Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cook
I know his record is fantastic but his performance this morning was not in the interest of the team. Totally selfish, other players have to come in and sacrifice their wickets because of his slow scoring.
Agree Paul. David Lloyd on sky was saying it as well.
Cook and Trott - I wont knock them. For years we've needed steady ships for the others to bat around. The look on Trotts face yesterday evening on the balcony some 40 minutes after he lost his wicket spoke volumes.............. he was still P1$$ed off at surrendering his wicket. It was important that we accelerated.......... but didnt just collapse. The pitch was too good on the fifth day to defend a total of say 230.
Trott is fine. His strike rate in the second innings was 77. I think Cook scored 11 runs in the second hour before lunch. We wern't in any danger of losing the game then so why didnt he kick on.
ODI captain :thumbup:
Supporter of 2012 County Relegation candidates

I don't always agree dd but i thought exactly the same thing.When he started to accelerate after he got his ton he looked a fish out of water :001_smile:
ALWAYS A BEAR
I said it all along, Bell should have been made ODI captain.

Look at how he scored today, he's god like :).
You ae all forgetting his major assett, he plays for Essex
It' Nord alto torvo di s.
spiega con la maggior parte yorkshiremen sono bastardi miseri

So how do you explain Bopara not getting picked?
I'm sorry, but I don't go along with all of this "the selectors are biased in favour of this county or that". It may have been true at one time;but I now think that they genuinely want to pick the best team and the best captain. They may not always get it right (time will show in the case of Cook) but that's a different argument.
The worst aspect of Cooks innings - and I reckon up till lunch he was playing to the team plan of making its safe - was the few balls after he got his 100 when he was trying to hit out. He looked clueless even though surely his eye was in?
Supporter of the 2014 County Champions
Yes and apparantly Priors anger was vented towards Cook as he had to sacrifice his wicket because Cook batted so slowly
probbaly also Matts last chance to show he could keep his on edya place as well - which would annoy him. Or hed just been told hed lost it
Surely that has already gone Kim. If we are going to open with Cook and have Trott at 3 then kieswetter will open with Cook.
(07-06-2011, 08:20 PM)Paul Wrote: Trott is fine. His strike rate in the second innings was 77. I think Cook scored 11 runs in the second hour before lunch. We wern't in any danger of losing the game then so why didnt he kick on.

I think we were in as much danger of loosing the game as wining the game. It just wasnt going to happen. Therefore a collapse by England was the only thing to avoid. Outside Cook and Trott it is / was for others to push on. Trott has often had the same critacism (although not in his last innings). May Trott and Cook bat on and on and on and Bell produce the 'lovely' cricket whilst the others accelerate the innings when required. Trott and Cook have served us very well over the last 9 months.
We want to be world no.1 so have to be a little more positive against sides like Sri Lanka, no disrespect to them but they are not the force they were and without Dilshans inning's in this match they would have been nowhere. The two world class players Kumar and Mahele have been a major dissapointment. Let the captain down really.
(08-06-2011, 09:53 AM)Terry Wrote: So how do you explain Bopara not getting picked?
I'm sorry, but I don't go along with all of this "the selectors are biased in favour of this county or that". It may have been true at one time;but I now think that they genuinely want to pick the best team and the best captain. They may not always get it right (time will show in the case of Cook) but that's a different argument.

Agree, when a players scored 1000 runs in like his last 8 games, and has only 1 less hundred than Sachin at the same age, it's wrong to say it's because he plays for Essex.
Supporter of 2012 County Relegation candidates

TBF its a nonsense really. Look at the recent test captains and then look at how many of those were from the Southern counties. Vaughan, Atherton, Flintoff. Collingwood was the last one day captain. Dont get me wrong I think Cook is the wrong choice. A man that was deemed good enough to be in our wold cup squad is now good enough to be our one day captain.
(08-06-2011, 11:38 AM)Paul Wrote: Surely that has already gone Kim. If we are going to open with Cook and have Trott at 3 then kieswetter will open with Cook.

Probably

Makes me smile how players get better once out of the team though. Prior will no doubt be dropped for averaging 20 in ODIs over the winter.

Noone will complain and Kies will be welcomed back - despite being dropped for averaging 15 in ODIS last summer. :thumbup:

My theory is that, about 6 months after you get dropped, everyone totally forgets why and wants you picked again. Look at Adil Rashid. Dropped after 5 ODIs where he averged 63 with the ball, took 10 list A wickets last year and never made a one day 50 anywhere. But he was the answer tp our WC probs for many :thumbup: