Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Aston Villa, and other football teams!
Tragic news about Dalian Atkinson. Don't know about the use of tasers but there should be medical backup there when the police are forced to use them.

Without reference to this particular case.... I suppose its not always possible to know when a taser is going to be used and that medical backup needs to be there.
(16-08-2016, 11:34 AM)Warleybear Wrote: Without reference to this particular case.... I suppose its not always possible to know when a taser is going to be used and that medical backup needs to be there.

It is reported that the family called the police because he tried to strangle his elderly father. Not sure what the police are supposed to do. I suppose asking each suspect whether they have a medical condition before they (the police) act when under potential threat is not going to be practical!
Yes but its not a question of whether its practical to ask the suspect whether he has a medical condition or not. its the fact there have been too many deaths now caused by taser guns that they should be medical backup on hand in case something goes wrong. Anyway they tasered him at least 3 times and used excessive force.

(16-08-2016, 12:32 PM)Paul Wrote: Yes but its not a question of whether its practical to ask the suspect whether he has a medical condition or not. its the fact there have been too many deaths now caused by taser guns that they should be medical backup on hand in case something goes wrong. Anyway they tasered him at least 3 times and used excessive force.

How do you know it was excessive force - is that his family's version?
So the alternatives available to the police are batons, truncheons and physical force. Any one of those could result in a death if there is a medical problem . And that leaves just guns which is an almost certain death result.
LE - aka John
On a happier note what a weekend for local football. With Blues, Villa and Albion all winning and even Cov and Walsall managed draws. I don't suppose there will be many such weekends over the next few months.
LE - aka John
Yes another win tonight for Villa will do nicely

(16-08-2016, 01:42 PM)Paul Wrote: Yes another win tonight for Villa will do nicely

Only the Villa ?
LE - aka John
(16-08-2016, 01:42 PM)Paul Wrote: Yes another win tonight for Villa will do nicely

Don't get carried away.  I know it must be hard to control your emotions after experiencing an actual win against the might Rotterham.   Wink
Talking of wins.... Didn't we do well in the Olympics. However, I don't think the B postcodes produced one medal winner? When it comes to sport... Outside Edgbaston, the second city should hang its head in shame. Recently the area just floats along with seemingly no aspirations.
There were medal winners in the midlands though. Didn't see much of it but hope Farah wins sports personality of the year and not Murray again. What he has achieved is truly extraudinary. Best British athlete ever by a long way.

I've got mixed feelings about the Olympic success because of the amount of money we throw at it. Yes you still have to deliver even if you are well provided for and our athletes did deliver. And yes there will always be differences in the availability of resources. An athlete from Tuvalu will never have the backing that one of ours does. I get a bit uneasy though when the countries that claim they can't compete with our level of funding are places like Australia, Germany and France. Have we gone too far towards just buying medals?
For once we have been brutal in winning..... Failure doesn't get funded.

Germany chooses to spend their money on other things..... which I'm sure they and mama merkal get a lot of pleasure from?
(22-08-2016, 04:59 PM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: I've got mixed feelings about the Olympic success because of the amount of money we throw at it. Yes you still have to deliver even if you are well provided for and our athletes did deliver. And yes there will always be differences in the availability of resources. An athlete from Tuvalu will never have the backing that one of ours does. I get a bit uneasy though when the countries that claim they can't compete with our level of funding are places like Australia, Germany and France. Have we gone too far towards just buying medals?

I'm not sure it's all about buying medals. It's about increasing participation in sport, and if you increase participation then the chances are that you're going to improve the quality. OK sure, the sports that stand the best chance of medals get the most funding but I'm not sure that's a terrible thing. About three quarters of UK Sport's funding comes from the National Lottery, which seems a pretty good use of this money to me?
Proud to be a Bear
Yes it is good to see lottery money being put to such good use. Far better than some of the trendy left-wing obscure "charities" reported in the past.
My only concern is that a load of "our" money is spent helping someone get a gold medal who then goes on to become a millionaire on the back of that success. No problem in seeing someone achieve financial success but something should be in place for them to have to repay some of the investment.
LE - aka John
Participation is partly what concerns me. It didn't increase after the London Olympics despite all the promises and if competing at the highest level requires very expensive training and equipment then it's not going to. Don't get me wrong, I much prefer it when we win dozens of medals to just a handful but I think we should beware of starting an arms race where only those willing to lob loads of cash at it stand a chance of winning.
As soon as winning American athletes get back, the IRS send out a bill..... you pay for the gain .... even the medal has a physical value.

Slightly off track...... ive just got back from a weekend visiting friends in Germany. ... thank goodness we live here. They are talking about hording food and bringing back conscription.... not a happy place at all. Not sure if the news here will report it..... but the winds of change in europe are brewing. ... fear is sadly afoot. We should appreciate what we have... even if its cr@p football teams.....
Germany's fortune may well change if they have the courage to get rid of Merkel who has done so much harm to the ideals of a European Union.
LE - aka John
At some point I must look to see how Villa and Birmingham are getting on in the championship. They must have played around ten percent of their games already?