Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KP
Remember the ECB HR department will be involved, & the HR department that has ever done anything useful has not yet been created!
(12-08-2012, 03:05 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: The change of mind would have nothing to do with realising he will quickly drop out of the limelight with the resulting loss of income. I wonder if the companies whose products he promotes had anything to do with it - or is that me just being cynical!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now if Bairstow gets a ton and we beat SA will KP find it difficult to get back in - I DO hope so.

I think Bairstow is a bad pick. He was found out against the Windies and the South African seamers are far better. The only people that should be delighted that KP has been left out are the South African cricket team and supporters. I think we have zero chance of squaring the series now.

I agree about Bairstow. I would have had Taylor in for the 3 West Indies tests and if the selectors had done so I think we'd be saying what a good number 5 we have now.

If we're going to play a sixth batsman I'd have gone for Compton (who is ruled out due to injury) or Morgan. I know the latter seems to be pigeonholed as a one-day player (a la Nick Knight) but he's Ok against pace- he just couldn't cope with mystery spinners on slow turners (and he wasn't unique in that).

Having said that I think they'll go for broke and pick five bowlers and Bairstow and Onions will be carrying the drinks.
If they are going with Bairstow why not pick Woakes, it gives them the bowling option as well. I'm afraid Morgan has not scored sufficient runs in first class cricket to merit a recall.

They are too stubborn to change the makeup of the team. If they had of wanted to go with 5 bowlers they would have picked Woakes wouldn't they?

[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul's post:
Jane
I suggest that you listen to tonight's Tufnall & Vaughan cricket show on Iplayer.

Piers Morgan totally embarrassed himself with his sycophantic attempts to defend KP (aka FIJAM).

It was so bad it was very amusing!

(deep apologies to those of you who don't listen to the BBC) :-)
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Good Mugabe's post:
hhbear
You don't need a tv license to listen to recorded programmes on iplayer so that's fine Mugabe

Or to listen to the radio actually

It's well worth a listen, in the Sam Fox/Mick fleetwood style of car crash radio
Interesting article on the situation, from a writer that is close to KP

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket...-over.html
An excellent article and I agree with you Mugabe that the ecb made the only decision they could. You cant have players undermining the rest of the team.

Paul

Thanks. Very pleased we agree on something, makes a very pleasant change :-)

It will be a long hard way back for KP, with joys & sorrows too, but he might find the joy he's looking for at the end of the road.

(apologies to Harry Lauder for mangling his wonderful, and very moving lyrics)

(14-08-2012, 04:35 PM)Mugabe Wrote: Paul

Thanks. Very pleased we agree on something, makes a very pleasant change :-)

It will be a long hard way back for KP, with joys & sorrows too, but he might find the joy he's looking for at the end of the road.

(apologies to Harry Lauder for mangling his wonderful, and very moving lyrics)

That kilt suits you.
Views on here are my own; but you can keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
I'm told I've got wonderful legs :-)

I'm sure I've even agreed with you occasionally.

People must remember that while "Robert" is a bit of a bad case, not all Mugabe's are Robert

I'm sure Gemma will explain that to you as she seemed to develop a deep interest in the subject :-)
(14-08-2012, 04:53 PM)Mugabe Wrote: I'm told I've got wonderful legs :-)

I'm sure I've even agreed with you occasionally.

People must remember that while "Robert" is a bit of a bad case, not all Mugabe's are Robert

I'm sure Gemma will explain that to you as she seemed to develop a deep interest in the subject :-)
Indeed - and Mugabe backwards is e - ba - gum
Views on here are my own; but you can keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
To bring things back on topic, I’m frankly sick to death of the whole thing.

In a summer where cricket’s had to fight it’s corner for exposure, this self-obsessed clown has succeeded in overshadowing 3 years of unprecedented success with his egotistical posturing.

I care not a jot for his previous performances or what he may give us in the future.

In the England set-up it’s been made quite clear that individuals, no matter how individually brilliant they might be, have to accept they have a duty to buy into the team ethic. That's what has brought success.

He has p***ed all over this setting his own parameters, making his own demands and riling the very people he needs to keep onside. I know he’s getting dodgy advice and he’s probably not the sharpest tool in the box but surely to god he can see that this level of petulance will only be tolerated for so long?

Sorry Paul (bb) but I can’t believe you’d have put up with this in any Bears dressing room you were in. I know your era contained a few maverick talents but when push came to shove the crap stayed in the dressing room and most of it only came out when the players involved wrote their autobiographies.

I read today that he’s now issued a full apology and discussions with the management are ongoing. Presumably this is so he can salvage a place for himself in the T20 squad. I’m also guessing that he’s realised that a premature departure from international cricket might actually harm his marketability - the £1.5m he makes from the IPL aside.

I also find it particularly galling that the international players from this club who quietly and modestly go about their business, and are a credit to county and country, are being subjected to this rubbish day in day out.
[-] The following 4 users Like DaveC's post:
Exiled Bear, Mad Brummie, Paul, Redditchbear
(15-08-2012, 10:25 AM)DaveC Wrote: To bring things back on topic, I’m frankly sick to death of the whole thing.

In a summer where cricket’s had to fight it’s corner for exposure, this self-obsessed clown has succeeded in overshadowing 3 years of unprecedented success with his egotistical posturing.

I care not a jot for his previous performances or what he may give us in the future.

In the England set-up it’s been made quite clear that individuals, no matter how individually brilliant they might be, have to accept they have a duty to buy into the team ethic. That's what has brought success.

He has p***ed all over this setting his own parameters, making his own demands and riling the very people he needs to keep onside. I know he’s getting dodgy advice and he’s probably not the sharpest tool in the box but surely to god he can see that this level of petulance will only be tolerated for so long?

Sorry Paul (bb) but I can’t believe you’d have put up with this in any Bears dressing room you were in. I know your era contained a few maverick talents but when push came to shove the rubbish stayed in the dressing room and most of it only came out when the players involved wrote their autobiographies.

I read today that he’s now issued a full apology and discussions with the management are ongoing. Presumably this is so he can salvage a place for himself in the T20 squad. I’m also guessing that he’s realised that a premature departure from international cricket might actually harm his marketability - the £1.5m he makes from the IPL aside.

I also find it particularly galling that the international players from this club who quietly and modestly go about their business, and are a credit to county and country, are being subjected to this rubbish day in day out.

Well said.... I know one of the guys who provides his equipment - he doesn't have a good word to say about him, completely at odds with his experience of others in the same dressing room...

Best without him....
[-] The following 1 user Likes Will the Bear's post:
Paul
(12-08-2012, 03:05 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: The change of mind would have nothing to do with realising he will quickly drop out of the limelight with the resulting loss of income. I wonder if the companies whose products he promotes had anything to do with it - or is that me just being cynical!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now if Bairstow gets a ton and we beat SA will KP find it difficult to get back in - I DO hope so.

As I was saying - how can you drop a guy who gets 95, under extreme pressue, against probably the best attack outside England?
LE - aka John
No they would drop Taylor. Best bowling attack LE, at least the best seam attack. Terrific test match.

Bairstow's 95 was nowhere near KP's innings in the last test.
Supporter of 2012 County Relegation candidates

And all his other innings ?

And I bet he didn't disrupt the dressing room
LE - aka John
(18-08-2012, 09:00 PM)ddb Wrote: Bairstow's 95 was nowhere near KP's innings in the last test.

They didn't pick Bairstow because they thought he was better than KP. They decided to drop Pietersen and then picked the next best person - and he's done the team proud.
As for KP, Michael Brearley, as you might expect, has some sensible things to say:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/201...orst-enemy?