Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
William Porterfield
With an average of 20.9 in the championship over the last few years, I cannot remember another player being so fortunate to still have a contract. I guess the success of the side in the previous two years has kept attention away from him. If we'd have struggled he wouldn't have lasted as long.
to be fair his poor form has taken the heat off a couple of other top order left handers who one could argue are struggling these days.
(22-10-2013, 08:16 PM)andrew Wrote: to be fair his poor form has taken the heat off a couple of other top order left handers who one could argue are struggling these days.
and who might they be Andrew :cursing:

He's in form for Ireland:
http://www.sportinglife.com/cricket/news...5/9022398/-
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
I'm not sure his concentration on short form cricket with Ireland, mostly against part time opposition, actually improves his ability to contribute in Championship cricket.
I'd be looking for a much bigger and more consistent contribution from him next season if he is to retain his place in e championship side.
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc-world-tw...60153.html

What is going on why doesn't he do this for us in t20?
One thing that came out of reading BTB was just how deep the respect is at the club for William Porterfield - and the genuine belief that he will turn it round.

I'm sticking with my view on him - he'll be fine. Also think that last year looked worse for him because all the injuries meant he couldn't get a break however poor his form was.
Supporter of the 2014 County Champions
it is very very rare for players to improve at his age, and after 3 seasons with us of declining results, it is probably not unfair to say his decline is probably terminal.

If he doesn't provide acceptable results in the first few championship games I'd be strongly in favour of allowing the younger players a chance. Whilst they may not, initially, contribute more runs, they will improve given time and opportunities.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
If everyone's fit, he isn't going to get in the side. Last season, when we really needed him to score runs, he didn't do it. If he's chosen to spend this winter playing hit and giggle rather than working on his technique then I don't have any more sympathy for him.
Tough crowd! :thumbdown:

Think its harsh to expect Irelands captain to miss World cup qualifiers esp when they are working so hard to get an upgrade in status. But agree that it possibly doesn't help him for the longer game.
Its hard to combine both playing for Ireland and Warwickshire.
It's hard enough the club supporting the England side with two to four players let alone the B side and its crazy fixture selection. So, I'm afraid supporting Ireland, Scotland etc. is not on. Unsustainable IMHO and unfair on the club and its supporters. Mr Porterfield may, and hopefully will, come good. But he needs to focus on his county for now. They pay his wage and have stood by him during a very lean spell. May sound harsh, but Ireland's status or World Cup trip / holiday should be of no concern of our club. We need to be fielding the strongest side possible after England A selections. We aren't / mustn't be a 'charity'.
The ICC has very clearly defined criteria for countries wishing to gain test match status, key amongst the criteria is that there is a domestic first class competition. something they ignored when they prematurely granted test status to Bangladesh, and something that does not exist in Ireland.

As for Porterfield, for all his qualities as a person, he has not in his three seasons with the club justified his place in the championship side, or indeed his high salary. Unless he is prepared to commit full time to working on his game so that he makes a significant and consistent contribution with the bat in championship games, it is time to move on and use the financial resources spent on him elsewhere.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Good Mugabe's post:
Warleybear
(21-11-2013, 07:08 AM)The Good Mugabe Wrote: The ICC has very clearly defined criteria for countries wishing to gain test match status, key amongst the criteria is that there is a domestic first class competition. something they ignored when they prematurely granted test status to Bangladesh, and something that does not exist in Ireland.
As for Porterfield, for all his qualities as a person, he has not in his three seasons with the club justified his place in the championship side, or indeed his high salary. Unless he is prepared to commit full time to working on his game so that he makes a significant and consistent contribution with the bat in championship games, it is time to move on and use the financial resources spent on him elsewhere.

Think it will by 2015. Have to say I think the case for Ireland "moving up" is overstated
(21-11-2013, 06:53 PM)Kim Wrote:
(21-11-2013, 07:08 AM)The Good Mugabe Wrote: The ICC has very clearly defined criteria for countries wishing to gain test match status, key amongst the criteria is that there is a domestic first class competition. something they ignored when they prematurely granted test status to Bangladesh, and something that does not exist in Ireland.

Think it will by 2015. Have to say I think the case for Ireland "moving up" is overstated

It might not be if England didn't keep pinching their best players.

Second division test cricket. Zimbabwe, Bangladesh, Ireland and two others (Eg. NZ, WI etc - or another developing nation).

It is not for Warwickshire to support another countries International side IMHO.
What are the chances of finding an EU qualification for one or two of the Afghan national side? They seem to be a good bit better than Ireland.

Romanian passports?
Assuming Ireland qualify, William will be spending time pre-season in Bangladesh for the World T20. That should be a good preparation for Friday nights next season but may not help if he finds himself playing, say, in an early season Championship game at Durham.
(22-11-2013, 10:11 AM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: What are the chances of finding an EU qualification for one or two of the Afghan national side? They seem to be a good bit better than Ireland.

Romanian passports?

I was in London yesterday and it was noticeable that coaches from Sofia and Bucharest were already arriving in frequent numbers.... (thought that wasn't going to happen?). So perhaps it's a good idea. After last night... It might help England too? :thumbup:
(23-11-2013, 10:30 AM)Warleybear Wrote:
(22-11-2013, 10:11 AM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: What are the chances of finding an EU qualification for one or two of the Afghan national side? They seem to be a good bit better than Ireland.

Romanian passports?

I was in London yesterday and it was noticeable that coaches from Sofia and Bucharest were already arriving in frequent numbers.... (thought that wasn't going to happen?). So perhaps it's a good idea. After last night... It might help England too? :thumbup:

Cricket coaches?