Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eng v S Africa series
well this starts on thursday and in my view should be an intriguing contest as well as a test of where england sit in the overall scheme of things

s africa have a good seam attack with pace in steyn/morkel/ntini/nel but its not a very varied one. their batting has proven susceptible at times and over-reliant on kallis, but certainly have better batsmen than new zealand

re england, their batting is also frail and bowling has yet to be tested. they have an advantage re spin i feel but will the pitches help re this.

must still be question marks re the keeper spot - a real test of whether tim is the long-term solution
Yes I agree its going to be a very interesting test series. South Africa are reliant on Kallis but I will be very interested to see how Amla does. Monty wont have much effect in the first two test matches. South Africa have the edge in pace. I'm looking forward to seeng Dale Steyn bowl.
sweatysock Wrote:well this starts on thursday and in my view should be an intriguing contest as well as a test of where england sit in the overall scheme of things

s africa have a good seam attack with pace in steyn/morkel/ntini/nel but its not a very varied one. their batting has proven susceptible at times and over-reliant on kallis, but certainly have better batsmen than new zealand

re england, their batting is also frail and bowling has yet to be tested. they have an advantage re spin i feel but will the pitches help re this.

must still be question marks re the keeper spot - a real test of whether tim is the long-term solution

No. I think Mark Boucher (who has a lower test batting average than Tim) is safe.

I think they will muller us. We may have an apparent advantage in spin but, to date, Monty simply doesnt do it against the better sides. In addition Harris role will be to support his pace attack. I think he will do this better than Monty will perform his attacking role.

Obviously a big series for Bell and Collingwood, one of whom will go the moment they think Freddie can last 5 minutes.
Supporter of the 2014 County Champions
what i meant re the keeper is that tim did perfectly ok v new zealand in the test series home & away but must perform with gloves and bat to keep going or the vultures will start circling
He's missed just two hard chances in 6 tests. averaged more than Boucher and, above all, on the two occasions we needed runs from our keeper he delivered in spades. He's achieved more in pressure situations already than The Juggler and Chris Read combined.

His one day form was poor but then none of the options had made many in that form of the game.

But, as we all know its the impossible job. When we go with a pure keeper in Read, his batting gets bashed. When we go with a batsman keeper in Prior his keeping gets hammered.
Sky dont help with thier inane commentators over emphasising everthing. Foster took a couple of regulation catches on Monday that Chris Adams (sorry Sweaty) described as "brilliant". Yesterday Nick Knight (sorry everybody but he's a really poor comentator IMO ) was saying how great Scott was ("a display like Foster's the other night") - Scott promptly missed a straightforward stumping.
yes its rediculous that they keep talking up all the other keepers. Everyone is capable of takng a good catch. Tim is under pressure but he has been under pressure ever since he was chosen for the England team. One point, if they do pick Flintoff for the second or third test and decide to drop a batsman for him, it does make it imperitive that they pick a wicket-keeper who can bat. Foster might be ok as a number 8 but I wouldn't trust him at 6 or 7.

Anyway good luck to Tim, I hope he has a great game with gloves and bat.
one thing abundantly clear is that the "call for freddie" brigade in the press will never be far away, particularly if eng go 1-0 down. i feel that he should only be picked as part of 4-man bowling attack batting at 8 - but suspect a batsman would be dropped to accomodate him
Agree Sweaty (though would bet he'll break down in a "4"). We've spent the entire three years since the ashes putting life on hold waiting for someone or other to come back. An inbuilt excuse and not pleasant for the incumbents either.
Vaughan, not a selector as far as Im aware, has made it 100% clear Ferddie is coming back.

Freddie is likely to replace a batsman.

Pressure in on the batsman not to fail.

Vaughan got 0.
I am not too sure it is totally fair to judge Vaugham on one test innings, surely better to judge over a few games.

As for Freddie, I am sure he can bat at number 6, he will rise to the occassion - the guy is a class act, talisman, and with correct handling will be an inspiration for years to come.

Hopefully the next pitches will have a bit of pace and bounce as there is not much more tedious than a high scoring draw.
Call me an old cynic, but were ticket sales a bit slow before Freddie was recalled to the squad?
Never mind all that, Dooey, Ive looked at your website.

Whats with you and the duck?
Errrrrr, it's a long story, Kim, and I wouldn't know where to start...........? :001_unsure:
Kim Wrote:Vaughan, not a selector as far as Im aware, has made it 100% clear Ferddie is coming back.

Freddie is likely to replace a batsman.

Pressure in on the batsman not to fail.

Vaughan got 0.

Freddie replaced a batsman.

Vaughan rose to the occasion by getting 0 again.
I think we can judge Vaughan's performance before this test and it leaves a lot to be desired at times!
So..Darren Pattinson..
29..30 next week..
Born in Grimsby..raised in Australia..
Apparently never harboured any ambition to play for England..
I've nothing else to say..oh actually i have..
It's disgraceful..what motivation that is for young ENGLISH cricketers!:thumbdown:
I'm a horrid bint.....apparently!
Yes I totally agree with you Val.
I guess today's events at Headingley will determine whether "Sir Les" Pattinson supplants KP as the latest true English hero or is condemned to be transported in chains back to that faraway alien territory that he came from - that's if Grimsby will take him back.
Is it me or are SA the most boring side to watch batting. I was bored when I saw them at Edgbaston when they last came over and is the main reason I am not going this year.
I accept they have quality but for me there is no sparkle.
This explains a lot....

http://www.miller-pattison.co.uk/
Kim Wrote:This explains a lot....

http://www.miller-pattison.co.uk/

:001_tt2: nice one Kim