Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Aston Villa, and other football teams!
Excellent post Will. I just think Ireland never really wanted to join Villa and the sooner we get rid of him the better. He also hasnt played a lot of football for a long while now. Young - theres no doubt he has not found the form that he had in his second season with us. I think he has become very predictable on the left wing. Teams double up on in. I actually think he has done pretty well in the hole and hes still learning the position. I would hate to loose a player of that quality. A much better player than Milner in my opinion. I do think the potential to be a very influential player in that hole is there.....We just need Albrighton back because hes our spark. We played great against united, but that side yesterday would have been thrashed by them.

Houllier has a big job on his hands, a lot of this squad has to be moved on and we need to builld with young players like Albrighton, Bannan, Clarke, Hogg, Delfounso, Lichaj, Wieman etc... and then bring in some real quality.MON did a good job but he signed a lot of average players who we need to get of the payroll. I don't rate Warnock, in fact I rate Shorey as a better player, - no brain, Luke Young looks past it... Lichaj would be a better option. Dunne has not been the same this season, maybe hes carrying an injury.
Agree with all of that.... except I'd want somebody better in the "hole" but I could live with the Ashley of a few years back in there. Don't get me started on Warnock... how he is near the England squad.... anyway.

Dunne apparently has a clause in his contract that says that if he thinks that he is fit, then he has to play. The rumour in the Away fans is that he does his "fitness" training in the local O'Neils with Gareth Barry (who has also added a bit of timber this year). I think Cuellar must have slept with a Gerard's wife as the only time he's played under GH he was outstanding (Wolves away). I'd be tempted to bring CC into the back 4 instead of Dunne, and move Luke Young over to the left until we sign another LB and play Lihaj...

Mercifully I'm working in Spain this week, so won't be able to see us getting beaten by the Blues on Weds.... :-(
Is ONeill overrated..

1) he bought some stinkers ..... Harewood; Sidwell; Knight; Spurs winger whose name escapes me; Celtic winger ditto

2) he paid too much for others ..... Heskey; Reo-Coker; Downing; Curtis Davis

3) he put fringe players on £40K per week

4) he sold some fine young players ..... Steven Davis; Cahill

5) he picked the same side every week - by season's end they wre worn out

6) he never gave young players a chance

7) he never changed tactics .... substitutions were Heskey for Carew or visa versa
Totally agree Andrew, Oneill is a very limited manager. He paid 8 million? for Davies and sold a far better player in Cahill. Yet when you listen to the tv pundits, he did a wonderful job. Well with the money he spent he did about par with what he should have done. Oh and Barry Bannan would have left us if Oneill was still the manager.
(29-11-2010, 12:10 PM)Paul Wrote: Totally agree Andrew, Oneill is a very limited manager. He paid 8 million? for Davies and sold a far better player in Cahill. Yet when you listen to the tv pundits, he did a wonderful job. Well with the money he spent he did about par with what he should have done. Oh and Barry Bannan would have left us if Oneill was still the manager.

But hes done very well everywhere other than Villa. Think its very tough to make progress at these middle ranking clubs now. But he lost his sure touch in the transfer market at Villa for sure. Harewood at that price for heavens sake

Would he do a short term deal at WHU in place of Grunt I wonder?
Supporter of the 2014 County Champions
Sorry forgot...

8/ Mostly played centre halves (Mellberg / Cueller) at right back.

9/ Played a right back (L Young) at left back.

10/ Got to 1/4 Finals of Europa League and then chucked it!!
He did well at Leicester without a doubt.

At Celtic I am not so sure.
(29-11-2010, 06:03 PM)Kim Wrote:
(29-11-2010, 12:10 PM)Paul Wrote: Totally agree Andrew, Oneill is a very limited manager. He paid 8 million? for Davies and sold a far better player in Cahill. Yet when you listen to the tv pundits, he did a wonderful job. Well with the money he spent he did about par with what he should have done. Oh and Barry Bannan would have left us if Oneill was still the manager.

But hes done very well everywhere other than Villa. Think its very tough to make progress at these middle ranking clubs now. But he lost his sure touch in the transfer market at Villa for sure. Harewood at that price for heavens sake

Would he do a short term deal at WHU in place of Grunt I wonder?

He'd need money from the board.
Supporter of 2012 County Relegation candidates

Took Wycombe into the league too. Won a lot at Celtic and took them to a European final but hard to tell if thats good or not in Scotland Id agree Andrew.

