Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trotty!
Has Steve James had a conversation with George recently by any chance? Or did his conversion happen on the road to Damascus (or Balsall Heath or Moseley)?
Hes certainly had a few run ins on his (excellent) blog over Trott with a bearsfan very close to my heart. :sneaky2:

Our hero (Trott not James) also got a very good write up in the Times while Gower is now suggesting he (Trott not Gower) should open instead of Cook.

The worms have turned.
Supporter of the 2014 County Champions
i agree thier seems to be a bit of a warming to trotty on the part of the media

nice to see Cook, who for reasons unfathomable to me seemed to have been given the 'undroppable' label, being mooted for the axe.

if not Trotty I'd think hard about Stephen Davies opening, myself
Eternal Optimist
Mike Atherton has boiled it all down to: "He's a good player - he gets runs."
(09-08-2010, 12:29 PM)Terry Wrote: Mike Atherton has boiled it all down to: "He's a good player - he gets runs."

As an international average of 91.57 for this summer would suggest.

Media :001_tt2:
Yeah ............ sadly about the only time we'll see him at Edgbaston in the next year or two is in an England shirt.
Perhaps Steve J has a big enough character to admit when he has got something wrong, a quality quite rare in some areas of the media.
It' Nord alto torvo di s.
spiega con la maggior parte yorkshiremen sono bastardi miseri

Tall Bear - I agree.
It's amazing how a media bandwagon builds up, as it did anti-Trott and then the opposite starts to develop. In the post-match interviews, Atherton asked Andrew Strauss if Jonathan Trott was under-estimated and got the reply: "Not by us!". Strauss called Trott's batting "serene" which is a good word to describe the calm, unhurried way he goes about things.
(08-08-2010, 08:49 AM)Kim Wrote: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/crick...46588.html

At last - something vaguely sympathetic towards our man whose 50 passed largely unnoticed. Like the collapse of 8 wickets for 74 that came with his dismissal.

BTW Trotty averages 84 in all forms of international cricket this summer. Strauus, Cook, Morgan, Colly, Kp etc.. eat your hearts out.

The article is a bit damning with faint praise isn't it?!!! We need to get those we love Trott t-shirts sorted.........
I've got to lie down - Michael Vaughan and Mark Nicholsa are praising Trott on Channel 5 highlights. How fickle are these 'experts'!
I thought he was the most accomplished batsman in the match..Forget him replacing Cook as opener, hes the number 3 batsman we have been looking for for years. Bell should bat at 5 or 6. If we have to drop Cook bring in Carberry or someone to replace him and leave Morgan out.
Bell should bat at 4 - the present number 4 should drop down the order.
LE - aka John
I cant see that happening LE.
No nor me - Cook and KP are undropable.
If Bell (or Trot) had had the run of scores either of these two have had the knives would have been out long ago by the media and ECB
LE - aka John
I wouldn't say Cook is undropable but his record of 12 centuries merits them sticking with him for a bit. In fairness Bell has also been given every chance...
Simon Hughes in the DT:

The batsman of the match, Jonathan Trott, did benefit from the Pakistanis’ generosity, but only once. He was dropped on eight in England’s first innings, a regulation catch to first slip. From there on he barely made a false move on a pitch where batting was always a struggle. From his rather protracted deliberations before the ball is delivered onwards he exudes permanence at the crease.

He is a robust, reassuring presence, striding into line and bringing the bat down secure and straight. There is a sureness of movement and a certainty of stroke that makes him the most consistent batsman in the team.

On Monday he soothed nerves after Cook’s dismissal, and calmly set about accumulating the necessary runs, gliding and clipping anything offline with silky timing. He contributed the most runs in the match for once out.

A year into his Test career he has a better record (923 runs average 51.27) than any regular England No 3 since Ted Dexter, who averaged 51.81 in that position. He is a different sort of player to Lord Ted, of course, less cavalier, more mechanical, but he has a solid defence, a noticeable composure and a fluency on the leg-side that has bowlers cursing their ill-discipline.

He has taken on a job of enormous responsibility with considerable elan. A No 3 sometimes has to metamorphose as a third opener if an early wicket falls. Equally he needs a capacity to maintain momentum if the openers prosper. He is part repair man, part racer. It is the pivotal position.

Anxious No 3s destabilise a dressing room. Trott sits calmly as he waits to bat, watching the game in an interested but detached sort of way rather than scrutinising it too closely and becoming uptight. A batsman who lives and breathes every ball before going in can be mentally exhausted by the time he takes guard.

Trott, who largely because of Cook’s recent failings, has often been in against the new ball, seems to strike the right balance between resolution and rejuvenation. Whatever Cook’s fate, the promotion of Trott to open should be resisted.

:thumbup:
Hooray !!!!!! :thumbup:
(10-08-2010, 04:32 PM)Kim Wrote: Simon Hughes in the DT:

The batsman of the match, Jonathan Trott, did benefit from the Pakistanis’ generosity, but only once. He was dropped on eight in England’s first innings, a regulation catch to first slip. From there on he barely made a false move on a pitch where batting was always a struggle. From his rather protracted deliberations before the ball is delivered onwards he exudes permanence at the crease.

He is a robust, reassuring presence, striding into line and bringing the bat down secure and straight. There is a sureness of movement and a certainty of stroke that makes him the most consistent batsman in the team.

On Monday he soothed nerves after Cook’s dismissal, and calmly set about accumulating the necessary runs, gliding and clipping anything offline with silky timing. He contributed the most runs in the match for once out.

A year into his Test career he has a better record (923 runs average 51.27) than any regular England No 3 since Ted Dexter, who averaged 51.81 in that position. He is a different sort of player to Lord Ted, of course, less cavalier, more mechanical, but he has a solid defence, a noticeable composure and a fluency on the leg-side that has bowlers cursing their ill-discipline.

He has taken on a job of enormous responsibility with considerable elan. A No 3 sometimes has to metamorphose as a third opener if an early wicket falls. Equally he needs a capacity to maintain momentum if the openers prosper. He is part repair man, part racer. It is the pivotal position.

Anxious No 3s destabilise a dressing room. Trott sits calmly as he waits to bat, watching the game in an interested but detached sort of way rather than scrutinising it too closely and becoming uptight. A batsman who lives and breathes every ball before going in can be mentally exhausted by the time he takes guard.

Trott, who largely because of Cook’s recent failings, has often been in against the new ball, seems to strike the right balance between resolution and rejuvenation. Whatever Cook’s fate, the promotion of Trott to open should be resisted.

I love him!!! At last they're all getting it! What a turnround........

:thumbup:
I'm pleased the press and media are coming around but I wouldnt get too carried away because we all know how fickle they are. I believe this winter will define Trott's international career. If England win and he plays his role as englands no.3 then he will be set fair for a long international career. Glad to see Simon Hughes agrees with me that moving him up the order should be resisted.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/oliverbrett/2...for_e.html