Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Aston Villa, and other football teams!
Its a different type of following that goes to football though isn't it?
I know, but I still don't understand after all these years.

Anyway lets see how many of them go to the 2018 world cup .... never to be seen again!!!!!!!!!!!
LE - aka John
England miss out to Russia. How on earth can Russia stage a better world cup than england.. Its rigged with bribes and corruption isnt it?

Unfortunately young men are always going to have vent their aggression in some way. Football is the sport which has the biggest live following of young men so although we might control it, its always there waiting to erupt.
Russia and Qatar LOL!

Supporter of 2012 County Relegation candidates

One paper today said Blatters ambition is to win the Nobel Peace Prize and that a WC to Russia would help. God knows why.

Ridiculous decisions. Means a minimum of 4 wcs without one in Western Europe.
Supporter of the 2014 County Champions
(02-12-2010, 06:18 PM)Paul Wrote: Unfortunately young men are always going to have vent their aggression in some way. Football is the sport which has the biggest live following of young men so although we might control it, its always there waiting to erupt.

But Paul until the 1970s it never was like that. It used to be the same as rugby and cricket - home and away supporters mingled together.
LE - aka John
Yes thats true LE.
Looks like we are going to be joining you in a relegation battle Kim. Yesterdays first half performance was the worst I can ever remember. Its a bit early to blame Houllier but the players have lost confidence and not playing for each other. We could point to injuries but who do we have to come back in: Coker, Heskey, Sidwell and Petrov. They are hardly going to be turning our season around.
Wasnt good was it? Not sure Houlier is any more inspirational than Avram Can't.

But you cant not invest in the summer then have injuries and still hope to progress.
No but you wouldn't expect to go from top 6 to relegation canditates either. The experienced players are letting us down more than the youngsters.
(07-12-2010, 01:40 PM)Paul Wrote: No but you wouldn't expect to go from top 6 to relegation canditates either. The experienced players are letting us down more than the youngsters.

True.

Whereas if you finish with 35 points, hire the manager and coaching staff plus a few of the players who amassed 28, and then do the one thing everyone says you shouldnt - invest your limited money on players based on a couple of decent World Cup performances (bad players who end up on the bench) - you get exactly what anyone would expect.

The unfit Carlton Cole is getting a fearfull roasting on the message boards - as is Grant for picking him - for his performance on Sunday. General view is that we lost at Sunderland because Piquionne didnt start.

This is the Piquionne who has one away league goal all season. How desperate can you get?
I thought West Ham were ok sunday. I like Spectre - he has a go and was brilliant against United. Its a funny game because Cole was brilliant against united but poor against Sunderland but if hes carrying an injury that explains that. I think West Ham are showing signs of improvement from their woeful display at Villa. Villa have gone the other way... I think its more of a worry for us and with Anfield like a morgue you could hear the villa players swearing at each other.
Spectors an OK squad player but is off to Germany on a free in January. He was the fans hate figure. Now its Carlton. Problem for Cole and all of them is how few chances we create - not a single real one in the whole game on Sunday. The midfield are all defensive players so we dont get hammered but the back four are all centrebacks so we let in at least one. And are toast.
Yes I agree with you to a point but fans don't turn on players if they miss a few chances or not getting chances only when it looks like they are not giving their all - and also if they are rubbish as well. Cole gives the appearance of not being bothered. You say he's injured but it must have been playing injured all his career then. His touch was awful against Sunderland... He has all the attributes of being a top class centre-forward but doesn't fufill his potential. Too many simularities with Heskey really and Heskey's career is almost over. Cole's career could go the same way as hes getting towards his late 20s now. Shame but I don't think he will ever be the player he could have been. When he was on loan at Villa he was sensational for the first two games then went missing the rest of the season.
His knees have never been 100% right which is why we got him so cheap. He was the one player who benefitted from Zola who used to give him individual tuition. This and being fit meant that half way through last year hed scored 20 goals in 36 games - for West Ham for heven's sake. He was awesome. Then his knee went again, Zola went (and Carltons gone public on what he thinks of Grant) and we undermined him by agreeing to sell him to Liverpool on deadline day for 10 million - but we ran out of time. Presumably this proposed deal was why we signed Grant favourite Piquionne - Carlton without goals - which has also affected him. We dont have much talent at the club so its criminal how we are wasting his IMO.

Anway hell be off in Jan - probaly with Upson - which will give me someone to play alongside Defoe in my England team of former hammers :thumbup:
excuses, it didn't stop Paul Mcgrath being a great player :sneaky2:
A much needed win. I think we have missed Allbrighton the last few games - He wasn't ready against Liverpool. Hogg is steadily growing into a decent premier league player game by game. I'm glad Houllier made the decision to drop Dunne and bring Cuellar in. No Ireland on bench - hope he wasnt injured because theres no doubt we should just get rid of in January. Swap for Scott Parker...
Great performance yesterday - given the time, temperature and general malaise that we all experience at the Liverpool game on Monday night...

IMHO we just had something resembling a first team squad yesterday - Albrighton, Heskey, Cuellar and Lihaj made an enormous difference. Thank heavens that Houllier finally listened to what the fans have been telling him for the last 10 games... anyway I can see us doing well against Wigan and then getting something out of the Spurs / Man City and Chelse games... so not as down as I was a week ago.

BTW the Villa fans were awesome at Liverpool the other night - new chant... "Lets pretend we've scored a goal"... followed by frantic celebrations and then the other chants that we would have rolled out if we had scored that goal. By the time we'd got to "3-9" we'd been through every chant in the book and the Liverpool stewards were in hysterics.

Also then followed by "it's just like watching Brasil"... cracking support given what we were watching.
(12-12-2010, 11:55 AM)Paul Wrote: A much needed win. I think we have missed Allbrighton the last few games - He wasn't ready against Liverpool. Hogg is steadily growing into a decent premier league player game by game. I'm glad Houllier made the decision to drop Dunne and bring Cuellar in. No Ireland on bench - hope he wasnt injured because theres no doubt we should just get rid of in January. Swap for Scott Parker...

Dont think Spurs will swap Angry
Oh hes going to Spurs... Anyway he's 30 now so West Ham might as well cash in on him. In a year or two he wont be worth a lot.