Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trotty!
I thought that the tide had turned as far as JT's reputation was concerned so it was disappointing that Nasser on Sky today was peddling the line that England's collapse was Trott's fault because he scored too slowly. It seems to have escaped him that there were absolutely no time pressures and that Trott scored more (36) than Strauss, Collingwood, Morgan, Prior, Swann and Anderson put together. OK, I understand the argument that if you're well establshed at the crease, you should make it count; and Nasser has slightly better credentials than me to make expert comments. But I still thought it was an unbalanced judgement.
Heard that. Riducolous - even if you believe anyone causes a collapse ( I dont) KP was the first to fall anyway. Nasser may be forgetting it was the third day of a 5 day match not the first innings of a T20, although I agree his credentials for discussing scoring slowly at number 3 are excellent.
Supporter of the 2014 County Champions
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kim's post:
Terry
It was ashame that after grinding it out for so long that he got out in that way. Theres a lot of question marks about our batting. With Cook's hundred who is next in line to have their place questioned. Collingwood, Morgan? Theres no question in my mind Bell has to come back into the side when fit.
I think we just have to accept that Trotty will have to get a ton at least every other game to be certain of his place whereas everyone else doesn't. Wonder if he'll get a central contract next time around.
Collingwood is starting to worry me. At 34 perhaps his ability to take the middle and lower order on to a large score is declining?
Who do they drop,it won't be Pietersen,too many media friends/agency allies there,Morgan?.will it be proactive if they bring Bopara back,who looks out of his depth at test match level.Lyth in?..one for the future maybe but may be worth bringing him in for Collingwood,who is living of his Australia,South Africa grinding days of yore.
The batting needs a lift but from where and whom?
(20-08-2010, 09:22 PM)stingray Wrote: I think we just have to accept that Trotty will have to get a ton at least every other game to be certain of his place whereas everyone else doesn't. Wonder if he'll get a central contract next time around.

Or take the view that the majority of the print and broadcast media really dont matter - "sticks and stones"- as long as the selectors, Strauss and Flower are happy. The views of Stephen "im aiming to beat the televised world record for the number of croissants I can stuff in my face at one time" Brenckley (or Stephen "Troll" for short) are supremely irrelvant. His opinions are as inflated as his tum.
Despite the England coach saying on Sky:"You can't blame Jonathan Trott for our collapse," it didn't stop Nasser having another go at doing exactly that just 2 minutes later.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Terry's post:
Kim
If just one of Strauss, Collingwood, Morgan or Prior had got bogged down for 36 we'd probably have won.

Im still scratching my chinny chinny chin over how the bloke who was either second or third out in the collapse - depending on when you thought it began - was responsible for it.
"His putative rival for the number three position, Jonathan Trott, has a 2010 Test average of 46.40 and a double-hundred to boot, also against Bangladesh. But Trott is equally part of the problem. At The Oval he faced 130 balls in the second innings for his 36. In its way, it was admirably gritty, almost old-fashioned stuff but his hard graft was wasted when he carelessly got out. "

Stephen Brenckley

"In the second innings, there are no excuses whatsoever. We set up a brilliant platform through Cook and Trott and we underperformed poorly after that."

Andy Flower

England Coach 1 Croissant munching Journo 0 :001_tt2:
Yes it wasnt his best innings but it was a valuable one. To say hes the problem is silly. I think credit should be given to Pakistan for how well they bowled and if any positions should be looked at its 4,5 and 6 where runs havent been forthcoming on a regular basis.

Another point these journalists and media people are missing that Trott batted 3 and 1/2 when it out of form. Most players are incapable of doing that.
mmmmmmmmm love croissants.

Almond ones.

And chocolate ones.
Under the headline "Trott produces an innings for the ages", croissant head Brenckley wrote:

"In the annals of Test history there have been larger innings. There have been hundreds more dogged, courageous and stylish. Some of them might have been played at Lord's.

But not many. Not anywhere.

Jonathan Trott's unbeaten 149 for England on the second day of the fourth Test against Pakistan here yesterday was one of the great innings. "

Think Ill stick that on my teeshirt.

I now hate Paul Newman of the Daily Mail instead.
Paul Newman is without doubt the most anti anything to do with Warks that I have read.
Oddly enough his colleague on the same paper Lawrence Booth is 100% pro Trott :001_smile:
ALWAYS A BEAR
As its very improbable England will bat again in the 4th test the final batting stats make interesting reading

Cook 167 runs at 23.85
Strauss 155 at 25.83
Trott 404 at 67.33
Pieterson 140 at 23.33
Collingwood 119 @19.83
Morgan 175 at 29.16
Prior 234 @58.50
So Stuart Broad batting at #9 in one innings has scored more than Cook, Strauss, c'wood for figjam have all series, and he has probably scored more than Morgan all series.
It' Nord alto torvo di s.
spiega con la maggior parte yorkshiremen sono bastardi miseri

Bit like our no. 9 TB
[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul's post:
IanBear
Indeed Paul

The common characteristic is the ability and desire to make the most of their ability and to work hard to develop their games.
It' Nord alto torvo di s.
spiega con la maggior parte yorkshiremen sono bastardi miseri

Best No.3 batsmen for England since 1970 (Qual: 750 runs at No.3)

Batsman Tests Runs Average 100s/ 50s

Jonathan Trott 11 807 53.80 2/ 2 :thumbup:
David Gower 35 2619 49.41 8/ 10
Alec Stewart 20 1307 43.56 3/ 5
Nasser Hussain 40 2352 40.55 6/ 13
Michael Vaughan 24 1494 40.37 6/ 2
Mike Gatting 21 1372 40.35 4/ 6
John Edrich 16 911 39.60 1/ 7
Mark Butcher 45 2796 38.30 6/ 17
Chris Tavare 12 771 36.71 1/ 5
Derek Randall 14 768 34.90 2/ 4
Amusing that on Sky today, a "selection panel" of Alec Stewart, Derek Pringle and Darren Gough, chaired by Mike Atherton, picked a squad to go to the World Cup. They decided to leave out both Trott and Strauss. Meanwhile, on the pitch and back in the real world .....