Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
William Porterfield
In the current ICL final, the icc's four day competition for associate members, Ireland have collapsed, with Porterfield scoring a magnificent total of one.

If he's going to make the contribution he is been paid for this season, he should concentrate on working on his technique for the four day game, after all, Warwickshire are his main employer, not Ireland.
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
He could follow the example of Trevor Penney who, if memory serves, passed up the chance to play for Zimbabwe in order to retain his county qualification.

Good man, TP.
[-] The following 1 user Likes GrizzlyBear's post:
The Good Mugabe
(10-12-2013, 09:25 AM)The Good Mugabe Wrote: In the current ICL final, the icc's four day competition for associate members, Ireland have collapsed, with Porterfield scoring a magnificent total of one.

If he's going to make the contribution he is been paid for this season, he should concentrate on working on his technique for the four day game, after all, Warwickshire are his main employer, not Ireland.

Its reactive to judge him on one innings. Lets see what he does in the 2nd innings
(10-12-2013, 10:23 AM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: He could follow the example of Trevor Penney who, if memory serves, passed up the chance to play for Zimbabwe in order to retain his county qualification.

Good man, TP.

Don't think Trevor had a choice TBF as playing for Zimbabwe would have made him an overseas player.
Supporter of the 2014 County Champions
Its such a difficult thing for Porterfield. He obviously is very proud to play for his Country and to give that up must be very difficult for him. We can claim we pay his wages but we don't know the type of contract he is on! and he must get paid by Ireland too. What happens if he gives up Ireland then gets left out of the Warwickshire side. He's left playing 2nd eleven cricket. Just looking at things from his perspective rather than ours. I wish him all the best for next season because he's obviously a very popular player and its a credit to him that he's a proud Irishman who wants to play for his country.
[-] The following 2 users Like Paul's post:
Kim, Thefacebookbear
Paul, surely the emphasis on on him to do what is required to allow him to make a positive contribution to his employers side?

His performance in the four day game for Warwickshire has never matched what is required from someone who should be considered to be a senior player in the side. Like any player, if he fails to perform in the first team he has to accept that his place is at risk and that if dropped he will have to score runs at second team level to get back into the first team.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
(10-12-2013, 12:58 PM)The Good Mugabe Wrote: Paul, surely the emphasis on on him to do what is required to allow him to make a positive contribution to his employers side?

His performance in the four day game for Warwickshire has never matched what is required from someone who should be considered to be a senior player in the side. Like any player, if he fails to perform in the first team he has to accept that his place is at risk and that if dropped he will have to score runs at second team level to get back into the first team.

I'm just happy with my first ever like from Kim, Mugabe, so i'm sticking not twisting. :thumbup:
[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul's post:
Redditchbear
33 2nd innings. An improvement Mugabe.
Yes, but still not the score he should be happy with.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
Low scoring game that innings could be the difference lol

One would think Bears CC first choice top five next season could be...

Chopra / Westwood / Jim / Evans / Javid

If Will P was to be selected they could consider re-inventing him as a middle order player, away from the new ball and fresh fast bowlers??
To be fair Paul is spot on.

If all the Warwickshire squad are fit Porterfield could be spending a lot of time in the 2nds this season - especially if Trotty has an extended break from the England team.

Why give up a (usually) successful career as Ireland captain for that?
We met with Povey but we did not eat the biscuits.
Good points, but if he's not making the commitment to Warwickshire, he will have to accept that there are other batsmen who may well deserve the opportunity if/when there is a need for a new batsman in the first team.

There are GOOD Mugabe's
Porterfield must be the international captain of the year, having led Ireland to victory in tournaments in all three formats:
http://www.khaama.com/ireland-beat-afgha...l-cup-2615
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Bears' captain in waiting?
Surely the captain needs to be sure of his place in the team in ALL forms of the game?

There are GOOD Mugabe's
I think Andrew is being a bit mischievous Blush
To be very serious, who do people here see as future Warwickshire captains within the current squad.

Obviously Varun is the official vice captain, but I can also see Ian Bell taking charge after his test days.

The ecb see leadership potential in Chris Woakes and among the younger players Paul Best has had a lot of experience leading the second team and Cambridge.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
When Jim calls it a day I would like to see Chris Woakes get the job myself. Of course with Ashley taking over from Flower eventually he could well be seen as the batting allrounder for England. No reason why both Woakes and Stokes cant be in the same side. Bell bats at 6 and Stokes replaces Bresnan. Ian Bell would be a great captain but he may still captain the England team yet. It probably still has 5 years left playing for England. Paul Best yes but thats a long way off i feel.
I was a bit surprised by the decision to make Woakes Captain being as Chopra was his County captain for a large part of last season and he is also in the squad.Even more surprised as James Taylor has also led the side previously.Decent squad though it has to be said.

ALWAYS A BEAR