Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Membership Options ! Post Today
The modern bean counter will have more beans to count if they spread the games around the county. that's the point.

And potential members will shell out if they can attend four days at a county match (not a festival that's two games like at Scarborough) in their home town watching their home County.

Its not about what happened in the past (which I think you are wrong about in any case). its about the future and the modern day bean counter reaching the audience most likely to shell out for a membership.

Its also about doing what's right.
(29-06-2010, 03:03 PM)Warleybear Wrote: I remember when JB's went up by 125% and family membership with two children by 50%. I said who'd be next - county members, young adults, seniors? I'm afraid quite a few thought I was moaning. With Ashes tickets going up by nearly 100% in 4 years, T20 tickets up by 70% in a year; whilst I may not like them - these latest price rises seem at least consistant with the current regieme and well presented in a timely manor. We should not be surprised?

Not being disrespectful to our more senior members - BUT my real concern is young people - Perhaps I have missed something, but what is the route from being a JB to paying a full adult membership? These young adults are our future. The age of 16 to 24 can be very difficult financially. We invest in JB's - why do we throw it away? Is there anything for University Students who may be in the area for half a season (either early season studying in Birmingham from home - or just home for the summer). Is there anything for young people in their first job - or looking for that first job?

The answer Warley is to challenge him about it as a parent of someone affected at a public meeting: forum/AGM. He will then invite you outside for a chat after. (Not as menacing as it sounds - his actual words were something like see me later and I'll sort something out). He has done this on 2 occasions that I know of. The annoying thing is though that it leads to a 2 tier system, if you complain you may get a reprieve; but as we know more people are likely to just vote with their feet.

I can't comment about the Warwickshire festival matches attracting more members, as I have not attended any. I was not a member / couldn't get to the earlier festivals a Nuneaton and Coventry; and when the Stratford games were played I was struggling around on crutches so travelling to the CG was difficult enough without going all over there.

Having said that though I started as a Worcestershire member when I went to my first Kidderminster Festival. They made an announcement about half season memberships on the first day of the match and I was intending to go to all the days at Kiddy. A quick bit of maths told me that provided I could fit in the remaining weekend cricket and a couple of mid-week days I could make up the money easilly; so they sold a membership which I kept for about 5 years untill they switched to 4 day cricket and abandoned Kiddy. Strangley since 4 day cricket has come in we seem to have more matches finishing in 3 days than we used to.

I agree about the youngsters Warley they had a coach load descend on New Road yesterday for about 3 hours. The idea was that they gave a demonstration of kwik cricket during the break, watch a bit of the match then go back to school. They even brought their cheerleaders with them (they didn't do any cheerleading though), just watched the cricket. When they arrived we though Oh s*** there goes the peace and quieit, but unlike some other groups (the ones I have heard about at Edgbaston for the Warickshire/Lions match) they were very well behaved. Apart that is from making the poor woman selling the ice creams earn her money, they kept her very busy. :)

It is all very well doing that, but you need a way to get them hooked when they come back for more. If they suddenly get hit with a massive increase in fees at a time when most of them are not yet working (correct me if I am wrong but aren't most 17 or 18 when they graduate from schoool/college now)? If so where are they supposed to get the £160 or £200 from?
"Kevin and myself would get on much better if Kevin kept hs mouth shut." - Graeme Smith on Kevin Pietersen (June 2008)
I agree with your post about the four days of cricket Jon. Apart from the even more relaxed atmosphere at Kiddy, the thing I liked was that you could weather permitting (and in 4 years I only had 1 weather affected match) guarantee 3 and a bit days of good cricket.

I have not attended yet, due to the cost of travelling there, but I think Derbyshire have a good idea having a 4 day match and Pro40 to form their Chesterfield festival (they pull in both the CC and one day crowd).
"Kevin and myself would get on much better if Kevin kept hs mouth shut." - Graeme Smith on Kevin Pietersen (June 2008)
I'm presuming Lofty, they'd expect us to be getting a job during the summer months when exams are finished to pay for it, anyone know when the main part of the season is btw?:sneaky2:
Supporter of 2012 County Relegation candidates

(29-06-2010, 04:42 PM)Lofty Wrote: If they suddenly get hit with a massive increase in fees at a time when most of them are not yet working (correct me if I am wrong but aren't most 17 or 18 when they graduate from schoool/college now)? If so where are they supposed to get the £160 or £200 from?

Good question .... and thats my concern................ wherever the game is played.
Why are these membership things coming out so early? Is it just good communication or are there incentives to pay the new rates early?

And new members are now £200 plus a £30 joining fee? Is that right?
Supporter of the 2014 County Champions
Every year its November. It is professionally packaged, I can see no incentives to pay early. It does say that the £ 1000 memberships payable by direct debit over 5 months must be received before 12th August. The material is aimed at exsisting members - so it doesnt mention £ 30. It does say the new members wont be offered the city package at £ 165. It doesnt say what happens if the new pavillion over runs by 50 odd days. There are three clinics to help you choose which option to take (a bit like a time share experience in spain?). One full membership in the new pavillion is £200 with additional cards at the same address £ 50. Ponders the question - Is anyone going to get a few of these and sell them?
(29-06-2010, 05:04 PM)Lofty Wrote: I agree with your post about the four days of cricket Jon. Apart from the even more relaxed atmosphere at Kiddy, the thing I liked was that you could weather permitting (and in 4 years I only had 1 weather affected match) guarantee 3 and a bit days of good cricket.

