Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trotty!
It will be interesting to see how the quicker bowlers perform on that pitch. It was the Bangladesh spinners that troubled England and they've chosen to go in with only one spinner.
Yes that could be a mistake, but theres a lot of pressure on Bangladesh. They failed badly against the Windies.
(11-03-2011, 01:14 PM)Paul Wrote: Nick Knight and Bob Willis not too complimentary about Trott's innings. Willis "Is it a match losing innings"

We shall see but I think they miss the point that without that partnership with Trott and Morgan England might have been looking at a score 1o 150/180. Anyway the average first innings score there is 210. The highest score chased down is 222. So I think England should still win.

Idiots.
Supporter of the 2014 County Champions
(11-03-2011, 02:18 PM)Kim Wrote:
(11-03-2011, 01:14 PM)Paul Wrote: Nick Knight and Bob Willis not too complimentary about Trott's innings. Willis "Is it a match losing innings"

We shall see but I think they miss the point that without that partnership with Trott and Morgan England might have been looking at a score 1o 150/180. Anyway the average first innings score there is 210. The highest score chased down is 222. So I think England should still win.

Idiots.

As we now know Kim, England didn't win due to some poor bowling (so many extras) and poor batting. Yet just wait for the torrent of anti Trott press tomorrow. He's the reason they might still have a chance of making it to the quarter finals. Collingwood really does need to be allowed to bow out of international cricket with some dignity - batting at no.8?!!! I also worry about Bell - he seems to have regressed.........

y

Bell has gone into his shell. Hes at his best when he plays freely. Maybe overcoaching. Look at the way Morgan played and he had hardly picked a bat up recently.
Listening to Knight and Willis Rubbish Trott's innings really annoyed me, I must admit. He top scored and built a partnership with the second top scoring batsman, I know he didn't go on to make a century, and didn't score massively fast, but he stuck in there and unlike the rest of the batting line up bar Morgan, did the job he is paid to and scored runs.

Dom.
The Bowler's Holding the batsman's Willey
1.Jonathan Trott now has more runs after 23 innings in one-day internationals than any player in history. His 1,147 runs put him ahead of both Kevin Pietersen and Viv Richards (who played before powerplays) but with a lower average and strike-rate. It is one of those shaking-head-in-wonderment statistics. Well done, Trotty.

2. Jonathan Trott has top scored in 35% of his ODIs

3. Three time his top score has been more than the combined total of the next three highest scoring batsmean.

4. Hes only failed to get to 50 10 times. England havent won a single game the last 9 times he hasnt reached 50.

He rocks. End of.

Very good, but he doesn't play for a county the media like, so the could score more runs faster than any combination of great batsmen combined and he still woudn't be praised.
It' Nord alto torvo di s.
spiega con la maggior parte yorkshiremen sono bastardi miseri

Surely Knightnurse has some residual affection for Warwickshire? Yet he is by far the worst about Trott. It comes across almost personal the way he climbs down from that fence he's sat on throughout his dreafull broadcasting career to bop Trott a good one - before resuming the banal twaddle which is his trademark.

Willis is just slighly bonkers.
You might look at this another way Kim. Nick is harder on Trott because he's played with him and knows what hes capable of. His words "He can be more expansive and hit the ball in the air, hes got all the shots, hes better than what he showed today". (Not word for word because I cant remember)

His stats are fantastic, unbeilavable, however he will never get rid of the cristism, unless he plays a less low risk game. I'm a massive fan and watch every ball as nervously as anyone.

If you look at the other leading batsmen in the Tournamanent, AB, Tendulkar, Sehwag, Dilshan they do look to play the ball in the air. Trott's way of playing is great if you have someone alongside him like Morgan. When hes batting with Bell if Bell isnt playing his more aggressive game which he did in Australia then we can get bogged down. Bell at his best is up there with Sachin, imo. I think hes just tired and I'm sure Trott is as well.

Jonathan Agnew said it all when saying they just look like they want to be home. Scheduling has been rediculous, why arrange a 7 match odi series in Australia. Money is ruining the game. I hope England can somehow refresh themselves and at least get to the quarters. Its very dissapointing having watched world cups since 1975, we have never ever won it. All the emphasis is on the ashes and thats great but the world cup is a global event involving every country and our performances in it all but for a couple of times has been very poor.

When you only have a 15 man squad, you need to have everyone trusted to be able to play. Unfortunately with have two players who look like they will never get a game. Rediculous selection policy.
That what these "experts" should be looking at - the whole vaguely shamabolic campaign. You could have named our team to start the ashes last June. You couldnt name our team V Windies till its announced. And even then you d have to guess the batting order. Maybe Flower is also tired but its all been a bit odd. Real isuse has been the bowling - I mean that Bangla number 10 had a career average of 5.6 - but gets 24 not out at a SR of 100 in a low scoring match to win the game...What the hell?
Well we saw yesterday how a bowler should bowl at the death. Anderson is shot. It was embarassing to watch. He cannot play next game. Its was very strange how they u-turned over Davies. to be honest that was as bad as they treated Ambrose. And it hasnt been vindicated either.
(13-03-2011, 01:19 PM)Paul Wrote: You might look at this another way Kim. Nick is harder on Trott because he's played with him and knows what hes capable of. His words "He can be more expansive and hit the ball in the air, hes got all the shots, hes better than what he showed today". (Not word for word because I cant remember)

His stats are fantastic, unbeilavable, however he will never get rid of the cristism, unless he plays a less low risk game. I'm a massive fan and watch every ball as nervously as anyone.

