Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The weather thread
(20-07-2012, 12:44 AM)Mugabe Wrote: Related to cricketing finance, but from a very well respected motorsport blog

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2012/07/1.../#comments

It seems that players from one of the IPL teams were not paid for their work last season.

Yep sugar lucky he got close to Roy and his F1 team is all right as that would be bigger news. IPL is meh, they'll find a buyer.
Supporter of 2012 County Relegation candidates

Eventually companies that don't pay the bills find the suppliers stop supplying. That is very close to happening to Force India.
I have seriously lost any hope of any sustained nice weather this summer.

I am, however, bracing myself for an extraordinary Indian summer that will probably start just before tea on the last day of the County Championship and then end, and give way to an almighty downpour, just as I am preparing to go trick or treating with the kids in late October!

We met with Povey but we did not eat the biscuits.
(20-07-2012, 01:00 AM)Thefacebookbear Wrote: I have seriously lost any hope of any sustained nice weather this summer.

I am, however, bracing myself for an extraordinary Indian summer that will probably start just before tea on the last day of the County Championship and then end, and give way to an almighty downpour, just as I am preparing to go trick or treating with the kids in late October!

I wouldn't give up hope just yet...
Proud to be a Bear
Another article, this one to do with arctic sea ice:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jul...ate-change

Yet more quotes from the UoR! :thumbup1:
Proud to be a Bear
Have you ever watched the Al Gore documentary. Released at the same time as that crap film "The day after tomorrow"

But for a few hanging chads, Gore would have been President. How different would the last dozen years have been?
I'm sure it would have been a lot better

I thought I'd resurrect this thread!

After the second coldest March on record, things finally seem to be warming up! The increasing occurrence of severe weather and climatic events such as these is quite concerning, especially for a sport such as cricket which is so heavily dependent on the weather. We had the second driest two year period between April 2010 and March 2012 since 1910, followed by the wettest summer for 100 years. I'm sure we'll see some sort of records broken this year as well.

We can surely hope for better cricketing weather than we had last year though!
Proud to be a Bear
Well resurrected!

We have already seen some strange weather this year. Severe snow in March must be a fairly rare occurrence!

Personally, although I am a firm believer in the dire consequences of climate change I realise that
such trends never follow a linear path.

So I would not be surprised if we have a nicer summer this year to offset some of the wetter summers we have had recentley!
I do think think the increase in co2 emissions is having an effect on weather patterns all around the world. It doesn't necessarily mean its going to be warmer here although he does mean will get more extreme weather. I think we had the hottest day on record in 2004 and the wettest April last year, the coldest march this year. Maybe we will get a really hot summer this year. How many of us could cope with 40 degrees lol
The record in 2004 was said to be the hottest for 400 years - so what was the cause then - bows and arrows?
There always have been extremes of weather - just think of the weather around d-day June 1944 or the Queen's coronation in 1953 - it is what happens in temperate regions. I remember around 1980 when snow brought down telephone and electricity lines around here at Easter.
10 years or so ago the experts informed us that temperatures are getting warmer. As this has not happened they now talk about climate change! Our climate has always been changing.
LE - aka John
I can't go into details but there is significant proof that the increase in co2 emissions is significantly changing the weather patterns. We may not see much difference in our life time but its going to happen. There always going to be doubters just as when Pythagoras or whoever was the first person to claim the world is round.
Whilst we may have seen cooler temperatures in the UK of late, the average global temperature has been steadily rising for some time now:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/image/...gtrend.gif

The effects of rising sea levels and changes to our atmosphere may mean that the UK could see cooler or wetter conditions, but the world as a whole will continue to warm unless carbon emissions are cut.
Proud to be a Bear
Quite right Exiled Bear, our planet as a whole temperature on average has risen by 1% in the last 100 years. Scientists predict that this could rise by up to 6% by the end of the century unless we dramatically cut our greenhouse gas emissions.

If this happens it doesn't bare thinking about. The rainforests would die, all polar ice would melt....

No Paul I don't think I could cope with 40 degree summers.

The long johns might have to go lol.

Sometimes watching cricket in hot weather can be worse than in the cold.

Sadly as tress die off and ice melts the warming gets even faster as plants consume co2 and ice
reflects some of the heat from the sun!
(24-04-2013, 09:12 PM)Thefacebookbear Wrote: No Paul I don't think I could cope with 40 degree summers.

The long johns might have to go lol.

Sometimes watching cricket in hot weather can be worse than in the cold.

Sadly as tress die off and ice melts the warming gets even faster as plants consume co2 and ice
reflects some of the heat from the sun!

A classic example of positive feedback!

I couldn't cope with 40 degree summers either, I find 30 degrees too hot! 25 is the max I like it to go, any hotter and you sweat even just sitting around doing nothing.
Proud to be a Bear
I went on holiday to Cuba when it was 35 degrees. Hot stuff! (It was July so humid too!)

Hard to walk more than 5 mins in those conditions!
120 F in Phoenix for me. Your shoes would melt on the floor. Also it was very hot in Vegas when i was there one summer. Wasn't the time to be trying on leather jackets but that what i was doing lol. Used to think the hotter the better but not so sure now. Certainly prefer heat to cold.
120 F in Phoenix for me. Your shoes would melt on the floor. Also it was very hot in Vegas when i was there one summer. Wasn't the time to be trying on leather jackets but that what i was doing lol. Used to think the hotter the better but not so sure now. Certainly prefer heat to cold.