I have not attended yet, due to the cost of travelling there, but I think Derbyshire have a good idea having a 4 day match and Pro40 to form their Chesterfield festival (they pull in both the CC and one day crowd).

I noticed that with Derbyshire this year. Shame the trip up there is quite expensive these days. There is a further festival at Chesterfield in early August so that is a possibility. Shows they are trying to engage with the cricket followers of their county and the average punter. They even took a P40 game to Leek in Staffordshire earlier this season.

Worcester certainly have some interesting away matches at out-grounds coming up.
Looking at the ground plans I think we should get some sunshine to the right of the sightscreen. The only question I have now is that as it wont be completed until July then we're paying £200 for half a season of the new facilities and if its delayed?
(29-06-2010, 11:10 PM)Mad Brummie Wrote: I noticed that with Derbyshire this year. Shame the trip up there is quite expensive these days. There is a further festival at Chesterfield in early August so that is a possibility. Shows they are trying to engage with the cricket followers of their county and the average punter. They even took a P40 game to Leek in Staffordshire earlier this season.

Worcester certainly have some interesting away matches at out-grounds coming up.

Actually the train fare comes in at a reasonable amout if pre-booked, but with cricket being so reliant on good weather I am reluctant to book in case of rain-outs. I prefer to leave it untill a day or two before the match if not on the day; so that if we are hit by torrential rains throughout the country I can atleast go to plan B.
(29-06-2010, 11:00 AM)DaveC Wrote: One (anoymous) test match county CE recently stated that he operated a test match venue with a membership attached.

Don't know whether it was ours but I suspect it reflected his sentiments exactly.

As I say - from a personal point of view it looks OK. Like the budget it wasn't as bad as I'd expected. We'll only be at the pavilion end for max 5 days a year so not really bothered about paying an extra £50 to get my backside on a nice padded seat. So long as it has functioning loos I'm more than happy.

But the hikes for seniors and juniors denote a worrying trend. When we have a member from this board of 52 years standing calling it quits over rising costs then we have a problem, because like it or not it's still the seniors that comprise a large part of the viewing membership.

I do worry that CC games will be played out in a nice new shiny stadium in front of the proverbial 1 man and his dog if some sort of compromise can't be found.

But for now I'll settle for "2nd class" family membership.

Sorry 'no dogs allowed' do you think you are at Derby:001_cool:
I was born a bear
Interesting comments.
If a restaurant/pub has a re-furb...price of the food/beer goes up to pay for it,just scale that up to Warks rebuilding a third of the ground.
We are all not "members"..we are "punters",the price of admission will be passed on-thats life.
My own opinion is that £200 is not bad really,brand new facilities,a crackin view in the shade(looking forward to those leather seats)It will be the only place to watch the game when the development is finished.
£165 for a "city" ticket...now that IS not worth it,poor facilities and if they are playing on the strip nearest to the Hollies the view is lousy...for an extra £35???..its no contest.
Where Warks have let the Puntership down in my opinion is that for this season they could of offered a reduction(say £20?)on the price of a season ticket because of the lesser quality of facilities on offer or...(£20 maybe?)off the price of the new pavillion season ticket next year to reflect this....the Puntership has been"shafted" this year in my opinion.
I am quite sure a lot of people have to cut their cloth accordingly to purchase their season ticket for Warks,£200 is an amount to a lot of people,I am bet Obergruppenfuhrer Povey spends that amount on a tie.
Public relations own goal again,it would not be too late for Warks to remedy this situation to all of the people that have bought their inferior"product" this season.
I was a little upset by being referred to as a client not a Member. I am sure in the past we have always been Members. I have always felt part of a members club, but beginning to wonder now.
(01-07-2010, 08:43 AM)hhbear Wrote: £165 for a "city" ticket...now that IS not worth it,poor facilities and if they are playing on the strip nearest to the Hollies the view is lousy...for an extra £35???..its no contest.

Depends. We rarely went anywhere near the old pavilion except on international days - we prefer to sit in the sun anyway. And there plenty of members like us I can tell you. So no great loss to us. Anyway my understanding is that the £165 members will still be able to access the concourse where there will be food and drink outlets and the lower level seating in the new stand. And we'll still be able to sit in the new stand on international days. Effectively the extra £35 buys you the same access as executive club members used to get in the old pavilion from what I can see so unless you're going to wine and dine and want the panoramic views it's £35 wasted IMO.

Agree with much of the rest of what you say though. I think the pricing is about right. What they still need to get right though is T20 and international ticket pricing which is set way too high at the moment. If these go up another 10% in order for non-members to come in once a year and glory at the magnificent structure at the other end of the ground I think they'll be in for a shock!
(01-07-2010, 09:56 AM)DaveC Wrote:
(01-07-2010, 08:43 AM)hhbear Wrote: £165 for a "city" ticket...now that IS not worth it,poor facilities and if they are playing on the strip nearest to the Hollies the view is lousy...for an extra £35???..its no contest.

