Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trotty!
Trott up to no. 3 in the world only 9pts behind the the little Indian master
http://icc-cricket.yahoo.net/
"Just behind the little Indian master" - I didn't even know that ddb was in the rankings.
Atherton in The Times yesterday..

'One who covered himself in glory was Trott, the MOM, and long after the last of the Barmy Army had left the stadium, the field empty save for two white sheets covering the end pitches and a security guard at each corner, out he came, pushing his baby in a pram.
He pushed it out to the middle, stopped at the pitch-no, he did not scrape his mark at the crease-and paused to look around & remember the scene.
It was the kind of day that he will recall to his daughter in years to come, the kind of day that will be talked about for a long time. It was a day when heroes-of the sporting kind, you understand-were made.
Yes its a great sporting story. Sports personality of the year came around too soon for him.
Happy New Year everyone by the way.

They just can't resist having a pop can they - Tom Fordyce (BBC Blog) has scored Trott as 9/10 for the 4th Test but had to make a totally irrelevant comment about his dress sense - what the hell has that got to do with his ability! Still, at least I suppose they've had to move away from psychoanalysing his mental state.............

So mad, I've signed up to Fordyce's blog and posted a comment as Hobbes1234 (stingray already taken!)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket...wrong.html
Supporter of the 2014 County Champions
Not very often a journalist admits being wrong - credit to Steve James.
LE - aka John
http://wisdencricketer.com/blogs/blog/20...-foretold/

November made me laugh
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/steve...ong-again/
I like Steve James's willingness to keep an open mind on issues.
On a different note, England seem to have been pretty clever in rotating players so that they don't become jaded; and in some cases (as in Swann and Broad having to go home with injuries) their hand has been forced. But Trott and Bell seem to have been ever-present; and I just wonder if there will be a point when they need a rest, esecially if Trott now has a bowling role.
I know I'm normally the one who goes on about how the old-timers used to play 6 days a week and bowl 1500 overs a season. But I do recognise the physical and emotional intensity of the Ashes series, the one-dayers and then straight into the World Cup, all in front of big crowds.
Trotty didn't prove any of us wrong because we all know what he's capable of in ine one day cricket. He's the man that will keep one end up and other players can bat around him. Its invaluable to have someone that can do that.

Anyway congratulations to Trott on a magnificent performance. He's shown that he can do a job with the ball as well, especially on those low flat slow wickets in India, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka. It gives England more options and they might now be able to play the extra batsman.

I just wish Bell would get some runs. He's been in great form all winter but now hes getting teh opportunities the runs haven't been coming. Lets hope he makes a big one in the next match.

I did suggest Collingwood should bat down the order and thats has worked, but its only going to work if he can do his job with the ball. which in fairness he did in this match.
Yes it was good to see Colly bounce back, great sixes. Also good to see Prior get some runs. All that on top of Trotty - just needs Bell to get his form back.
LE - aka John
Bell needs a rest, I reckon - maybe a game or two
Yes he does, Prior did well
(26-01-2011, 01:15 PM)Kim Wrote: http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/steve...ong-again/

Like the article Kim but some ridiculous comments from Joe public in response who are still criticising his run rate and questioning his right to a place in the side - they'd do better to be questioning why so many of his team mates get themselves out in an irresponsible manner leaving Trotty far too often as the rock of the innings.

On a different note, Steve James wrote another good article on the 25th Jan, this time about Steve Jones almost under the radar getting back to form in the recent T20 tournament in the Caribbean involving 2 English counties. It would be wonderful if Jones could maintain fitness and maybe do a Brett Lee and get back into the England side just for one day and T20 matches. He was a wonderful athlete, great bowler and fair play to him, he has persevered when others would have given up.

On Sky Sports Marcus Trescothick kind of had a pop at him when saying Its ok getting a hundred at a strike rate of 80 if you can then go on and score 50 in the final 10 overs. I'd say getting a hundred at the strike rate that Trott got his hundred will always put your team in a strong position as long as the others players can chip in.

I like Trescothick but I think that was a bit harsh.
Strauss said something the other day that made more sense - if one batsman scores a 100, the team will probably score 300, which should usually win the game- this talk of strike rate is a by-product of 20/20 where it does matter, in 50 over stuff its more to do with not losing wickets and volume of runs
The problem wasnt Trotts 102 in 126 balls. It was the 71 in 87 by Strauss, KP, Morgan, Bell and Cillingwood combined. Some of the comments Ive seen on Trott, strike rates etc.. verge on the utterly moronic. Our man now has the third highest ODI average of all time; youve got to be some team and a country with a rich heritage of one day success to moan about that.

And England bloody well arent.

Stephen Brenckley's intro in the Independent today - "In the parlour game to choose England's best one-day team of the moment, the one that might actually win the World Cup, it is fashionable to ignore Jonathan Trott. Too limited, too selfish, too hesitant, too slow and, they might as well say, too bald" - WTF!
Yes I am sure they get confused by t20 scoring rates. If it was t20 it wouldn't be acceptable but 102 off 126 balls is good enough in 50 overs.