Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Aston Villa, and other football teams!
(17-01-2011, 06:10 PM)Paul Wrote: Is the Young thing just a rumour?

Could be - but was from an agent and reported by a very good source. Sunderland will use the Bent money to get Michael Owen and Charles N'Zobia.
Supporter of the 2014 County Champions
(17-01-2011, 05:49 PM)Kim Wrote:
(17-01-2011, 05:43 PM)ddb Wrote: Apparently going to sell Young to finance it...

Shhhhhhhh. :sneaky2:

:001_tt2:

Downing to Pool was rumoured last week as well I think, but the Young thing sounds the best bet - 20 Million is decent business for Villa.
Supporter of 2012 County Relegation candidates

It would make Houllier look a bit of a chump if he sells either.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football...330327.stm
Media now saying O'Meill has ruled himself out of West Ham job. I wish they would make up their minds
http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham...-28003739/

looks like they will keep hold of Young and Downing.

Feel sad for West Ham fans. The whole thing with Grant and Oneill is embarassing. Gold, Sullivan and Brady are running the club with no dignity. Looks like you are stuck with Grant now and unfortunately certain relegation. Oh well at least you will have a trip to wembley.
So why did O'neil leave?

(18-01-2011, 11:40 AM)Paul Wrote: http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham...-28003739/

looks like they will keep hold of Young and Downing.

Feel sad for West Ham fans. The whole thing with Grant and Oneill is embarassing. Gold, Sullivan and Brady are running the club with no dignity. Looks like you are stuck with Grant now and unfortunately certain relegation. Oh well at least you will have a trip to wembley.

None at all. Did you know they withdrew the season tickets that have always been given to former managers John Lyall's wife and son to save money - without even telling them? Disgusting people.
Nobody really knows, but its seems the relationship between him and Lerner broke down irretrievebaly. My belief is the money was always there but he lost faith with Oneill with his signings, when he bought so many players but didn't pick them. When you spend 8 million on a player pay him £45000 a week and dont pick him it would piss the chairman off. There were too many of those type of signings.

Its a results buisiness though and a relegation battle is not what was expected. So I think Houllier needs to pick up results quickly otherwise he could be on borrowed time.

Houll has won 3 games hasnt he? BTW Bent has 81 prem goals since Aug 2005. Only Rooney and Dogba, with 82, have more.
He won at Wolves and at home against Blackpool and West Brom. Quite some record by Bent. The way Rooney and Drogba are going i can see Bent overtaking them in goalscoring terms. I dont rate him as a footballer but its like signing a 50 wickets a season man.

If the deal does go through it would be massive for Villa and a real statement of intent after everybody had been writing us off as a selling club. Its a top 4 signing.
(18-01-2011, 01:20 PM)Paul Wrote: He won at Wolves and at home against Blackpool and West Brom. Quite some record by Bent. The way Rooney and Drogba are going i can see Bent overtaking them in goalscoring terms. I dont rate him as a footballer but its like signing a 50 wickets a season man.

If the deal does go through it would be massive for Villa and a real statement of intent after everybody had been writing us off as a selling club. Its a top 4 signing.

Grant > Houlier

Esp when you consider who hes played for - and who theyve played for.

I also hadnt realised that neitrher Agbonglahor or Carew have scored in the laegue this season.

Add it all together and the deal - and even the fee - makes sense, esp as you havent spent much of the Milner money have you?
Dunno about that, look up how many chances he has had to score all those goals.( I've got to go now but I'll find it later)

He's a good striker, nothing more, nothing less, he takes all Sunderland penalties and has become 3rd striker of Welbeck, Gyan and himself which is probably why he wants to jump ship

I think Ireland cost 8 Mil. Agbonlahor has had is injury problems but he hasn't been as sharp this season. Carew is on his way out. I don't know about Houllier. He seems quite an inteligent type of person, very laid back. He did ok at Liverpool. Grant did well at Chelsea, took over an impossible situation at Portsmouth and a difficult one at West Ham so difficult to judge jim really.
(18-01-2011, 01:43 PM)ddb Wrote: Dunno about that, look up how many chances he has had to score all those goals.( I've got to go now but I'll find it later)

He's a good striker, nothing more, nothing less, he takes all Sunderland penalties and has become 3rd striker of Welbeck, Gyan and himself which is probably why he wants to jump ship

When he got 31 in 68 games for Charlton id be surprised if he got more chances than Rooney and Drogba at Man U and Chelsea. whatever the stats say. That was when we messed up on signing him.
I would too. United and Chelsea surely create more chances than Sunderland. Hes still top scorer in the league for Sunderland this seaon with 8 goals, so hardly third striker. 24 league goals last season... Come on thats top notch.... He has missed Jones tbf this season.
Sunderland had 32 shots at Blackpool when they lost 2-0...And Bent has scored 1 in 8 but that's his form not his quality. He has scored all those goals for Sunderland cos he played up top on his own mainly so gets nearly every chance they make. This season Bruce has switched it to accommodate Welbeck.

He's a good striker and signing, but I was getting at the top 4 remark - he's not a top 4 striker and if it's 24 million, that's way too much.

Its one game. The 2nd statement is a bit stupid because it doesn't matter whether you play on your own up front or not you still have to put the ball in the back of the net and it sometimes means less chances.

My point wasn't that hes a top 4 striker. That type of signing for that type of money is a big 4 type signing. Not something you associate with Viila. If its too much I dont know. James Milner has looked very average at Man City and cost 26 million. How many goals has Torres scored in the last two seasons, yet his value would be a lot more than that. Rooney is costing united how much money a year and what is he doing at the moment. All I'll say is that if he gets 24 goals a season for Villa then its money well spent.

West Ham are after Mbokoni, striker who has one goal this season in the French league, and BA, striker who as one leg shorter than the other. :thumbup:

(18-01-2011, 05:38 PM)Kim Wrote: West Ham are after Mbokoni, striker who has one goal this season in the French league, and BA, striker who as one leg shorter than the other. :thumbup:

:thumbup:

The second statement while being crap I agree - he is suited to a 4-5-1 for sure as his link up with a second striker is average at best.

24 Million just seems too much when essentially you're getting a goalscorer who will leave after a few years.

Always had Villa down as a hard working team, dont know if Bent is that but in spite of that will probably keep you up, just there are cheaper options.