Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trotty!
(27-01-2011, 09:06 PM)Kim Wrote: The problem wasnt Trotts 102 in 126 balls. It was the 71 in 87 by Strauss, KP, Morgan, Bell and Cillingwood combined. Some of the comments Ive seen on Trott, strike rates etc.. verge on the utterly moronic. Our man now has the third highest ODI average of all time; youve got to be some team and a country with a rich heritage of one day success to moan about that.

And England bloody well arent.

Stephen Brenckley's intro in the Independent today - "In the parlour game to choose England's best one-day team of the moment, the one that might actually win the World Cup, it is fashionable to ignore Jonathan Trott. Too limited, too selfish, too hesitant, too slow and, they might as well say, too bald" - WTF!

I guess you won't be signing up to this, then Kim:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6425906370
....and just to add that Benj Moorehead gets it right in the Wisden Cricketer when he says: "Funny to think there were doubts about Jonathan Trott. First he was deemed too mentally fragile for Tests (answer: 1,600 runs at 61.53) then too slow for one-day cricket (answer: 707 runs at 54.38, strike rate of 73.87, and evidence that he is one of the few who can steer the side to a good total from start to finish)."
(27-01-2011, 09:17 PM)Paul Wrote: Yes I am sure they get confused by t20 scoring rates. If it was t20 it wouldn't be acceptable but 102 off 126 balls is good enough in 50 overs.

Reminds me of the idiotic group of blokes next to us at the Bangladesh v England 50 over match at Edgbaston last year when Trotty got his 100. They moaned non-stop about how slow and boring it was - at the point Engand were pushing along at over 6 an over and then made the fatal mistake of trying to go past me in the middle of the over just as Trotty was about to get his ton. Needless to say they didn't - I was outraged. Their only reference point for cricket seemed to be 20/20.
(27-01-2011, 09:32 PM)Terry Wrote:
(27-01-2011, 09:06 PM)Kim Wrote: The problem wasnt Trotts 102 in 126 balls. It was the 71 in 87 by Strauss, KP, Morgan, Bell and Cillingwood combined. Some of the comments Ive seen on Trott, strike rates etc.. verge on the utterly moronic. Our man now has the third highest ODI average of all time; youve got to be some team and a country with a rich heritage of one day success to moan about that.

And England bloody well arent.

Stephen Brenckley's intro in the Independent today - "In the parlour game to choose England's best one-day team of the moment, the one that might actually win the World Cup, it is fashionable to ignore Jonathan Trott. Too limited, too selfish, too hesitant, too slow and, they might as well say, too bald" - WTF!

I guess you won't be signing up to this, then Kim:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6425906370

Words fail me..........
They fail Brenckley too - but he keeps blathering them out onto the page..
Supporter of the 2014 County Champions
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kim's post:
stingray
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket...power.html

How did they do today when Trotty for once didnt anchor the innings.

Nore articles on Morgan, Strauss, sorry Sweaty, Prior and Colly and less on the man who does get runs plz.

After today IJLT averages 56 in the series. The other 6 in the top 7 average a collective 128.
yes the batting is mis-firing badly - whats happened to Morgan by the way -and jury definitely out on the Prior experiment
Ive heard Morgan has gone a little big time and believes his own publicity a little too much. Then again,maybe its just he hasnt played much on tour. Batting order seems wrong to me and Colly at 7 cos his bowling might be useful in India (it never has been) is silly.

I think there is too much focus - see that Berry atricle above - on how we get quick runs and not enough on how we get any runs at all.

Still plenty of time to get it right but my firm belief theyd win the WCup is wobbling.

But well done to Woakes anyway.

Thing is with your bowling being very good you dont need such big scores like India will. Will help if more than 1 batsman is in form though.

Supporter of 2012 County Relegation candidates

If we dont improve we have no chance inthe world cup. Fact is Morgan was the main reason for the improvement in our none day performances. We need him back to his best if we are going to do any good. How many of ours batters could actually say that they didnt get out to a poor shot. The agressive way of playing that has served us so well is backfiring on us.

Strauss has been terrible. You loose your opening partner and then get out next ball to a shot like that. Trott was a bit unlucky and really with his wicket I thought game was gone.

TBH what the heck are we playing a 7 match series for right after a 5 match test series and a before a very important world cup. The lads should be home resting up.
http://lastofthesummerwhine.com/rorschac...han-trott/
http://thereversesweep.typepad.com/blog/...-time.html

The lesson for a lot of journos and fans may be not to jump to conclusions, not to follow the herd - and in future listen to county supporters who actually know their players and what they can do.

Is that fair?

PS One of my favourite posts ever from another site:

Teamsheet for England in world cup:

1. Trott
2-11. To be confirmed
I think when it comes to players that come into the England side from county cricker, and they immediately judge without out having seen much of them then its very fair.

Yes forget Pieterson who hasn't performed consistently at one day level since his first tour of South Africa. Trott is the first name on the team sheet.

When you think back to 2007. I can remember a members forum when Trott was stood at the back - well it wasnt very nice for him. Its been a remarkable turn-around. What a fantastic winter for him. He's got a great attitude as well because when interviewed he said he was always looking at ways of improving. We should be very proud to have a player at Warwickshire that is performing the way he is for England. Amiss had a great tour of the Windies in 73/74 I think. Bell has had is moments too but nothing like the winter Trott has had.

Im prouder of IJL Trott than any Warwickshire test player I can remember.
Kumar Sangakarra disagrees...

hehe.
Supporter of 2012 County Relegation candidates

(02-02-2011, 07:33 PM)Kim Wrote: Im prouder of IJL Trott than any Warwickshire test player I can remember.

Kim, I couldn't agree more - it is a great time to be Trotty's no.1 fan! I listened from 4am this morning and caught his ton before I had to leave for work. Even Stephen Brenckley said on the ABC/TMS broadcast this morning that his comments doubting Trotty were 'risible' and admitted that before this game he would still not have had him as an automatic choice.

Well, wake up all you doubters, his average in Test and 1 day cricket is amazing, he is well on the way to beating Viv Richards to the fastest 1000 runs in international 1 day cricket (Richards did it in 22 innings, Trotty is on 800 plus in 17 innings) - what more do you want?

I love the fact that he is understated, doesn't hog the limelight and DELIVERS!!!!!! Man of the tour for England - easily.

Kim let's get those t-shirts printed - Trotty the lean (ish) mean run-making machine!

[-] The following 1 user Likes stingray's post:
ddb
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket...loits.html

Check out that wagon wheel for a player with a "limited range of shots."
Yes he's got all the shots in the book really. The fact is in test cricket he restricts his shots to eliminate the risks.
Can anybody draw comparisons with how Knight performed in his first 17 one games for England?
He scores of the vast majority of the balls he faces keeps the scoreboard moving and makes the fielding side work more.

The problems with the England batting at the moment is that very few of the others are making significant contributions from the other end.

It' Nord alto torvo di s.
spiega con la maggior parte yorkshiremen sono bastardi miseri