique though but his character is good. drs comes up with some strange results. A ball from steyn which hits Swann just above the knee-roll and he's not very far forward was projected to go over the stumps yet a ball from a bowler 1 foot taller hits Kallis in a similar position and its deemed to hit the top of the stumps. I'm not convinced with the projected path of the ball element of drs at all and can understand India's reluctance to use it.

(18-08-2012, 10:30 PM)Terry Wrote:
(18-08-2012, 09:00 PM)ddb Wrote: Bairstow's 95 was nowhere near KP's innings in the last test.

They didn't pick Bairstow because they thought he was better than KP. They decided to drop Pietersen and then picked the next best person - and he's done the team proud.

I was pointing out the stupidity that KP should find it hard to come back on the basis of quality.

I'm fed up with this whole thing really, I haven't seen many objective views, in fact none on here at all, which is a shame. There's actually no point debating him because so many have blinkered views on it.
Supporter of 2012 County Relegation candidates

Chill out ddb :001_tt2:

There is no question that KP should not be selected basis on ability. He's the best batsman by some distance. In fact if it was not for his innings in the 2nd test England would be 2-0 down in the series.

All that will happen out of this is KP gets filthy rich in India, England move to No.2 as they would have done with KP anyway and move on, encouraging their team clique. Everyone else misses out on KP in tests.

Yes this test could still go either way. I think South Africa have been strengthened by Boucher missing. AB has done a fine job behind the stumps and Duminy is a far better batsman than Boucher. England still have the Indian tour of course. To go there without KP will make it doubly difficult to get a result.

Yeah but both our batting line ups will have really inexperienced players but we'll have more along with a bad bowling attack. But then not lost a series at home since 2004. I'm not sure.

Our line up will be: Sehwag Gambhir Pujara/Kohli Sachin Pujara/Kohli Raina Dhoni

That's not a bad batting line-up. Sri Lanka had a sugar attack but we still had problems against them and if it wasn't for KP.......

3 unknowns, two openers who've failed for the past 1/2 years, Dhoni and Sachin. But it is good for the future and looking towards the SA tour in 2013. All forced though through Dravid/VVS retiring. Bet if they hadn't we'd have the same team that lost 8-0. Sachin's outplayed 2 generations and might be a third if Sehwag/Zak retire soon.

Yes it had to happen. Kohli is potentially world class isn't he? England will have some decisions to make soon. Strauss is getting no younger. Also hate to say it but in the last 18 months Trott has only averaged low 30s. Always going to happen i guess

Trott's started to be a lot more loose, gets starts but rarely has converted. Hopefully just a bad patch.

Kohli and Pujara I'd say yeah potentially. With Rahane, Rohit, Raina, Mukund, Tiwary, Mandeep Singh and Chand(in the U19's at the moment*) as well there isn't a lack of options but it's just that they need to succeed pretty quickly and there's a doubt some with fulfil the hype.

* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAqTO7qM9VM

Actually I think its more mid 30s. Poor series in Pakistan but did better in Sri Lanka and averaging 38 in this series. Yes needs to get the concentration back.

(18-08-2012, 11:39 PM)ddb Wrote:
(18-08-2012, 10:30 PM)Terry Wrote:
(18-08-2012, 09:00 PM)ddb Wrote: Bairstow's 95 was nowhere near KP's innings in the last test.

They didn't pick Bairstow because they thought he was better than KP. They decided to drop Pietersen and then picked the next best person - and he's done the team proud.

I was pointing out the stupidity that KP should find it hard to come back on the basis of quality.

I'm fed up with this whole thing really, I haven't seen many objective views, in fact none on here at all, which is a shame. There's actually no point debating him because so many have blinkered views on it.

ddb - I understand the point you were making. I'm not sure what would qualify as an objective view of KP, other than just stating facts, which most people know. The interesting bits of any discussion forum are the opinions, which are by definition subjective.
Unless, of course, by "objective" you mean opinions that are the same as your own! We are all guilty of thinking like that from time to time, as in "I am objective, you are opinionated and wrong and that other fellow is a prejudiced idiot."

Views on here are my own; but you can keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
I am not saying I disagree with ddb but if I agreed with him we would both be wrong!!!
LE - aka John
The lad was out first ball for Surrey today. Bowled by a slow left armer.
A good ball to get first off

Just ask yourselves, how would you deal with the situation of an employee making derogatory comments about your company and management to representatives of an other company? Especially as many, if not most, employment contracts now contain clauses the making of comments about the company through whatever medium, be it text, blog, facebook or twitter. Especially when the employee has a poor disciplinary record and is 'High Maintenance'.

Yes there's no question they made the right decision but its the argument that he should be left out based on ability that ddb is riled with.

Anyway can even the biggest optimist amongst us see England winning tomorrow. Its a good wicket still and they could bat out the day but if they have to take risks to up the scoring rate then that's when the wickets will tumble.

Have to say I think this is the best South African team that has ever toured England. Donald, Pollock and Ntini were a great seam unit but the one they have now is better imo. There batting is stronger than that team as well.

If I were to state my own views on the subjects that have been aired & discussed within this thread I would be banned for life.

So all I will say is good riddance!

ALWAYS A BEAR
[-] The following 1 user Likes Redditchbear's post:
Leicester Exile
I don't think dropping him for the text alone is right(which is reasons that the ECB gave). Other things, I can see the point but also think the ECB handled this pretty poorly and it's funny their role isn't being questioned because KP is unique but isn't the only ego in that dressing room, probably not even the biggest, see Brearley's sly mention of Swann in his piece.

Let's say if KP had got an Indian visa instead 7/8 years ago, I wouldn't have been in favour of dropping him but then I've never had such strong dislike for an Indian player for his attitude as some England fans do for KP so I dunno.

Yes if had come clean on the content of the texts they wouldn't have dropped him. The fact that he didn't was an admission of guilt so I think they were right to leave him out.