Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two on their way out?
At the risk of sounding cruel (and I don't mean to be,) at the moment Johnson isn't a good enough batsman to play in the first division.It's a tough league.
However experience in the second division would do him the world of good in both aspects of his game.
Who knows what might happen in the future? Good luck to him whichever way he chooses to go.

ALWAYS A BEAR
(30-07-2012, 10:37 PM)The Red Baron Wrote:
(30-07-2012, 01:13 PM)Paul Wrote: Yes never go back it rarely works - would have loved to have seen Mooen come back mind you but on the other hand his type of batting wouldn't it into our plans.

That and his off-spin? Personally I'd love to see him back. Could be just what we need.

His batting can't be any more hit-and-miss than Porterfield's, can it?
After talking to his dad last summer it seems unlikely that he will come back. Yes hes a better batsman than Porterfield and his offspin has come on a lot

(30-07-2012, 08:28 PM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: Saw Geraint drop two reasonably makeable catches at the Rose Bowl today. Cost Kent the game.

Billings was 12th man.

Thats the Juggler for you :thumbup:

Think the issue with Kent might be length of contract he is offered, if he gets one.
Supporter of the 2014 County Champions
The problem with Rankin is his fitness or lack of it, he is 28 and has played only 48 games to date. Woakes is 23 and has already played 61 up to the end of last season. When he is available he is a fine bowler but he breaks down too often. Johnson should be looking at playing first team cricket, Ambrose moved to Warwickshire because of limited opportunities and played Test cricket, he is only 30 which might mean Richard waiting anything up to 7 years which he wont do. Javid and Miller are another two who have played little or no first team cricket lately who may move on. Anyon, Richardson, Moeen, Groenewald, Daggett, James etc. have all had no problems finding other counties, it is commonplace now for players to move around more, which is good for them. Knight, Chopra, Clarke, to name only three have all been great signings, it is like football transfers now without the transfer fees.
[-] The following 1 user Likes parkfield bear's post:
Warleybear
Somerset interested in Rankin:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket...ankin.html
Views on here are my own; but you can keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
According to Paul Bolton, Richard Johnson has gone back to Derbyshire on loan and may make a permanent move; and Andy Miller, Ateeq Javid and Neil Carter may also be on their way out.
http://www.thecricketer.com/default.aspx...picid=8563
Views on here are my own; but you can keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
I presume, if Richard goes, we will have to sign a new keeper?

Geraint? :w00t:
As Tim's hip injury seems to keep flaring up & is unlikely to really improve, would it be worth considering for Tim's long term welfare to play him purely as a batsman, & one day keeper, with Richard keeping in the championship games?
I've said that before Mugabe. According to George this hip is not the one he had operated on. If Richard does go we need the understudy to be a young lad. No good having some 35 yr old as the understudy.

Whoever we have as back up needs to be able to come into the team and contribute. We should never be in the situation have having to use a club player like Stuart Eustace, a very good club player, but nowhere near first class standard.
(01-08-2012, 11:37 AM)Paul Wrote: I've said that before Mugabe. According to George this hip is not the one he had operated on. If Richard does go we need the understudy to be a young lad. No good having some 35 yr old as the understudy.

Who?

Unless we have one in our system (dont think we do), a young lad currently in a first team wont come. And a young lad with ambition wont come either to just be in Richatds position.

So that leaves you with an experienced keeper as just about your only choice.

We can always beg Tony Frost to come out of retirement again.

It's a pity we don't have someone (other than Tim) who can play as a batsman and keep when necessary, like Bairstow or Buttler. Or maybe even someone who can bowl too - where's A.C. Smith when we need him?
A random thought, how about signing the Young South African Quinton De Kok as an overseas player. He was the SA u19 keeper, opens the batting and has already scored list A hundreds.

Yes good point Terry. We have managed to attract young lads from other counties before. I can't remember the last time we have signed an experienced keeper as a reserve.

(01-08-2012, 12:20 PM)Paul Wrote: Yes good point Terry. We have managed to attract young lads from other counties before. I can't remember the last time we have signed an experienced keeper as a reserve.

When was the last time we signed any keeper from another county apart from Tim?

Richard has gone on loan to derby for the rest of the saeson.

Andy Hodd of Sussex might be a poss. They need to create room for Calum Jackson a very good keeper/bat
Barnes

Sam Billings of Kent?
(01-08-2012, 01:18 PM)Kim Wrote: Sam Billings of Kent?

Great if we could get him because he could play as a batsman if necessary and looks to be a class act.
I personally think Ambrose should be batting at 4 and Johnson should be keeping and batting at 8.

If Johnson leaves i really hope we dont settle for drafting random sorts like we have done in the past i.e Klokker, Eustace, Barnes.

Whoever signed those guys needs to have a look at themselves.