Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barker signs
Whoopdee doo.

And Ashley says he wont rule out signing one Kolpak player.

"Giles admits that the lack of batting cover “is a concern” and remains on the search for further recruits. Indeed, such is the concern, that the club will consider a batsman as overseas player next season.

I’ve never ruled out playing one Kolpak signing and one overseas player, either,” Giles says."
Supporter of the 2014 County Champions
Kim-

I think the lad is an excellent future prospect and i have Giles referring to him as a Neil Carter type All-rounder. I think he might become a genuine all rounder rather then a bowler who can blast and blitz himself to the occasional good inning and his bowling will improve under the guidance of Allan Donald and hopefully he could turn into a Dougie Brown type All-rounder.
Thers a little feature on Barker in this months' Wisden Cricketer. Recoomemended to us by Bumble apparently. Article says if he plays in the first team he will follow Stuart Hole as the only players to have played pro footy/cricket since Phil Neale since 1992**.

Wisden also mention Salisbury unsuccessfully applied to be the ECBs spin bowling coach. Lucky for us.
-Kim-

Are you sure that he would be the first to have played pro football and cricket as i believe that Chris Woakes had actually played football for Walsall but decided that his best chances of making it was in cricket.

Intriqued to find out that Salisbury applied for the job which probably indicates that he is thinking of his retirement in the next year or so. I hope he can find a role in the current Warwickshire set up as he been brilliant to the club since he has been here and would be an excellent coach to a coaching team that is developing into an excellent group of leaders.
Maybe the article meant first team football? Im not sure - but even then Im not sure its right because ex Glamorgan and Sussex player, Tony Cottey, played a few games in Swansea City's first team.

Agree 100% about Salisbury - a breath of fresh air in every way.
Yes I totally agree with you Coltrane, he has been brilliant for us. If he does retire at the end of the season then we'll miss his bowling. Botha hasn't taken many championship wickets since early season.
Paul Wrote:Yes I totally agree with you Coltrane, he has been brilliant for us. If he does retire at the end of the season then we'll miss his bowling. Botha hasn't taken many championship wickets since early season.

He just needs to sharpen up his fitness levels, Barker that is not Ian.
Paul Wrote:Yes I totally agree with you Coltrane, he has been brilliant for us. If he does retire at the end of the season then we'll miss his bowling. Botha hasn't taken many championship wickets since early season.

He just needs to sharpen up his fitness levels,Barker not Ian
I think the article may have made mistake about the football/cricket comment but in terms of Barker i havent actually seen him play much but his performances looked good on the scoreboard and Giles and Donald though enough of him to offer him a contract very quickly. Interesting comment from Jane about his Fitness- maybe that is why Giles made the comparison between Barker and Carter so quickly.

I agree with Kim about us loosing a good wicket-taking spinner becuase even though Botha has had a good season in general wickets havent come regularly in the Championship so if Salisbury retires we need a quality spinner if we go up. How about the new sri lankan spin wizard that is Ajantha Mendis as an Overseas for next season. He certainly is mesmerizing but perhaps we would need our OSP spot for bigger requirement such as an experienced Seamer or middle order Batsman.