Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
William Porterfield
I posted elsewhere they don't do history - seems they don't do present either
LE - aka John
Is it that they cant deal with personalities? i.e. Cant cope with TOM Cartwright, cant praisse WM Porterfield, cant name the MJK Smith stand? Should the hierarchy of the Club feature on the autistic spectrum? Personality defect?

Warwickshire Bears - County Champions 2012:thumbup:

Leicester Tigers - THE team:thumbup:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/21431213

signs a two year deal.
a few more runs would be nice.
Struggling again isn't he??
(18-05-2013, 06:44 PM)andrew Wrote: Struggling again isn't he??

Hmm, its more noticeable when the rest of the team are struggling
[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul's post:
Jane
When we signed Porterfield his record with Gloucestershire wasn't that good so it was a abit of a surprise. Then again the records of Clarke, Wright, Chopra and Rankin were not that good but Will just seems to be going nowhere. It must be lack of concentration because he makes so many starts and then plays a reckless shot. He did the same thing on Wednesday, got himself in then cut straight to point with a feeble shot.
Still think he will come good.

I wonder if the fact that his international cricket is limited-overs affects him in the longer game? The first time I saw him he got an effective, very slow 50 against us at Gloucester in the CC (Westy later got an even slower one - it wasn't my favourite game); he looked immovable but now he's a bit more expansive but less solid.
Supporter of the 2014 County Champions
Not wanting to be overly critical, but at his age & level of experience, is it realistic to expect his record to significantly improve?
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
But he was a late starter I think - approaching 24 when first played in the CC.
But he was a late starter I think - approaching 24 when first played in the CC.
think has first class ave is a smidge under 30 and he will turn 29 this season so hope he comes good. quickly!!!!

Brian Halford homes in on the William Porterfield enigma:
http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/cr...nd-6196243
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
interesting.

i figured when we signed him he was lined up as next bears' captain after jim had enough, and if he comes good that could still happen.

"Towards the end of the 2012 season Giles pinpointed, as a winter objective, working long and hard with Porterfield in the Indoor Centre at Edgbaston to sort out his batting – much as he sorted out Jonathan Trott’s in 2007/08 after Trott ended the 2007 season with 396 championship runs at 19.80."

Yes but 2007 was probably the only season Trott didn't manage 1000+ runs for us prior to him being up to 2010 when he was an England regular.
"Towards the end of the 2012 season Giles pinpointed, as a winter objective, working long and hard with Porterfield in the Indoor Centre at Edgbaston to sort out his batting – much as he sorted out Jonathan Trott’s in 2007/08 after Trott ended the 2007 season with 396 championship runs at 19.80."

Yes but 2007 was probably the only season Trott didn't manage 1000+ runs for us up to 2010 when he was an England regular.
Porterfield has never managed to score the runs required of a top order batsman. I hope he proves me wrong but i have my doubts whether he ever will. He is a useful one day batsman and an outstanding fielder as well as someone who gets on with everybody, sadly cricket success or failure is easy to measure and Porterfield has had three successive seasons of failure. Dougie needs to find fresh blood from somewhere.
[-] The following 1 user Likes parkfield bear's post:
Paul
It's unlikely that considering his age, and the time demands of playing for Ireland, in mainly shorter forms of the game, that he's ever likely to successfully deal with the technical issues that prevent him been a success in the four day game.

I'd start next season by giving the younger players a chance in the championship side, until Porterfield has shown, by the volume & quality of runs, that he deserves a place in the first team.
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
If everybody's fit and available, next season's top order reads Chopra, Westwood, Evans, Javid, Troughton, Woakes. Not only Porterfield needs to step up: Jim's position is looking shaky.
(18-10-2013, 07:45 AM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: If everybody's fit and available, next season's top order reads Chopra, Westwood, Evans, Javid, Troughton, Woakes. Not only Porterfield needs to step up: Jim's position is looking shaky.

True, the emergence of Evans and Javid this season have really put a cat amongst the proverbial pigeons.

Porterfield failed to rise to the challenge of them and was subsequently dropped, you have to say all in the top order need to score runs as their places are up for grabs, Chopra aside really.

If we added a quality opener I'd be content enough with it and look to improve the one day setup from there.
Paul fondled my onion bags.
With an average of 20.9 in the championship over the last three years, I cannot remember another player being so fortunate to still have a contract. I guess the success of the side in the previous two years has kept attention away from him. If we'd have struggled he wouldn't have lasted as long.

Luke Parker averaged more than that and he was in and out of the side, never having a persistent run.