Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trotty!
(17-07-2010, 12:10 PM)C-P Wrote: Paul i don't think he would get as much if he was at Surrey, but:

i think there are other factors as well though, people:

Trott is (a) not the most stylish batsman in the 'classical sense' indeed some shots he plays quite regularly are a bit 'ugly'... that is, if you can see runs being added and think they are ugly for not fitting some textbook form (b) has some quirks at the crease which add time to the game and make him seem like the Peter Ebdon of cricket © he's definitely not the best interview or the most ummmm loquacious individual

all of the above make it easy for the likes of (say) Michael Vaughan- stylish classy batsman, something of a 'natural' media operator- to disparage Trott

i certainly do not think he is solely being discriminated against for cricketing reasons.

One of the reasons I like Trotty is because he is the complete opposite to the likes of Michael Vaughan - at least on the self-promoting, always talking drivel for the sake of it front! You're right though, these days there is an expectation that even cricketers can play the media game.
(17-07-2010, 12:10 PM)C-P Wrote: Paul i don't think he would get as much if he was at Surrey, but:

i think there are other factors as well though, people:

Trott is (a) not the most stylish batsman in the 'classical sense' indeed some shots he plays quite regularly are a bit 'ugly'... that is, if you can see runs being added and think they are ugly for not fitting some textbook form (b) has some quirks at the crease which add time to the game and make him seem like the Peter Ebdon of cricket © he's definitely not the best interview or the most ummmm loquacious individual

all of the above make it easy for the likes of (say) Michael Vaughan- stylish classy batsman, something of a 'natural' media operator- to disparage Trott

i certainly do not think he is solely being discriminated against for cricketing reasons.

Not sure I agree with that. He may not be as stylish as Ian Bell but he certainly has some classical shots like his off drive and staright drive.
Thought he batted very well this morning and gave a few people a few lessons in appreciating that hes isnt some sort of crab at the crease but is actually a good stroke matter.

Unfortunately we will now have to endure speculation that his place is the one under threat because of Morgan for the rest of the summer. Im with Warne on this:

Boot Cook.
Supporter of the 2014 County Champions
Yes that would mean he has to open though Kim... Long way to go. TBH theres nothing to fear about teh aussies so Morgan might well do well over there... Be
Bell back at 3 then too, should bat KP at 6 lol.
Supporter of 2012 County Relegation candidates

(29-07-2010, 09:15 PM)Paul Wrote: Yes that would mean he has to open though Kim... Long way to go. TBH theres nothing to fear about teh aussies so Morgan might well do well over there... Be

Shame we didnt sign Moore then - Trott would be an experienced virtual opener by now.....:001_tt2:
what do you mean kim, he is already. I've been using that as an excuse for Jims form this season. After all hes not an opening bat but hes normally in after 3 or 4 overs.
DDs just made me laugh by pointing out that on another site the two of us have argued Trott's case v Bopara, Rudolph and a variety of other pretenders.

Now Morgan's arrived and we've got no argument.

So we've turned on Cook, hoping noone will notice.
Unfortunately if they drop cook they will bring in an opener so lets just look at it as round one to Morgan but there are a few more rounds to go yet.
Read on another forum though, Morgan was out, on around 30 if Pakistan still had a referral, to a poor shot, wasnt he?

Suppose its the way it goes, no one who didnt watch the India Sri Lanka will know that Sachin was dropped on like 29 by their keeper and just the 200 runs he got :D

thats the way it goes isnt it. I was told Trott was plum lbw but not given. was that true?
I think Pakistan had run out of referrals by then but he didnt make much more cos he got a good ball.

"Trott was bowled by one that kept low in Gul's next over. He has done nothing wrong for England but there was the sense as he trudged back to the pavilion musing on the unfairness of it all that he was looking over his shoulder." - Stephen Brenckley in the Independent.

Possibly in the direction of the press box thinking "Brenckley, you are a plonker"?
Charlie Colvile another plonker said he was playing for his place, needs big runs. Leave him alone PLEASE!!!
T20 Fantasy League Champion 2010
Trotty's not the only one who gets some stick - not everyone love Alastair Cook:
http://www.cricket365.com/news/story/629...ok-crusade
I feel sorry for Cook. Hes dreadfull to watch, has a technical problem he cant solve as well as a poor ashes record - but, apart from Aussies (and oddly New Zealand), he averages at least 40 against everyone else and has three 100s and two 50s in his last 8 tests. I also feel that you couldnt really blame anyone in the top order for failing in the last test. Hes an under appreciated cricketer.

However , as a batsman has to go, and our Trotty is involved, Alastair can do one.

Cook OUT!
(04-08-2010, 10:44 AM)Kim Wrote: I feel sorry for Cook. Hes dreadfull to watch, has a technical problem he cant solve as well as a poor ashes record - but, apart from Aussies (and oddly New Zealand), he averages at least 40 against everyone else and has three 100s and two 50s in his last 8 tests. I also feel that you couldnt really blame anyone in the top order for failing in the last test. Hes an under appreciated cricketer.

However , as a batsman has to go, and our Trotty is involved, Alastair can do one.

Cook OUT!

I'm not a fan of cook but he is 25 and has already scored 12 test hundreds so he must be a pretty good player. However my loyalties lie with out Warwickshire boys. I think KP'S form maybe a bigger area of concern.
4 hundreds against West Indies mind, 2 against Bangladesh.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/crick...46588.html

At last - something vaguely sympathetic towards our man whose 50 passed largely unnoticed. Like the collapse of 8 wickets for 74 that came with his dismissal.

BTW Trotty averages 84 in all forms of international cricket this summer. Strauus, Cook, Morgan, Colly, Kp etc.. eat your hearts out.
"While Pietersen had been occupying centre stage, however unconvincingly, Jonathan Trott was tootling along unobtrusively. It is time to own up: he has been well and truly underestimated, not least by your columnist. It appeared that his game and temperament had been disembowelled as the South Africa tour reached its conclusion last winter. "Something happened, but I can't tell you what," was the word received. It was overemphasised. His demise was greatly exaggerated.

Trott is a fine batsman, a natural timer of a cricket ball; the on-driven four off Umar Gul to pass fifty on Saturday was especially smooth in its execution, better even than the delightfully clipped four through mid-wicket off Amir on Friday. He knows his game and its limitations. And, pleasingly, he has scaled back his superstitions at the crease.

Once he could easily have been nicknamed the 'human rain delay', the moniker given to Mike Hargrove, the former Cleveland Indians first baseman, because of his time-consuming rituals. No longer. His quirks go largely unnoticed. His dismissal on Saturday may have been rather tame, but he had played his part. And he will again."

Steve James - a bloody good journo who just got better - in the Telgraph today.