Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Aston Villa, and other football teams!
(07-01-2018, 10:55 AM)littlepete Wrote: LE i thought you would be more concerned about staying in the championship than the FA Cup i would have thought the extra games would not be good.

It's the novelty effect Pete, they know what relegation is all about, winning the FAcup however is completely alien to them
I understand our pedantic troll is going to change his name to Littlepete-rborough !

Our trophy hunt is for the League Cup - now let's see which team won it last and which teams have we beat to win the trophy - I know Arsenal was one now which was the other team......................
LE - aka John
Blimey, West Brom have won a game! I had almost forgotten what it felt like
Paul fondled my onion bags.
(08-01-2018, 11:14 AM)Lilly Wrote: Blimey, West Brom have won a game! I had almost forgotten what it felt like

Felt that with with Blues - but like the number 8 waited ages and then 3 have come one after another !!
LE - aka John
(08-01-2018, 01:57 AM)narsty simon Wrote:
(07-01-2018, 10:55 AM)littlepete Wrote: LE i thought you would be more concerned about staying in the championship than the FA Cup i would have thought the extra games would not be good.

It's the novelty effect Pete, they know what relegation is all about, winning the FAcup however is completely alien to them

Its alien to all of us Simon. I am used to finals and semi finals but never seen Villa win a cup. Blues had their big chance in 74 I think when the screwed up against Fulham at Hillsborough. Anyways seen with Arsenal the big teams don't care anymore. Getting in playoffs is more important than winning the cup now.

I'll give credit to Steve Bruce for arresting the freefall that Villa were getting into and I'll accept that injuries (especially Kodjia) haven't helped this year but... The squad are still a million miles off Premiership standard and many of the players are at that stage in their career where they aren't going to get any better. If we did get through the playoffs, a ton of money would need to be spent on strengthening the squad (again). I would have taken a Cup run over qualifying for the playoffs this year.
(08-01-2018, 12:28 PM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: I'll give credit to Steve Bruce for arresting the freefall that Villa were getting into and I'll accept that injuries (especially Kodjia) haven't helped this year but... The squad are still a million miles off Premiership standard and many of the players are at that stage in their career where they aren't going to get any better. If we did get through the playoffs, a ton of money would need to be spent on strengthening the squad (again). I would have taken a Cup run over qualifying for the playoffs this year.

I don't follow football like I used to years back, with the amount of money in the game having seriously put me off, but what are the Villa fans views on the current state of play. I see in that post that the squad isn't up to standard, which I find bizarre really considering the amount of money that Dr. Tony has invested into the playing squad. Has he not spent over £100m in the last three transfer windows? With that level of investment I would expect to see them challenging the Wolves for top spot (who I was quite amused to see that despite their fans thinking they would be challenging for Europe were they in the Premier League, they could not beat the worst team in the league on their home ground on Saturday). 

Appointing RDM was an aberration, any Albion fan could have told you that, but it seems a lot of money has been spent on players who just are not up to playing for a club of that size, Hogan, McCormick etc.
Paul fondled my onion bags.
Er, yes. In particular I have never understood Bruce's desire for right backs - adding Bree, de Laet and El Mohammedy when we already had Alan Hutton.
(08-01-2018, 12:34 PM)Lilly Wrote:
(08-01-2018, 12:28 PM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: I'll give credit to Steve Bruce for arresting the freefall that Villa were getting into and I'll accept that injuries (especially Kodjia) haven't helped this year but... The squad are still a million miles off Premiership standard and many of the players are at that stage in their career where they aren't going to get any better. If we did get through the playoffs, a ton of money would need to be spent on strengthening the squad (again). I would have taken a Cup run over qualifying for the playoffs this year.

I don't follow football like I used to years back, with the amount of money in the game having seriously put me off, but what are the Villa fans views on the current state of play. I see in that post that the squad isn't up to standard, which I find bizarre really considering the amount of money that Dr. Tony has invested into the playing squad. Has he not spent over £100m in the last three transfer windows? With that level of investment I would expect to see them challenging the Wolves for top spot (who I was quite amused to see that despite their fans thinking they would be challenging for Europe were they in the Premier League, they could not beat the worst team in the league on their home ground on Saturday). 

Appointing RDM was an aberration, any Albion fan could have told you that, but it seems a lot of money has been spent on players who just are not up to playing for a club of that size, Hogan, McCormick etc.

How many players in the vila squad are epl standard. Grealish, Adomah, Snodgrass if deal made permanent, Kodjia, Chester. I cant think of any more! We have seen how the prices of epl players have escalated this season. You cant just spend either because of ffp. So its a long road back for Villa but the last thing we need is another season in the championship. I dotn know when we will loose the parachute payments. Get up survive and just build gradually otherwise we become a championship club like Forest and Shef Wednesday

That's some apartment Cotterill's bought, 1up4down
The City is ours yet again 2nd in the table and flying 7 wins on the trott and to top it off beating the noses is such a great feeling.
Keep Calm i am a Warwickshire Bear
[-] The following 1 user Likes littlepete's post:
narsty simon
The bragging rights belong to the team from the lower grounds
(11-02-2018, 05:25 PM)littlepete Wrote: The City is ours yet again  2nd in the table and flying 7 wins on the trott and to top it off beating the noses is such a great feeling.

Not a good week for the noses Pete, out of  theFA Cup,   beaten by the team from the lower grounds and 6 goals conceded in 2games
its all gone quiet in small heath.
narsty simon
It's gone remarkably quiet on here too
[-] The following 1 user Likes narsty simon's post:
littlepete
Just knew it would be Pete and Simon making a rare contribution to this forum.

It's taken an ex-Blues manager to get you where you are - just remember.
LE - aka John
(11-02-2018, 10:24 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: Just knew it would be Pete and Simon making a rare contribution to this forum.

i do believe its been 11 years since he managed the noses, but ok you can enjoy our glory LE its still oh so quiet.
Leicester Exile
(11-02-2018, 10:24 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: Just knew it would be Pete and Simon making a rare contribution to this forum.

If you hadn't sacked Gary Rowett you may have been up there too
(11-02-2018, 10:50 PM)narsty simon Wrote:

Definitely agree with you on that one - in fact today's game may not have taken place as we may well have been in the EPL
LE - aka John
(12-02-2018, 12:50 AM)Leicester Exile Wrote:
(11-02-2018, 10:50 PM)narsty simon Wrote:

Definitely agree with you on that one - in fact today's game may not have taken place as we may well have been in the EPL

.now you are living in cuckoo land