Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Accounts - Bloody Hell!
http://www.testmatchextra.com/Blogs.aspx...789e37350b
Supporter of the 2014 County Champions
(10-12-2010, 12:31 PM)Kim Wrote: http://www.testmatchextra.com/Blogs.aspx...789e37350b

Mark Twain famously once wrote "Buy land, they're not making it any more".

We appear to be doing the opposite to stay afloat. The extra facilities being built had better start earning their keep from day one or else we're going to be in big, big trouble.
These are indeed worrying times
LE - aka John
I know over the years, at times I have sometimes been accused of being a tad negative - BUT - I generally find Paul Bolton's articles enough to want to get a razor blade out and slit my wrists. Generally I am more positive than if we had done nothing, and the club seems to have had a better grasp of some of the lessons around ticket pricing than say Trent Bridge for the Test Matches. Yes worrying - but to me less worrying than sitting on the beach like King Canute watching the tide come in as nothing changed. Roll on the fixture list and new season............... and a new pavillion to generate revenue all year round :)
Warley you still think Sir Colin is doing the right thing?

Supporter of 2012 County Relegation candidates

I have real problems with some of the petty silly things he does.......... BUT............. over the Pavillion I am convinced it had to be done. It was the right thing to do - and often doing the right thing isnt popular. If we had kept with our previous facilities / pavillion we would have been heading backwards faster than say Kent. We will look back one day and say 'CP had the vision to drive the county forward' - but probably made few friends in doing so. Worrying - Yes. Risk - Yes .... but to have done nothing would have been a disaster IMHO. I know I am probably in a minority - but the ground had to change and CP was the man able to do it. I would be interested to know George D's view?
I agree to have done nothing would have been to watch a ground crumble and die - never to hold a major event again.
The amount of debt involved given the financial climate of this country is, though, still a worry and I just hope CP is clear as to how to achieve repayments over the coming years.

Certainly the new pavilion will make it much easier to attract corporate revenue - something that would definitely have been lost if nothing had been done.
LE - aka John
What would we have done without the land sale? Its worrying lets just hope the Development will bring in some extra cash when finished. Lets face it this season with the crap facilities, it was always going to be poor season revenue wise. I am trying to look at the positives here....
Question for all dull accountant types....

I might have missed something here - but how do you increase your profit by defering a tax payment? Surely on a matching basis it is recognised and shown as a deferred liability in the accounts?

Also - how on earth are we going to pay the interest on the loan??? Going Concern?
Perhaps CP's clever move was to borrow from the council ?

Lets be positive - change was needed...... the old facilities wouldnt have done us any favours in the end.
(10-12-2010, 08:43 PM)Warleybear Wrote: Perhaps CP's clever move was to borrow from the council ?

Lets be positive - change was needed...... the old facilities wouldnt have done us any favours in the end.

has any one bought a season pass for the car park at edgbaston yet?
The Ryder,Deakins,and old members area were a complete eyesore and so dilapidated I am surprised the world heritage organisation didnt step in and give it their patronage,thats what they normally do with old ruins.
Without the new stands Warks were doomed,and it had to happen and on the scale now being developed,I think Warks board have got it right and Herr Povey is the right man to deliver it even though he is responsible for the financial flogging of the members(we should of had a discount on last years season ticket or a reduction for next years because of sub-standard facilities this year..I could go on)but even if it turns out to be a white elephant...its something that has to be done-the new development will look great and genrate income more than ever before.
Warks might have to rob peter to pay paul for a while,but the alternative is stagnation and disintergration,which is no alternative.Merry Xmas everyone.
Sort of the way I feel hhbear. CP is not my favourite man.............. but perhaps he was the man to make these changes. Was I right that the club got quite a bit of cash from the council ??? Sorry BB if I was wrong.

January will be when my mind turns to paying my subs :)
Looks to me as if the redevelopment better include an Alchemist's shop or its "Birmingham City Council CCC ' here we come. I dont see how Mr Povey's postion is tenable with results like this; his financial track record at the club is appalling.

Supporter of the 2014 County Champions
(10-12-2010, 10:32 PM)boltonboy Wrote: has any one bought a season pass for the car park at edgbaston yet?

They dont sell them anymore. Have not had one since pay and display came. Always had one before.

T20 Fantasy League Champion 2010
I see where you are going with this BB :thumbup:
(13-12-2010, 03:38 PM)Kim Wrote: Looks to me as if the redevelopment better include an Alchemist's shop or its "Birmingham City Council CCC ' here we come. I dont see how Mr Povey's postion is tenable with results like this; his financial track record at the club is appalling.

Certainly looks that way. I welcome the new development but only if they can pay for it. Looks more and more like he took a gamble with no certainty of repayment at all. Accountability doesn't seem to be WCCC's biggest attribute under the present regime.

Well, its all going very well!

Thankyou Mr Grace oops Povey!!

On the positive side - I dont think I will get a seat in the new bit - having just booked to take my caravan to France mid August, they will hardly have opened the place by then! So I save and the Bears miss out! City end for me - once we check the fixtures.

Warwickshire Bears - County Champions 2012:thumbup:

Leicester Tigers - THE team:thumbup:
All seems very positive to me - took my membership out in August when I had a refund from British Gas's direct debit overcharging fiddly doodahr type thing. Only used the city end once last season after whitnessing the select few controlling the facilities by turning off the TV with England playing football and leaving the golf on as the bar staff stood helplessly by as familes left so there Kids could watch the game elsewhere. I'll leave the 350 club (so named after the fact that we had - with great complexity and cost to the club - to all be strangely issued with T20 tickets for all matches as there were only 350 spaces in the city end) to enjoy themselves and sit with the great and the good in the pavillion. Sadly I couldnt afford the 1882 or Jaguar club :lol:

Those floodlights look superb - the funding / loan from the council looks good value :thumbup: