Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
England Lions
http://ecb.co.uk/news/england/england-li...19,EN.html

Congrats to Woakes. Prseume Ian is going to try and get his one day place back.

Davies and Kieswetter should provide a feast of all that is good in wicket keeping. :D
Supporter of the 2014 County Champions
You would think so, it also allows him the chance to stay in form before the Bangladesh tests.

Playing Pakistan A will probably be a harder challenge than playing ODI's v Bangladesh, a country that shouldn't of been given test status.
It' Nord alto torvo di s.
spiega con la maggior parte yorkshiremen sono bastardi miseri

Bangladesh will pose a pretty decent threat in the ODI's for England, sadly not in the tests but they are improving. Shakib is probably one of the best all rounders currently.

Woakes is looking like a nailed on England place if he keeps improving. Kirby? WTH?
Supporter of 2012 County Relegation candidates

Good for Woakes. Don;t really see the benefit for Bell to be in the squad although I guess he has a chance to push his case forward for a recall. Kirby is a good bowler. Plenty of pace and agression, just plays for an unfashionable county.

Kirby is old though.

What does age matter if he can still do it! I think hes about equal to Bollinger as a bowler.

(10-01-2010, 04:41 PM)Paul Wrote: What does age matter if he can still do it!

You didnt say that about Sachin :001_tt2:

Yes but I was just trying to wind you up about Sachin

(10-01-2010, 04:41 PM)Paul Wrote: What does age matter if he can still do it! I think hes about equal to Bollinger as a bowler.

The age problem is that, at 32, we dont know if he can do it, isnt it?

Anyway here's a stat because there havent been nearly enough of those wonderful things on this board recently:

If England are - as likely - unchanged for the next test, it will be the first time they have been unchanged throughout a series of 4 games or longer for 125 years.

And it was the Sunday Times who pointed out to SA that Tahir wasnt qulaified though seems the general view was that he wasnt going to play and was only picked to give Paul Harris a boot up the BTM.
Still not enough stats on here to make me happy so:

Ian Bell faced more balls in his last innings than either Andrew Strauss or Nasser Hussain have ever faced in the 4th innings of a test. :thumbup:
Could it be that actually Taheer was just a 'quota' selection to keep the number of 'non-whites' in the squad up to the required level. Although denied by the South African board, it is understood that they have to include at least 4 non white players in every squad.

They've already got 4 - Amla, Prince, Duminy and Parnell.

I agree with quotas by the way.
Keep going with the Stats. About Kirby, thats a reasonable point Kim but a player should be selected on merit not age. I dont care if somebody is 50. If they are good enough they are young enough. Anyway enough of the cliches

He was picked on merit was Tahir, their spin bowling stocks are not that extensive.

Thers a cartoon in one of the papers today with a SA selector saying to Tahir:

"And dont forget, now that you arent South African, you cant play for England either"
Surely as he has played for Pakistan A his nationality for international cricket should be fixed. He's not from a country that isn't involved in test cricket so he should shouldn't be allowed to play internationally for any other country.

We are his 17th first class team so a couple of countries is nothing!
(10-01-2010, 08:36 PM)Tall Bear Wrote: Surely as he has played for Pakistan A his nationality for international cricket should be fixed. He's not from a country that isn't involved in test cricket so he should shouldn't be allowed to play internationally for any other country.

So should the same rules apply to Trott.

Rudolph is the one I object to as he has played 35 tests for SA yet in Feb he is eligible for England.

A good question.

Unlike Taheer, Trott qualifies to be a British citizen due to his parents and he only played age group sport for South Africa. So the situation is not identical, a more relevant example would be if Grant Flower or Nic Pothas were to be selected for England