If you look at the other leading batsmen in the Tournamanent, AB, Tendulkar, Sehwag, Dilshan they do look to play the ball in the air. Trott's way of playing is great if you have someone alongside him like Morgan. When hes batting with Bell if Bell isnt playing his more aggressive game which he did in Australia then we can get bogged down. Bell at his best is up there with Sachin, imo. I think hes just tired and I'm sure Trott is as well.

Jonathan Agnew said it all when saying they just look like they want to be home. Scheduling has been rediculous, why arrange a 7 match odi series in Australia. Money is ruining the game. I hope England can somehow refresh themselves and at least get to the quarters. Its very dissapointing having watched world cups since 1975, we have never ever won it. All the emphasis is on the ashes and thats great but the world cup is a global event involving every country and our performances in it all but for a couple of times has been very poor.

When you only have a 15 man squad, you need to have everyone trusted to be able to play. Unfortunately with have two players who look like they will never get a game. Rediculous selection policy.

I really like Bell when he's on form but I'm sorry he just doesn't seem to have the concentration or application of Trotty. If the others are tired Trotty must be exhausted - he has spent far longer batting than anyone in the team over the whole of this winter but is still getting the runs, Bell isn't. Strange that Bell doesn't come in for the same criticism though from Knight - and yet he gives his wicket away far too easily too often.

Yes I agree his powers of concentration are better than any other player in the England side. I say Bell must be tired because hes played every single game since they went over to Australia. Only player to have done that, but I agree Trott must be as well. Bell did come in for critisism from Knight after the India draw but its true that Knight never has a good word to say about him. Maybe its personal who knows!
Whilst I don't think the Trott criticism has anything to do with his Warwickshire links, the critics should lay off him and face the facts. Looking at what was theoretically England's best team selection at the beginning of the tournament, 7 out of the 11 aren't performing:
Pietersen - didn't perform and has gone home
Bell - having a bad patch - may be weary
Collingwood - in decline, possibly terminally
Yardy - hasn't performed with bat or ball
Prior - hasn't delivered with bat and keeping has declined - possibly also weary bearing in mind that he played in the Australian "Big Bash" when he wasn't in the England ODI side in Australia
Anderson - hasn't performed. Looks like he wants to be in Burnley rather than Bangalore
Broad - might have done well but injured and gone home
Bearing all that in mind, it's no wonder England are struggling to qualify. So hooray for Trott and Strauss for their batting and Swann for his bowling; and let's hope that Bopara, Morgan and Tremlett can fill the gaps and at least get us to the quarters - helped by a return to form from Bell, Prior and others.
The great Ken Barrington apparently was very good at making a noise like a jet plane taking off, to indicate at the end of a long tour that he was ready to go home. But he gave 100% to the cause, from first to last. Can England's weary warriors do the same?
Lawrence Booth in the Daily mail:

As England reached the halfway stage of their latest nail-biter, news arrived in the Chittagong press box of criticism back in the Sky studios of Jonathan Trott.

Bob Willis, usually a favourite of this column for his magisterial mix of withering analysis and deadpan delivery, described Trott's innings of 67 off 99 balls a 'schoolboy', while Mark Butcher and Nick Knight were scarcely less critical.

The Top Spin has maintained for some time now that Trott (right) is judged by different standards because of his South African background, and here, it seemed, was further evidence.

At 53 for three in the 17th over, England needed to consolidate – just as they had to fight back against South Africa, when Trott and Ravi Bopara put together a patient but match-winning stand from the depths of 15 for three.

And with Eoin Morgan at his twinkle-toed best at the other end, Trott simply needed to push the singles on a sluggish track.

England lost because their bowlers couldn't prevent Bangladesh's ninth-wicket pair from adding 58.

They did not lose because of Trott
Well said, Lawrence Booth. I'm almost persuaded to buy a Daily Mail.
....and this article gives an interesting insight into his attitudes:
http://www.sportinglife.com/cricket/news...ml&BID=615
A bit worrying that Strauss and Swann both have the trots; but it's a pity some more of our batsmen don't have a touch of the Trotts in the cricketing sense.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Terry's post:
stingray
http://www.ecb.co.uk/stats/mvps/mvp,313482,EN.html

Willis, Knightnurse, Mark Butcher...:001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2:
A good interview by Trott and by Morgan for that matter. Anyway we dont want Trott's performances to amount to nothing so massive game thursday. We've watched Trott carrying the warwiskhire batting for years we dont want him doing the same for England. Good point by Booth about judging Trott by South African standards. I wish they woudl judge Morgan by Irish standards :001_tt2:

I was just wondering if Graham Smith was English what type of stick would he be getting because he's averaging 22 in the tournament and has a strike rate of 55 and he bats in the power-plays.