Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2011 World Cup In Asia
Only 6 days to go now, might as well have a thread.

Who are your favourites?

In short I dont have one, I think anyone in the top 6 could win this and even Bangladesh could come in to it. The ones I definitely write off are the minnows, NZ and WI.
Supporter of 2012 County Relegation candidates

I agree. Its the win 3 games and you are champions format that makes it hard to choose from way out. India must be bookies favourites but I wouldnt mind a bet on England if 1. they get the team right 2. the doctors have got it right about the injured players. I dont like that fact that at last two players - Prior as opener and Colly - are being touted to play because Indian conditions will suit them; because Indian conditions have never suited them before.
Supporter of the 2014 County Champions
I think it's a very open contest and difficult to get excited until the final stages.
I've only once placed a bet on a cricket match; but I could be tempted to bet at 50 to 1 on Imran Tahir as the top wicket-taker.
India have started well...

Two months ago I'd of put my money on England but they have been away on tour for a long time now. They looked mentally and physically fatigued in that one day series against Australia. Now they have had a few days off and so it depends how quickly they can recover. they have also missed a massive trick not picking Cook. Prior is no opener. Morgan will be a big loss. Pieterson has not performed well in one day cricket for over 2 years now. Swann is the key but I dont think India will be too worried about him. We need 2 or 3 of our batsmen to really stand up and make big contributions. Can Trott continuehis magnificent form? Can he score quickly enough on the slow wickets. He loved the quicker Australian wickets. Bell could be the key batter as he's technically the best and has the widest range of shots and is the best player of spin but he hasn't yet showed hes a big match player in one day international cricket so lets hope he does now.

I agree with DD don't write off Bangladesh. They will be a force in Asia. Pakistan could be a dangerous side as well. not sure about Sri Lanka but they do still have match winning players. Australia maybe but they rely on pace on slow wickets and lack a quality spinner. South Africa the chokers - could it be their year. They have probably the best all-round bowling attack now. Top quality seamers, a real match winner in Imran as we saw in the final of cb40. India may start favs with their batting line-up.

I just have an inkling for South Africa provided they dont choke.
India have been beyond awful today, not the signs of a World Cup winning team for sure and Bangalore better not stay like this otherwise England will beat India in the group stage.

We all know what india are like terrible one day then fantastic the next. Anyway warm-up games dont mean a lot. Krejza??????
He gets some nice turn but that's about it.

Hastings looked good.

its a strange tournament, isnt it - we start with a few weeks of sparring, before the tournament starts in earnest at the quarter-final stage - so the team who reach their peak then will probably win - Pakistan are quie good at being a shambles and then suddenly raising their game when it matters, and Australia are too. India & S Africa have a tendency to go the other way - look good in the group stage but fail when it matters.
I think England have the best chance they have had for ages, although they did look a weary shambles in the recent one-day series. It could be one of those strange occasions when they find their best team almost by accident - dont think they are there yet, but reckon they need to tinker with the order and jettison Colingwood
(13-02-2011, 02:55 PM)sweatysock Wrote: its a strange tournament, isnt it - we start with a few weeks of sparring, before the tournament starts in earnest at the quarter-final stage - so the team who reach their peak then will probably win - Pakistan are quie good at being a shambles and then suddenly raising their game when it matters, and Australia are too. India & S Africa have a tendency to go the other way - look good in the group stage but fail when it matters.
I think England have the best chance they have had for ages, although they did look a weary shambles in the recent one-day series. It could be one of those strange occasions when they find their best team almost by accident - dont think they are there yet, but reckon they need to tinker with the order and jettison Colingwood

Where would you bat Matt, Sweaty? Agree we have a chance - and its a very long time since I felt that. Big advantahe is that our bwolers all got injured - so are rested

What is it they say about this Wcup? - 10 days till it starts, 10,000 till it ends.
Kim - i think I said at the outset that I didnt fancy Matt opening and havent changed my mind
Agree. Id swap him and Bell.

Interesting to see on 24/7 that Matt has played two ODI series in India as an opener. Averaged 17 at SR of about 60. Both times hes ended up being dropped as opener - to be replaced by Bell. Its a bit wooden headed to ignore this I think.
just think Matt looks completely unconvincing opening, and completely at home at 6 - so why not use him where hes comfortable. Strangely though, Matt always opens for Sussex and in my view only looks good when hes got a quick scorer with him (he and Mccullum was a great combination but he looks good with Luke as well) - so this maybe why it doesnt work with Strauss
(13-02-2011, 02:43 PM)ddb Wrote: India have been beyond awful today, not the signs of a World Cup winning team for sure and Bangalore better not stay like this otherwise England will beat India in the group stage.

Our bowling has been surprisingly good though :sneaky2:

Aus 166/7, need 49 off 15 overs.

(13-02-2011, 02:43 PM)ddb Wrote: India have been beyond awful today, not the signs of a World Cup winning team for sure and Bangalore better not stay like this otherwise England will beat India in the group stage.

:thumbup:

Mystic DDB. :thumbup1:
It always works.

I like your argument about the choker tag btw - so pointless.

(13-02-2011, 06:52 PM)ddb Wrote: It always works.

I like your argument about the choker tag btw - so pointless.

:thumbup: Wosrt argument Ive ever been in. Waste of time and I dont care anyway.
I've been in much worse.

*glares at TB shamefully*

My worst was on a West Ham website where I ranted for two days about the sale of a reserve full back Id never seen play to Peterborough. By the end I was claiming that he could be the next Ashley Cole.

Peterborough gave him a free at the end of the season.Angry
(13-02-2011, 03:57 PM)Kim Wrote:
(13-02-2011, 02:55 PM)sweatysock Wrote: its a strange tournament, isnt it - we start with a few weeks of sparring, before the tournament starts in earnest at the quarter-final stage - so the team who reach their peak then will probably win - Pakistan are quie good at being a shambles and then suddenly raising their game when it matters, and Australia are too. India & S Africa have a tendency to go the other way - look good in the group stage but fail when it matters.

Where would you bat Matt, Sweaty? Agree we have a chance - and its a very long time since I felt that. Big advantahe is that our bwolers all got injured - so are rested

What is it they say about this Wcup? - 10 days till it starts, 10,000 till it ends.

Yes but thats only an advantage if they all come back fully fit. Theres no certainty Broad will!