Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chris Woakes
Also dreadful to boo Michael Clarke at the end. Morons. Probably the type of drunks I was surrounded by at Old Trafford. Never see them at a county game thank god.....
I agree. Clarke turned what could have been another boring day into a thriller.
Yes, I suffered at Old Trafford too. The average concentration span of very many Test match spectators is about ten minutes before it's time to:
  • Get up and go for a beer
  • Come back and disturb everyone while trying to find their seat
  • Get up to go to the toilet
  • Come back and disturb everyone as above
  • Get up to create a beer snake
That's why I go to very few Tests these days.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
[-] The following 1 user Likes Terry's post:
stingray
I do agree.... But if people are sitting there all day... The game bubbles up to a fantastic finish... The fielders can see the ball and wickets well enough to run bell out... And then the umpires walk off.... To be fair, they may get slightly emotional. The true villains (the ICC) were in the VIP area or at home in their mansions.
Yes but there's no reason for bad manners and lack of respect for other people. A lot of it is beer induced of course. Maybe a total ban on alcohol in grounds is the answer.

(26-08-2013, 11:01 AM)Paul Wrote: Yes but there's no reason for bad manners and lack of respect for other people. A lot of it is beer induced of course. Maybe a total ban on alcohol in grounds is the answer.

You're absolutely right Paul. Too many times I've sat at cricket & seen pleasant enough people turn into boorish thugs after a day's drinking. No excuse. An Aussie told me that it is common practice at grounds there to stop serving alcohol for a couple of hours to give everyone a break. Seems sensible to me.
Yes alchohol is the main cause of a lot of problems in our country. When I lived in Utah, which is a dry state there was no vandalism, little crime. Public toilets in parks were open all night and were never vandalised. This country must have one of the biggest alcohol problems and its a great drain on the nhs.

Sorry I know I must sound like a hypocrite because I have drunk occasionally but I also am aware of the problems it caused me in my youth.

The booing at the end (frustration) and appalling behavior throughout the day are not necessarily the same thing. I thought the reason that bringing your own alcohol in was stoped, was aledgadley so the bars could be closed for a period if needed. I have suffered at the brunt of being pushed into the EH stand for an ashes game when those with half year season tickets were showered with tickets for the members areas. I am fairly broad minded... But be sprayed in Alcohol did not work for me. Alcohol is yet further profit on a £60 to £80 ticket. For that reason, the sensible suggestion of closing bars for a short period or having more alcohol free areas won't happen.
(26-08-2013, 11:35 AM)Warleybear Wrote: The booing at the end (frustration) and appalling behavior throughout the day are not necessarily the same thing. I thought the reason that bringing your own alcohol in was stoped, was aledgadley so the bars could be closed for a period if needed. I have suffered at the brunt of being pushed into the EH stand for an ashes game when those with half year season tickets were showered with tickets for the members areas. I am fairly broad minded... But be sprayed in Alcohol did not work for me. Alcohol is yet further profit on a £60 to £80 ticket. For that reason, the sensible suggestion of closing bars for a short period or having more alcohol free areas won't happen.

Yes unfortunately that's all true and its the reason the govt wont restrict the sales of it in supermarkets. Drinking should be restricted to public bars in my opinion.

While I sympathise with your view, Paul, it is the same old story that the person who just wants a couple of beers or a drop of wine is the one who is penalised. If authority/grounds were serious they would a) make sure no-one entered the ground with more than 2 pints of beer or a bottle of wine and b) sold no alcohol themselves in the ground.

Although it would immediately stop drunken behaviour we all know that, for obvious reasons it ain't going to happen.
LE - aka John
[-] The following 1 user Likes Leicester Exile's post:
Redditchbear
Chris Woakes to play a couple of games in the Big Bash for Sydney Thunder:
http://www.edgbaston.com/1609/woakes-to-...eague.html
Birmingham Thunder - that has a certain ap-peal.
Why not Birmingham Tornado - might gather support from Sparkhill.
LE - aka John
2 matches??

by the time he gets going it'll be all over.

but a good experience for a fabulous talent.

Seems like he is standing in for Tillakaratne Dilshan.
Is that a 'like for like' replacement?

[-] The following 2 users Like andrew's post:
D K Lillee, Paul
(06-12-2013, 06:04 PM)andrew Wrote: Is that a 'like for like' replacement?

I'm sure Dilshan has long been known as the Sri Lankan Woakes.
and we have the woakesscoop!
As he's in Aus maybe they could draft him into the England side. Awful again!
he's only gone and signed for another two years with the bears!!

fabulous!!

he's not in England ODI or T20 squad

surprising!!
Both excellent pieces of news for Warwickshire.

Don't understand what England are up to though. Chris makes a perfectly respectable Test debut at the Oval then gets ditched from all forms of cricket. If there's a plan, I hope somebody's explained it all to him.
(12-12-2013, 09:07 AM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: Both excellent pieces of news for Warwickshire.

Don't understand what England are up to though. Chris makes a perfectly respectable Test debut at the Oval then gets ditched from all forms of cricket. If there's a plan, I hope somebody's explained it all to him.

They did a very similar thing with James Taylor after he made a decent debut against SA. Recent events have made me wonder whether the England management is losing its touch.

Anyway, we have a fantastic player signed up for two more years and potentially free from international committments. What's not to like from a Warwicks point of view?