That Europa league thing did him a lot of harm at Villa, didnt it?

I reckon he will reemerge at Liverpool where the fans really dont like Hodgson at all.
Hodgson is doing a good job with that side in my opinion. I know you regard Villa as a middle club Kim but Oneill spent more than Arsenal or Spurs during his time at Villa. He didn't really do much better than Oleary who spent nothing. Hes got that spark and energy but tacticaly hes not that good in my opinion. Hes great for the media but Andrew has made enough points about why I don't think his term at Villa can be classed as successful.

The thing is he hasnt managed big time players. Hes had success with lower league clubs or small town clubs like Leicester. Its difficult to talk about success in Scotland because theres only two teams who compete for trophies. Now Alex Ferguson was successful in Scotland with a small club like Aberdeen.
(29-11-2010, 06:12 PM)Kim Wrote: Took Wycombe into the league too. Won a lot at Celtic and took them to a European final but hard to tell if thats good or not in Scotland Id agree Andrew.

That Europa league thing did him a lot of harm at Villa, didnt it?

I reckon he will reemerge at Liverpool where the fans really dont like Hodgson at all.

I actually didnt disagree with his decision. He gambled on getting into the champions league football and it backfired. Hes kept very quiet since he left Villa. I don't think he will go straight back into management this season if Hodgson gets sacked - I think he would be too embarassed after the way he walked out on Villa...

(29-11-2010, 06:38 PM)Paul Wrote: Hodgson is doing a good job with that side in my opinion. I know you regard Villa as a middle club Kim but Oneill spent more than Arsenal or Spurs during his time at Villa. He didn't really do much better than Oleary who spent nothing. Hes got that spark and energy but tacticaly hes not that good in my opinion. Hes great for the media but Andrew has made enough points about why I don't think his term at Villa can be classed as successful.

The thing is he hasnt managed big time players. Hes had success with lower league clubs or small town clubs like Leicester. Its difficult to talk about success in Scotland because theres only two teams who compete for trophies. Now Alex Ferguson was successful in Scotland with a small club like Aberdeen.

But the fans really, really dislike him. Big Liverpool area up here and the feeling is he just doesnt get what the club is about. General view is he's a media darling who, underneath it all, hasnt a clue.

I wouldnt know but buying Paul Konchesky isnt a good sign.
Supporters can be a bit miguided at times. What exactly do Liverpool fans expect when Hodgson inherited a very poor squad of players. He knew what he would get from Konchesky and if the money hasnt been there then what can he do. Hodgson is probably not suited to managing a club like Liverpool because he hasnt got any charisma. He comes over very dour and boring. A bit like the West Ham manager.

To be honest I thought Hodgson was a very strange choice of manager for Liverpool. Oneill would appease the fans but I've heard Arsenal fans want Wenger sacked and Oneill as their new manager - fans are clueless.
I dont think they are that bothered about the results - they just dont like him. Prefer their managers with a bit of character. Media make me laugh over Hodgson; one half decent season with Fulham and they want him to be the next England manager. Half a dozen bad games for Pool and they speculate on his sacking. Grants the same - inexplicably seen by the media as a good choice, despite a serial losers CV and the charm of a long dead prawn, now its all "when will he be sacked?".

At least I wanted him OUT! the day he was appointed so Im consistent (though perhaps a bit swift to judge).
Avram is staying then Angry

Yes what a result. I think its been coming for a while for united.
(01-12-2010, 03:14 PM)Paul Wrote: Yes what a result. I think its been coming for a while for united.

29 games I think.

Silly scenes at the end of the Birmingham/Villa game last night. I wonder if it WILL affect the result of the vote today??
T20 Fantasy League Champion 2010
I doubt it Jane. I guess the votes have already been decided. With regard to the game, Villa do look like a team with a losing mentality. For large parts Villa controlled the game especially in midfield where they had the kids. I don't know Houllier took Bannan off for Ireland. He was having a growing influence in the game. Good luck to Blues in the cup. Sorry Kim I still want the local sides to do well....
Not silly scenes,Jane. Very sad and serious scenes not just for Blues and, to a lesser extent Villa but for the City of Birmingham. I just hope CCTV identifies most of the pitch invaders and seat rippers and get 'em into court.

What I just can't understand cricket and rugby have none of these problems - where any "taunting" of opposition fans is good humoured.
LE - aka John