Depends. We rarely went anywhere near the old pavilion except on international days - we prefer to sit in the sun anyway. And there plenty of members like us I can tell you. So no great loss to us. Anyway my understanding is that the £165 members will still be able to access the concourse where there will be food and drink outlets and the lower level seating in the new stand. And we'll still be able to sit in the new stand on international days. Effectively the extra £35 buys you the same access as executive club members used to get in the old pavilion from what I can see so unless you're going to wine and dine and want the panoramic views it's £35 wasted IMO.

Agree with much of the rest of what you say though. I think the pricing is about right. What they still need to get right though is T20 and international ticket pricing which is set way too high at the moment. If these go up another 10% in order for non-members to come in once a year and glory at the magnificent structure at the other end of the ground I think they'll be in for a shock!

Dave C
Good point about city ticket if you prefer to sit sunnyside up,I feel a certain amount of people have negative views about the new pavillion purely on the basis that it is going to cost more,sorry folks..thats the way it is in all forms of business,for all Warks punters the new pavillion can only be a step forward,I dont bother with Int cricket now but I can see myself sprawled out in the N.P now,on average I visit the Egd 20/30 times a season(even if only for an hour or two at times)so I will definately get my monies worth from it,all it needs now is for Obergruppenfuhrer Povey to knock £20 or so for hie sub-standard ticket he offered us all this year.The N.P will look better than that hideous effort at Old Trafford,and I will be at Headlingey on sunday to have a look at their new stand/member area.
Good post DaveC - however I think the extra £ 35 is well worth it to sit with the great and the good. :)

I've saved more than that £ 35 by not parking in the ground and bring my own food and drink. Four years ago I had family membership, 3 JBs and went to every International (3 or 4 days out of 5 for Tests) . I purchased food and drink in the ground and had a £ 60 car park pass. I would estimate that to be around £ 1000 (Including the infamous £ 3.60 cola). Under Mr Povey I will have spent £ 165 on my membership and £ 30 on two England ODI matches. Next year it will probably be £ 200 and a couple of T20 tickets.

Cricket on the cheap? Howcome I've been encouraged to spend less and wait for BOGOF's ?
As a student, and a skint one at that as all of my money has gone towards this trip that I'm on (am currently in Canberra, Australia), I feel that £200 is too much for me to spend on facilities to use from June to September. I understand that this new build needs paying for so I can understand the hike in fees but once again I am upset that the committee seems to have forgotten those of us who may not work full time and are students, after all between the Grizzlies and the full membership there is a huge hike in costs, a lot bigger than most of us can afford by ourselves. They used to do a 16-25 or something like that membership and I know a few people who did take that out but then didn't go for the full membership when that was scrapped a couple of seasons ago. I also only found out about the discounted tickets for students for one of the T20 games via the Facebook profile of one of the Warwickshire staff members.

I want to be a member, I am a Warwickshire supporter and I will support them through thick and thin, but even £165 to sit in the Wyatt is a bit steep, are the facilities in the new pavilion area really £35 better than in the Wyatt? I don't think so because the Wyatt, despite it improving slightly to facilitate all of us throughout this build is not worth £165 a year to sit in.

I think that due to this the Notts student membership is tempting, and nobody start on me for being a turn coat, my grandparents are from that area so I am well within my right to call them my second county, also with me hoping to move to Leicester for my PGCE year starting in Sept 2011 they will be my second most accessible club, but I don't like Grace Road very much.

I can't keep asking my parents for help for paying for my Warwickshire membership, but on my own I just cannot afford it. I don't know what the season pass prices are like for next season but it will be interesting to see.
You are well within your rights to choose whichever county you want Raebear. I think you will find that most of us do not have a problem with that. However try telling them on "keep right on" that you are upping sticks and going to B6 and just watch the fireworks. :)

Personally I have already given up the Warwickshire membership, I had intended to come back next year; but it seems that the cheapest option will be £170+. Which is far to much. Just waiting to see what they offer at New Road for a half season - that reminds me I will have to phone Amy.
Just some interesting stats I worked out this morning. (I am in full time work so can only get to games outside of office hours)

Cricket seen this season (including T20's I've got tickets for but not been to yet):

LVCC = 5 days x £10 = £50
N40 = 4 matches x £15 = £60
T20 = 8 matches x £25 = £200

Total spend so far (with July, August and September to go) = £310

Still to come I should be able to get to:

LVCC = 5 days x £10 = £50
N40 = 2 matches x £15 = £30

Total spend = £80

Total cost on the gate for cricket = £390 for the season

£200 cricket on the cheap? I think so!
Read my Ashes blog at otis-bear.tumblr.com/ashes2010 :thumbup:
Cricket on the cheaper i prefer to call it
Chris, don't ask why Windy. No please don't. No.

Music: http://trip-tv.blogspot.com/
Me: http://mixing-and-matching.blogspot.com/