Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trotty!
It was a well written piece granted, unfortunately he provides soo many negatives he makes it hard to actually pick him. I think he shot himself in the foot here.
Simon Hughes has his say:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket...arity.html
Trott scores more runs in one innings than the rest of the batsmen put together in two...he can dig a trench as wide as the Grand Canyon for all i care.
Love how these writer's always seem to know what every other England player is allegedly thinking, what an amazing talent!!
I'm a horrid bint.....apparently!
Apart from Steve James, I take what the majority of the National Press write with a ton of salt. Apart from the amateur psychology nonsense, most of them dont know what they are talking about. I mean, in the clamour for Morgan to get a test, I wonder how many of the clamourers had ever seen Morgan play first class cricket? Precious few I'd think.

Theres a bloke who writes for the Telegraph - Hoult? - who was on cricket writers on TV last week. He did a long piece a little while ago about how he was worried about Trotts mental stength. About a month after hed praised Trott for his mental strength! Id suggest Mr Hoults mind is the one that needs looking at on that basis as he clearly cant make it up.

Trott can dig until he strikes oil as far as im concrened.
Supporter of the 2014 County Champions
It’s amazing how this lazy thinking permeates the national cricket press and becomes common currency. Trott is a meticulous batsman and an intense individual who works hard at his game, prizes his wicket and has to be literally crowbarred from the crease.

However in the minds of one or two journos these characteristics, which some might say a re pretty good attributes for a test number 3, are seen as psychological flaws that mark him out as some kind of ready-to-explode nut job.

So what if he scratches round at the crease and annoys the s*** out of the opposition. If it gets under the Aussies' skins come November then all to the good. Remember this current crop of Aussies is nowhere near as intimidating as the bunch we faced in 2005 and 2006/7. I don’t imagine a bit of sledging from the likes of Nathan Hauritz is going to give him too many sleepless nights.

I think a lot of this stems from his original selection last summer. Whilst the journos were debating whether we should recall Robert Key or Ramps, Trotty had been meticulously making his case with sheer weight of runs for us. Those of us that knew him and those journos that pay a passing interest to what goes on in the shires knew his time had come. But the Pringles, Athertons and Brenkleys were totally miffed that their preferred picks were overlooked for the this uppity anglicised Saffer.

Consequently they have refused resolutely to give him a break under any circumstances. As far as I’m concerned Trotty should ignore the lot of them and keep irritating for England.

Oh and for another alternate view try this.
I agree with this, although I have to admit that meticulously marking out your guard AFTER you've just hit the winning run is, well, a bit odd to say the least.
I liked it when Trotty came onto bowl and decided to tie his boot laces up - and kept the batsman waiting.:thumbup:
Also think there are double standards involving Steven Finn..no-one has said undermined his 9 wickets as being against weak opposition whereas JT's innings have been cheapened by some.
Mmmm.. Middlesex v Warwickshire? He never stood a chance!!
While that is true for Finn it is good to see him getting wickets on flat pitches even if it is his home ground.
Supporter of 2012 County Relegation candidates

He is a Warwickshire player they rarely get the accolades. Even Nick Knight had his critics. They don't give us a chance,look how they go on about Ian.
Same goes for Cook, he only got 30 runs in two innings, he's an opening batsmen but no criticism is aimed towards him.
I think that if there is any geographical bias against Jonathan Trott, it is more to do with his South African origins than with his Warwickshire links.
Yet they don't seem too bothered about Morgan's Irish roots!!!
Several differences:
- Ireland is part of the British Isles and traditionally, Irish, Scottish and Welsh players have turned to England to further their international careers, going way back to Sir Timothy O'Brien but more recently players such as Dougie Brown, Simon Jones, Mike Denness.
- Ireland does not have Test status
- there's currently only one Irish player involved in the England set-up, not half a dozen
Even so, there are some who are concerned that Ireland will never advance if all their best players are picked up by England.
I just cannot believe the negative press about Trotty - it is disgraceful. I think a lot of it is about his South African roots - that self-absorbed, self-promoting idiot Michael Vaughan was waiting to put the boot in on that basis when he was first picked and now people who I thought should know better like Simon Hughes are continuing with the anti-Trott stuff. It is all astonishingly personal and unpleasant. Perhaps it's because he doesn't prance around doing the self-publicity thing - and appears to just quietly get on and do the job he's paid to do - aren't people allowed to be individials these days?
(01-06-2010, 11:45 PM)stingray Wrote: I just cannot believe the negative press about Trotty - it is disgraceful. I think a lot of it is about his South African roots - that self-absorbed, self-promoting idiot Michael Vaughan was waiting to put the boot in on that basis when he was first picked and now people who I thought should know better like Simon Hughes are continuing with the anti-Trott stuff. It is all astonishingly personal and unpleasant. Perhaps it's because he doesn't prance around doing the self-publicity thing - and appears to just quietly get on and do the job he's paid to do - aren't people allowed to be individials these days?

Looks like you and me will get on.:thumbup1:
Trott’s original selection did not conform to the preferred template of the national cricket press – shall we them the “crickerati” - for the following reasons

1. Although he’s been here longer than KP or Kieswetter, he’s just not English enough and he’s a bit too mercenary.

2. He built his reputation amassing runs against county attacks instead of appearing fully-formed in the test side after a couple of T20 cameos on Sky. This breaks the first rule of the crickerati that all county cricket is rubbish and reputations built there are worthless.

3. He is a taciturn, intense individual who works hard at this game and is not easily distracted – a very “un-English” trait.

4. He is not flashy, does not have a celebrity lifestyle and is not particularly photogenic.

5. He has an easily identifiable tic from which the crickerati can read into all kinds of pseudo-psychological claptrap.

6. Ashley Giles is a selector and Trott’s county coach. Nudge nudge wink wink. Seems Alastair Cook’s circumstances are wholly different doesn’t it?
Good post Dave C.
Think you've hit the nail on the head on many points.

Can i say as well that Abi looked a league above all the other WAGS at Lord's.
Is Abi the only 'WAG' to have a career of her own?
It' Nord alto torvo di s.
spiega con la maggior parte yorkshiremen sono bastardi miseri

I think so..Rachel Flintoff did have her own business when Freddie was playing and KP's Jessica sort of did though i'm not sure you can call being in Liberty X a career!!
Abi is probably the only WAG who actually 'works' for a living, all this while pregnant with their first child too.