Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chris Woakes
One thing though is Stokes in for his batting or bowling mainly.. Is Woakes a better bowler? I think so....Stokes maybe slightly quicker but Woakes does more with the ball.
I think Stokes is a better bowler than he is a batsman, but in both fields I, biased of course, but genuinely believe Chris is better in both aspects.
Paul fondled my onion bags.
(19-07-2014, 12:26 PM)Terry Wrote: According to Sky, Ben Stokes who is keeping Chris Woakes out of the England team has, since 24 January, faced 43 balls for England and been out nine times, averaging two.
It makes me want to punch a dressing room locker - but then again, that would be just silly.

Make that ten times. 14 balls in the match, no runs. To be fair, Stokes also took five wickets for 91 in the match.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Yes stokes is batting like a no. 11

Stokes is a bowler, he isn't an all rounder. The problem is, England need an all rounder, not just another bowler.

Though Woakes is looking rusty by all accounts today thanks to the ECB placing him on waterboy duties.
He is meant to be a batting allrounder Lilly but his form with the bat is so poor he can only be picked for his bowling...
Poor old Stefan hit wicket...
He has a first-class batting average of 34 with 9 centuries. He still only has one one-day century - 150 not out scored against us at Edgbaston in 2011 ! I remember it well, all the more because we went on to win the game.
"Look at the results. Look at the table. Everything else is just opinion"
Stokes is really a batsman who bowls much in the Flintoff mode but because his batting now looks so inept, he just looks like a bowler who is a real tailender. Now that Wright is out for the season are the selectors now going to say, "How about giving that waiter, sorry Woakes a go". Leave him alone, they didn't want him before, don't go and nick him from us now the options are running out.
Yes Kev his average was nearly 40 up until this season...They brought him back into the england side before he got runs for Durham. he was taking wickets but not scoring runs... He was touted as the no.6 but theres little chance of them dropping Moeen and promoting Stokes up the order now..
http://www1.skysports.com/cricket/news/12123/9449217/chris-woakes-awarded-england-increment-contract-for-2013-14
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Looks as though we will see even less of Chris Woakes now than we did before. Now that England are actually starting to play him after selecting him, we will miss him but Wright, Barker, Rankin, Clarke and at times Hannon-Dalby/Gordon doesn't sound too bad to me for pace bowlers as long as we can keep them fit - Ban them from playing those ridiculous Lions games.
Chris Woakes available for Tuesday's championship fixture
Feather in the cap of Chris Woakes in being asked to bowl the death over at MS Dhoni and succeed in keeping the score down.

Now, do England actually know what they want to do with Chris? In the Oval test last year he was picked to bat at six so presumably they were thinking of the all-rounder slot. That's now gone to Moeen/Stokes. In this summer's Tests it's looked like they see him as the successor to Jimmy Anderson as the primary swing bowler. Then we get the ODIs and he becomes a death bowler. Can he be all of those - technically or physically?

He'll spend the winter now practising slower ball bouncers and the like. Personally, I think that's a waste of his talents. I think they were right first time and he should be a Test all-rounder.
[-] The following 2 users Like GrizzlyBear's post:
Durhampeter, narsty simon
(06-09-2014, 09:17 PM)narsty simon Wrote: Chris Woakes available for Tuesday's championship fixture

I am sure I read somewhere that he is available for this one but not the final Championship fixture as they want their bowlers to have six weeks rest before the Sri Lanka tour.

He will be available for the One Day Cup final. As will Bell if he is injury free.
(06-09-2014, 09:17 PM)narsty simon Wrote: Chris Woakes available for Tuesday's championship fixture

I am sure I read somewhere that he is available for this one but not the final Championship fixture as they want their bowlers to have six weeks rest before the Sri Lanka tour.

He will be available for the One Day Cup final. As will Bell if he is injury free.
(08-09-2014, 07:27 AM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: Feather in the cap of Chris Woakes in being asked to bowl the death over at MS Dhoni and succeed in keeping the score down.

Now, do England actually know what they want to do with Chris? In the Oval test last year he was picked to bat at six so presumably they were thinking of the all-rounder slot. That's now gone to Moeen/Stokes. In this summer's Tests it's looked like they see him as the successor to Jimmy Anderson as the primary swing bowler. Then we get the ODIs and he becomes a death bowler. Can he be all of those - technically or physically?

He'll spend the winter now practising slower ball bouncers and the like. Personally, I think that's a waste of his talents. I think they were right first time and he should be a Test all-rounder.

I don't think he's a no.6 for England to be fair. You want a top order batsman who can also bowl. Mooen has nailed that spot as long as he can get get sufficient runs, but he has bags of ability to do that. Chris has done well for us with the bat but most of his runs have come lower down the order, at 7 or 8. Now he has gained pace, One ball he bowled was close to 90 mph yesterday if he can learn the skills off Anderson then I think he can be his replacement.
(08-09-2014, 11:26 AM)Paul Wrote:
(08-09-2014, 07:27 AM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: Feather in the cap of Chris Woakes in being asked to bowl the death over at MS Dhoni and succeed in keeping the score down.

I don't think he's a no.6 for England to be fair. You want a top order batsman who can also bowl. Mooen has nailed that spot as long as he can get get sufficient runs, but he has bags of ability to do that. Chris has done well for us with the bat but most of his runs have come lower down the order, at 7 or 8. Now he has gained pace, One ball he bowled was close to 90 mph yesterday if he can learn the skills off Anderson then I think he can be his replacement.
Apparently according to some idiot (Nick Hoult) writing in the Telegraph, our Chris is "one of the world's most unfashionable players". Really? What utter drivel some of these journalists (I use the term loosely) write. What exactly is that supposed to mean, and by whose standards?
Does he mean the clothes he wears?
LE - aka John
"The captain turned to Chris Woakes to deliver the final over and one of the world’s most unfashionable players proved too much for the game’s highest paid cricketer". Probably on about charisma I think but its a nasty piece of journalism..